SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Any broken sunvisor parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
R129 SL500
Any broken sunvisor parts?

I set about replacing the visible trim caps on my '02 this morning. Both were badly cracked and, it turned out, had been *glued* back into the windshield header trim (sigh).

Driver's side R&R went well in the end, no issues there. Passenger side removal revealed that some gorilla had, in the past, broken the black plastic supporting bracket itself. The centering pin had been snapped off and badly glued back in, and the entire bracket had a sheen of dried adhesive suggesting it had been damaged as well.

So what I'm wondering is if someone has a passenger-side mounting block in good shape from an otherwise damaged/dead sunvisor? The pic isn't my part but it's the best close-up of the piece I'm referencing. I haven't found a standalone part number for it.

For now the mirror is attached with the two screws, and passengers are advised not to move it other than flipping it up and down since I don't want to torque the bracket. Reinstalling it required a third hand to press in the right way to get alignment with the second screw so the deformation on the black piece is enough to matter.

Many thanks!