Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 PM
JAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
R129 Trip Computer

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone outside of the U.S. (blueSL) has the OEM trip computer as an option. It was not an available option in the U.S. however, I am contemplating ordering the parts and installing. Does anyone have any information? From what I understand, the trip computer is installed in the pop-up center console above the center vents. In my car (SL600), that space has a built-in cell phone keypad.

This option was also available in the W140 outside of the U.S.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I've never come across it, though having had that part of my car apart, there's no wiring loom connection to plug it into behingd the pop-up storage compartment, so I've no idea what's involved.

In my car, that storage compartment was described as being for sunglasses storage. The earliest 129s had a full glove box, operated by the second of the two buttons to the left of the centre vent assembly. But as soon as air bags were introduced, the glove box went and the second button was blocked off and left redundant for most of the car's 12 year life.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:12 AM

500 SL
It' maded and explained and described

Hi all, all this fittment it's maded and explained with full details, instructions and pieces numbers and prices here:

http://www.classic-roadster.de/

Under Tips and Modifications:

"Reiserechner"
Old 07-27-2004, 10:09 PM
JAM

SL600
Very good info. I am now working on getting the parts.... Great website for other R129 fans to check out.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Very interesting but the $1100 for a replacement centre console with the additional holes is a bit of a killer. If I was doing this, I'd have a go with a Dremel to cut out the new ones to dramatically reduce the cost of the project. It would be good to know too if the unit can be configured for miles instead of km and for US gallons instead of litres.

Interesting too to see a number of detailed changes in this late model 600 compared to my mid-life model.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:21 AM
JAM

SL600
I had already planned to go the Dremmel route. I used this to add a full bank of switches in my W202 and it worked very well. From other research, I believe that the unit is switchable from English to metric. I am also going to add the controller for the AUX heating system (right of trip computer switches).

The AUX heating was not available as an option in the U.S. Does any from overseas have this option?

In the U.S., "Sunman," actually installed the entire AUX heating system in his W203!

The other option that I am going to add is folding mirrors (more Dremmel work on the console). I do not understand why they did not offer folding mirrors in the U.S., considering that my W140 has folding mirrors as standard equipment.