SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 M113 Modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
w210 E55
Originally Posted by AndreasHannover
Hate because of a question? Really? Isn't that a bit childish?

You literally told me my idea doesn’t work/dumb. But yet I’ve proven it actually worked. Please find dyno numbers from the renntech or brabus airboxes thanks.
The following users liked this post:
SLGuy408 (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
c43
For those that may be interested. I been modding oem air boxes for over 6 years now. I mod them to fit the car like oem and still use the same air filters or other performance ones.

Send me a picture of your air box and tell me how high you want it and I will cut the box in half and raise it. Make sure your measurements will allow the hood to close. Renntech usually raises some of their air boxes about one inch and that’s what o like to do too.

I also clean up most of the plastic flaps inside the boxes for faster flow. My prices go between 455-545 depending if I provide the air boxes.

If you send me yours it will be cheaper. For reviews on my air boxes from customers just google speed43 air box.

If interested send me a pm or email.

Speed43mods@gmail.com

Last edited by speed43; 10-30-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
SL500
Hate because of a question? Really? Isn't that a bit childish?
Actually you know what, I was going to let you slide but I feel like being childish.

Your question was not a genuine one, it was quite condescending actually and was designed to belittle my modification. Your implication was that I didn't know what I was talking about or doing because why would 1 change in air flow add horsepower. This is evident because instead of acknowledging, or countering, the points I made in my initial response to you, you doubled down with that silly little picture. Because the truth is, you don't have a response to the points that I laid out.

Why is there a billion dollar industry dedicated to aftermarket intakes if changing airflow doesn't matter? Why does Mercedes no longer use baffles? You don't have an answer because it wasn't a genuine question, you set out to try and belittle me and failed quite spectacularly. You were rightfully called a "hater" because that is what you are, you did not set out to engage in a meaningful discussion. This is further evident because again when the opportunity arose to offer an opinion or counterpoint you instead played the victim card, "Really?, Isn't that a bit childish?", Yes, people tend to treat others in the same regard they are treated, and you're acting quite childish yourself.

If anyone has a genuine question, or an evidence based point to show why I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to hear it.
eurochargedw210 (10-29-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 12:27 AM

Received 194 Likes on 152 Posts
1997 MB SL600
I have no doubt RENNtech's airboxes improve performance as THEY state, but claiming your mods have the same effect as theirs is doubtful.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/..._R129_2006.pdf

Give Hartmut Feyhl a call and let him know your stuff is as good as his, maybe he'll hire you.

I just pulled the 4 push pins that hold the intake baffles and removed the baffles, the car made so much power now, I'm writing this from low earth orbit. Why didn't somebody think of this sooner?
Old 10-30-2022, 02:15 AM

w210 E55
Originally Posted by mahunt
I have no doubt RENNtech's airboxes improve performance as THEY state, but claiming your mods have the same effect as theirs is doubtful.

Give Hartmut Feyhl a call and let him know your stuff is as good as his, maybe he'll hire you.

I just pulled the 4 push pins that hold the intake baffles and removed the baffles, the car made so much power now, I'm writing this from low earth orbit. Why didn't somebody think of this sooner?
Wondering where are all these dyno sheets, from these 389hp renntech engines. My e55 made 370whp that’s easily in the 450hp crank range.

Your comment makes it seem like you don’t know much about cars, Crank hp Vs horsepower to the wheels. Last time I checked renntechs just been ripping people off since the late 90s.

SLGuy408 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 02:17 AM

w210 E55

Why would anyone pay 27k for 71hp. Renntech built some cool cars for sure. But just overpriced. I have dyno graphs, acceleration times, to prove that my mods actually worked.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:26 AM

SL500

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

O Makunt, Makunt, Makunt, why you so mad?

Please quote precisely where I said that m113k airboxes make as much or more HP than Renntech airboxes. I'll give you a hint, you can't, because I never said that. The only things that I have said were the modifications that I have done to MY car and the logic behind those modifications, which is the point of this thread. I'm not selling anything or saying that the m113k intake, a modification that I actually didn't come up with, is better than anything else.

Your childish temper tantrum is proving precisely my point, instead of articulating why you disagree with the modifications that I have done, you choose to insult me, which only goes to show your ignorance and inability to defend your ideas.

Happy Halloween!

O and btw, someone else came up with the baffle delete mod in like 2006, which is where I got the idea from, so someone did think of it sooner lol.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-30-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:23 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by SLGuy408
Your question was not a genuine one,
It was and is. Take the intake tubes in front of a blower and try to feel or measure the difference at the back side of the intake.

Why is there a billion dollar industry dedicated to aftermarket intakes if changing airflow doesn't matter?
To make money for nothing.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:53 AM

SL500
It was and is. Take the intake tubes in front of a blower and try to feel or measure the difference at the back side of the intake.

To make money for nothing.
Why don't you do that and tell us what you find. Ooooo great answer, billion dollar industry based on a conspiracy eh?

This thread clearly isn't for you. This thread is for men to talk about modifications. Cylinder heads, camshafts, dyno tunes, and 1/4 mile times, things you clearly have no interest in.

The me and my fat wife went on a nice Sunday drive for tea and crumpets thread can be found elsewhere on this forum, go there, have a ball, and leave us alone.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-30-2022 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:20 AM

SL600
When the arguments aren't there, you gotta get personal, right? I just built the ventilation system in my house. After the third change of direction, the pressure is gone. This got me curious here, but I don't want to bore you with physics.

If you still have the opportunity to place a fan in front of the entrance and check the exit, try it. I expect that there is nothing, but what do I know. So in vain AMG expanded the cylinder heads, installed different camshafts and air filter housings, they just had to remove the plate? Or even better, if I remove the plates on my AMG, will the engine deliver an additional 20 hp? Do you have any idea why AMG didn't do that and instead increased the intake only?

Old 10-30-2022, 05:48 AM

SL500
When the arguments aren't there, you gotta get personal, right? I just built the ventilation system in my house. After the third change of direction, the pressure is gone. This got me curious here, but I don't want to bore you with physics.

If you still have the opportunity to place a fan in front of the entrance and check the exit, try it. I expect that there is nothing, but what do I know. So in vain AMG expanded the cylinder heads, installed different camshafts and air filter housings, they just had to remove the plate? Or even better, if I remove the plates on my AMG, will the engine deliver an additional 20 hp? Do you have any idea why AMG didn't do that and instead increased the intake only?
Well alright Andreas, saying it with your chest. I like it.

As I said before, manufacturers have to deal with a lot of different factors. For one removing the baffles lets in a tremendous amount of debris, that decimates service intervals. I now have to change my air filters every 3k miles due to this modification. Moreover there is the potential for hydro locking in the rain and of course the noise factor, things that a major manufacturer would not want to be liable for.

I don't know how your ventilation system is setup but I don't think the 2 are comparable. An engine is essentially a pump, it pulls in the air in rather then blowing air through, it really cant loose pressure around bends since its a vacuum.

But you are right, AMG did in vain install different air intake housings WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM USING ON MY CAR, E55 AMG M113K AIR INTAKE BOXES. And again your argument is that what, cylinder heads is mutually exclusive from an intake mod? Honestly the mental gymnastics you and makunt are pulling is beyond ridiculous.

This thread is for those that have modified their m113 engines, if you haven't modified your m113 then you have nothing to add to the conversation.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-30-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:17 AM

SL600
The engine draws in 125 liters (33 gallons) of air per second at 6000 rpm, hydrolocking is probably not a factor unless you drive 180 miles through a tornado.

Each tube offers resistance, the longer the more. Any change in direction offers resistance, the stronger the higher. Whether it's sucking or blowing, it's not a vacuum, it's lower pressure. According to my observations, with so many changes of direction, it doesn't matter whether another one comes along, it no longer has an effect.You can try this by blowing air in and seeing if anything comes through at the other end. At some point this is simply no longer the case, the air column practically comes to a standstill. Then only a lot of power helps to build up additional pressure, i.e. turbo or compressor.

Edit:
Honestly the mental gymnastics you and makunt are pulling is beyond ridiculous.
Thank you for being honest. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it ridiculous. It would be ridiculous to have to ask your permission to add anything.

I find it very positive to discover mistakes, which protects other people from disappointment. And by the way:

Last edited by AndreasHannover; 10-30-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:22 PM

SL500
The engine draws in 125 liters (33 gallons) of air per second at 6000 rpm, hydrolocking is probably not a factor unless you drive 180 miles through a tornado.

Each tube offers resistance, the longer the more. Any change in direction offers resistance, the stronger the higher. Whether it's sucking or blowing, it's not a vacuum, it's lower pressure. According to my observations, with so many changes of direction, it doesn't matter whether another one comes along, it no longer has an effect.You can try this by blowing air in and seeing if anything comes through at the other end. At some point this is simply no longer the case, the air column practically comes to a standstill. Then only a lot of power helps to build up additional pressure, i.e. turbo or compressor.

Edit:

Thank you for being honest. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it ridiculous. It would be ridiculous to have to ask your permission to add anything.

I find it very positive to discover mistakes, which protects other people from disappointment. And by the way:
O andreas andreas andreas, air is compressible water is not. How much air an engine takes in at speed doesn't matter. Do you even know what it means to hydrolock and engine?

Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid is greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke aka TDC) enters the cylinder. Since liquids are nearly incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur. As you can imagine, it actually doesn't take much liquid to fill a cylinder at TDC.

Which actually brings me nicely to the second point, looks like that is a picture of a G Wagon yes? So, manufacturers purposely plumb air intakes into the fenders of their SUV's in order to prevent hydrolocking because they know that offroaders that buy these SUV's like to drive them in water. This is also why you'll see people add snorkel intakes to their trucks, these people aren't looking for HP and they understand just how bad a little water into the engine can be.

Ah, finally Andreas uses some logic to defend his opinion, good for you. I disagree, as does most of the industry. Hell even Makunt has a Renntech air intake on his car. There are literally hundreds of youtube videos proving HP/TQ gains with air intake modifications. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, cold air intake is common knowledge.

I'm not going to sit here and explain for the thousandth time why you're absolutely wrong and how a house's HVAC system is not in any way shape of form comparable to the intake system of a moving object with an engine. Re-read this thread, I've already explained the logic to the modification in my first, second, and third responses to you. Why don't you do a google search cold air intakes and educate yourself.

BTW, you shifted your argument. First you say that all aftermarket intake mods are scams then you say that AMG meticulously designed their air intake housings when trying to denigrate me. So which one is it? Are all intake mods scams or is there an actual science to it?

The only person who doesn't understand anything is YOU. Perhaps you will do us all a favor and be honest with yourself and see that you aren't contributing anything to this thread.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-30-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:43 AM

SL600
O andreas andreas andreas, air is compressible water is not. How much air an engine takes in at speed doesn't matter. Do you even know what it means to hydrolock and engine?
I do, you maybe. But it seems you have no idea to calculate the amount of water to fill the engine. And it doesnt matter if air flow inside a car or a house..

Are all intake mods scams or is there an actual science to it?
I tried to write as simple as i could. Sorry, i can't do it any simpler.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Enjoy the video

Old 10-31-2022, 01:28 PM

SL500
I do, you maybe. But it seems you have no idea to calculate the amount of water to fill the engine. And it doesnt matter if air flow inside a car or a house..

I tried to write as simple as i could. Sorry, i can't do it any simpler.
Hahaha SMH, If you think that anyone reading this thread cannot see through your evasive non-answers you are absolutely delusional. You can act smug all you want, the only thing you've done is embarrass yourself.

You are right though, all houses have to contend with aerodynamics because they travel through the air at 80MPH. And of course the houses engine will run much more efficiently with colder dense air from outside the houses engine compartment. You know how much the houses ECU's love lower IAT's. LMAO

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I think adding an LSD will help put the power down at the track and lower my 60ft times. Of course it would be a lot of fun on the street as well.

From what I can tell there are 3 options: 1. Kleeman 2. Quaife 3. Wavetrac. The Quaife seems to be the most popular.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-31-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:35 PM

w210 E55
Hahaha SMH, If you think that anyone reading this thread cannot see through your evasive non-answers you are absolutely delusional. You can act smug all you want, the only thing you've done is embarrass yourself.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I think adding an LSD will help put the power down at the track and lower my 60ft times. From what I can tell there are 3 options: 1. Kleeman 2. Quaife 3. Wavetrac. The Quaife seems to be the most popular.

I didn’t think wavetrac had a lsd for this size diff. Quaife defiantly does. Great mod for the cost. I will try and dyno my car this week. Seems like 5.0 113s usually make 255 to 260whp. Will see if my intake and removing the secondary cats made any improvements.

Also at the time I installed the 80mm throttle body on my 210 E55. Every calculation I did said 74mm was more than enough for making 350whp. But when I dynoed it after the 80mm tb is gained 20whp. I really need to find a 5.4 and swap it. I think also buying a new intake manifold will make some more power. Also hit up Speed43 for one of his MAF to intake manifold elbows. They seem to work well.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:57 PM

SL500
Here's the link I found for the wavetrac lsd: Wavetrac 50309150WK. Still not sure which would be the best one. EDIT: Looks like it's only for 90-92 R129's

I guess Quaife and Kleeman are the only LSD options for later model R129's.

Funny that you would bring up TB mods, I was actually just looking into that myself. Did you bore out the intake manifold to 80mm as well? Is there aftermarket intake manifolds?

I assume the Speed43 MAF to intake elbow is for the 80mm TB as well?

Last edited by SLGuy408; 10-31-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:11 PM

w210 E55
Here's the link I found for the wavetrac lsd: Wavetrac 50309150WK. Still not sure which would be the best one. EDIT: Looks like it's only for 90-92 R129's

Funny that you would bring up TB mods, I was actually just looking into that myself. Did you bore out the intake manifold to 80mm as well? Is there aftermarket intake manifolds?

I think the kleeman is a quaife.

I did, but you can’t bore it out to 80mm. Not enough material. It’s really not worth it. Lots of work, I used a hemi TB and a 74 to 80 adapter used from the hemi also.

It’s just a stick elbow he smooths out and cuts the fins out of. Nice piece for $50.

SLGuy408 (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 03:14 PM

w210 E55

search 2002 e55 build thread. It shows some of the throttle body mods.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:30 PM

Received 194 Likes on 152 Posts
1997 MB SL600
If you are watching from home kids, listen to the guys that actually know and have the real performance stuff (not the poseurs).

99+ brakes on an older R129.

Regular R129 99+ Brembo front caliper with Silver Arrow rotor. Nice!

Better Intake.

Yup, RENNtech stuff on my car. Not just words about how this should be or that. No BS, just real.

Suspension mods to get the rear to hook better. Sure, why not!

Full heim joint rear suspension. Wait, is that shiny thing in the center of the photo a stainless steel resonator eliminator all the way from Japan. Because I'm not some lame name calling braggart, IT IS!

New extra duty injectors, Say it isn't so!

V12 engines are a little tougher to work on, but I can handle it.

Swap out all the diff and rear sub-frame bushings because the V12 gets down.

That pumpkin weighs 105 pounds. Happy Halloween PAMF'ers.

Can't forget a little suspension help in the front to help with all that 12 cylinder goodness.

Sure the strut bar looks nice, but how about the crinkle red powder coat on the valve covers and the cross-ram intake. Makes you want to rethink driving a V8.

I know, I know; I shouldn't disparage the V8 engine.

Hey, what's that beside my Benz? Is that a Bolero Red 67 Camaro SS 350 RS with power everything? It sure is! Everybody says it's a panty dropper. I guess my detractors wouldn't understand; they are too busy talking their nonsense, hoping someone will believe the junk they are making up.

Are there more mods to the SL600, does a chicken have a pecker?

We haven't even got into the interior or V12 specific items. Do I dislike folks who modify their R129s? You be the judge, but be careful with negativity because there's way more stuff to this car than a regular appearing silver SL600 with the Sport option.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:48 AM

SL500
Lol, this guy, still got it in your head that I've said something negative about your mods. In fact the only one of use two to "poo poo" a mod was you to me. Still haven't explained how those baffles "pool" the air, but I digress.

Nice work and nice car, genuinely.

Perhaps instead of like acting like a child you'll share some knowledge and engage in a discussion instead of insulting everyone that doesn't modify their car exactly the way you that you've done. There's many ways to skin a cat, just because you have an AMG muffler and someone else has a Eisenmann or Super Sprint muffler doesn't mean either person is wrong.

You can also disagree with someone without throwing a temper tantrum.

Last edited by SLGuy408; 11-01-2022 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:52 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by eurochargedw210
I think the kleeman is a quaife.

I did, but you can’t bore it out to 80mm. Not enough material. It’s really not worth it. Lots of work, I used a hemi TB and a 74 to 80 adapter used from the hemi also.

It’s just a stick elbow he smooths out and cuts the fins out of. Nice piece for $50.
Nice, I just looked up the original thread Speed43 posted about the MAF elbow mod, that looks awesome. I didn't even realize those restrictions were in there. And $50 bucks too, not bad.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:36 AM

SL600
In fact the only one of use two to "poo poo" a mod was you to me.
Hmm...

O Makunt, Makunt, Makunt, why you so mad? Your childish temper tantrum [...] you choose to insult me, which only goes to show your ignorance and inability to defend your ideas.
Honestly the mental gymnastics you and makunt are pulling is beyond ridiculous.
Telling from a guy who think

remove the intake baffles on the radiator so that the intake is getting "ram" air from the grill.
leads

"ram" air directly into the intake manifold.
ignoring there are some direction changes that will hinder air flow because

it really cant loose pressure around bends since its a vacuum.
and some more statements about physics which are just as wrong

there is the potential for hydro locking in the rain
ignoring that natural law applies to everyone

a house's HVAC system is not in any way shape of form comparable to the intake system of a moving object with an engine.
And that actually sums up all the half-knowledge: If you don't understand something, make fun of it

You are right though, all houses have to contend with aerodynamics because they travel through the air at 80MPH. And of course the houses engine will run much more efficiently with colder dense air from outside the houses engine compartment. You know how much the houses ECU's love lower IAT's. LMAO
No, it makes no difference, natural laws apply everywhere. The speed of the air in the tube is more than 40 miles per hour, there's just no time to get any hotter than outside. Which, by the way, is a change in your argumentation, you startet with

Ram air = HP.
not cold air.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Wow.. that went south pretty quick.
Any chance we can turn around and head up north again guys?
SLGuy408 (11-01-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R129: R129 M113 Modifications