SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Trouble removing outside door handle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 500sl
Trouble removing outside door handle

I am having trouble removing my door handle. The key no longer locks and unlocks the car and I suspect some plastic or something on the inside is broken.
I have seen this video for MB plenty of times and cannot force the lock out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmsozrMVXY
I cannot pry it out either amd I am using a good amount of force, but can always use more. Just afraid to break everything. I know I get the little screw undone, I can see it. I'm wondering if my issue is related to the key basically not doing anything when it is turned so it doesn't disconnect something that is holding the lock in. Has anyone else had this issue?

Editing to say it's a 97 500sl
Old 05-20-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Is the IR unit popping out? If the car has been resprayed or painted, sometimes paint and prep chemicals can “glue” the gasket/mounding, handle and body together.
Also age and old detailing chemicals can also have this effect. Btw once the IR unit comes out I believe you need to pull the handle towards the back of the car and release it. Then you can lift it out.

Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:09 AM

1999 500sl
Originally Posted by crconsulting
Is the IR unit popping out? If the car has been resprayed or painted, sometimes paint and prep chemicals can “glue” the gasket/mounding, handle and body together.
Also age and old detailing chemicals can also have this effect. Btw once the IR unit comes out I believe you need to pull the handle towards the back of the car and release it. Then you can lift it out.

Good Luck!
Thanks for responding! But no that is the part I cant get out, the IR unit. It separates like a cm from the car maybe and just doesn't go any further. But yea otherwise the gasket moves and the car has never been resprayed.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nekola90
Thanks for responding! But no that is the part I cant get out, the IR unit. It separates like a cm from the car maybe and just doesn't go any further. But yea otherwise the gasket moves and the car has never been resprayed.
The fact that its moving 1/2" (10mm) means it's probably hung up on something. It should pop out relatively easy. But every car/history is different. Are you sure there are not a couple of threads engaged on the little fastener/bolt? Sometimes it helps to pull on the IR unit WHILE loosening the bolt just to make sure its completely loose.

Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:52 AM

1999 500sl
The fact that its moving 1/2" (10mm) means it's probably hung up on something. It should pop out relatively easy. But every car/history is different. Are you sure there are not a couple of threads engaged on the little fastener/bolt? Sometimes it helps to pull on the IR unit WHILE loosening the bolt just to make sure its completely loose.

Good Luck!
Yup I can see the bolt separated from the unit, and im prying with a screw driver to help wiggle it out. I just cant use too much force as I've already put a dent in the door this way haha. But yea basically am wondering what it could possibly be stuck on, and will it break if i go harder on it.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:06 AM

Yup I can see the bolt separated from the unit, and im prying with a screw driver to help wiggle it out. I just cant use too much force as I've already put a dent in the door this way haha. But yea basically am wondering what it could possibly be stuck on, and will it break if i go harder on it.

Yeah thats getting ugly. The shaft end may be notched from wear/seized on the inner mechanism or something on that inner mechanism came loose/broke. I don't remember exactly what the inner mechanism looks like. It may help to jiggle the key back an fourth in the lock while pulling, (though you've probably tried that already)

Here's what you're dealing with below. You can see the end of that long shaft has a blade which is probably what is holding it in.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 AM

1999 500sl
Yeah thats getting ugly. The shaft end may be notched from wear/seized on the inner mechanism or something on that inner mechanism came loose/broke. I don't remember exactly what the inner mechanism looks like. It may help to jiggle the key back an fourth in the lock while pulling, (though you've probably tried that already)

Here's what you're dealing with below. You can see the end of that long shaft has a blade which is probably what is holding it in.

Yea looks like its a metal shaft too which likely won't break. Maybe whatever component its connected to will instead. I did just think of spraying some wd40 in there. I'll have to try that and go and pry some more. I dont really want to completely break the unit and have to deal with getting a key made somehow. I love how it's never as easy as the videos make it seem.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:09 AM

Yea looks like its a metal shaft too which likely won't break. Maybe whatever component its connected to will instead. I did just think of spraying some wd40 in there. I'll have to try that and go and pry some more. I dont really want to completely break the unit and have to deal with getting a key made somehow. I love how it's never as easy as the videos make it seem.
I would definitely jiggle that key from open and closed position to see of that will loosen it too.
Also you may want look at the key replacement (or lack thereof) posts is this forum. It may be hard to source keys. You can probably get a key cut, but the IR parts seems to be an issue.

Good Luck!

Last edited by crconsulting; 05-20-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:20 AM

1999 500sl
I would definitely jiggle that key from open and closed position to see of that will loosen it too.
Also you may want look at the key replacement (or lack thereof) posts is this forum. At may be hard to source keys. You can probably get a key cut, but the IR parts seems to be an issue.

Good Luck!
Yes I will definitely try that. Maybe the IR part can be separated from the chamber?
And I've definitely been following the whole key saga for a couple years now, which is mostly why I don't want to break anything haha.