SL/R129: My sl gearbox looks like it s slipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 SL 300-24
Question My sl gearbox looks like it s slipping

Hello,
A few years ago, I bought a 1992 SL 300-24. The car was neglected and had been in an impound lot since 2004. When I got it, it was missing some fun stuff like the roof-computer, it would not run as the ignition module died while standing and if i would continue typing this would become a very loing post...

Most of the issues could be resolved using the online community, but the last one seems to be hard:
The engine runs fine, gearbox engages fine, but especially when it is cold it sometimes slips to 1 or 2 gears lower, other times it s as it just does not engage properly, not that I am accelerating very hard,it s mostly when you try to maintain a certain speed 50km/h or 70km/h and it gets a little resistance when it gets a little hilly.. This is not very noticeble any more when the car has been driven some km (10-15).
- Changed oil and filter in gearbox + torque converter (Febi oil), it is at max when hot and running
- changed the EZL back to a siemens unit as it was originally equiped (now have a bosh spare)
- took out the microswitch in the gearstick assembly. It was readig a resistance, opened it up cleaned the contacts, now reads ok
- adjusted bowden cable

The only thing that is still on my todo is try and disconnect the kickdown switch at the pedal,
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this behaviour in a 5speed transmission. What else could be causing this?
Old 09-01-2021, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 SL 300-24
Replaced the gearbox because the solenoid was shot and found a lot of particles in the oil. Replaced with a good one, still skips 4th gear, the sensor on the bottom at the end seems to be faulty and cannot be replaced solely, you need the wiring harness for the gearbox. Does anyone know the specifics of this sensor. VDO could possibly help but they need info.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
'86 300 SDL, '91 BMW M5, '91 BMW 735iL
Originally Posted by jdsv
Replaced the gearbox because the solenoid was shot and found a lot of particles in the oil. Replaced with a good one, still skips 4th gear, the sensor on the bottom at the end seems to be faulty and cannot be replaced solely, you need the wiring harness for the gearbox. Does anyone know the specifics of this sensor. VDO could possibly help but they need info.
What makes you believe it is skipping 4th gear? The SL starts out in 2nd gear unless it's floored when you are starting off the line. Or you can manually move the gear selector to 1st gear before you start off.