SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 300sl stalls after longer drives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 dodge diplomat, 01 f150, 81/84 928s, 82 240d, 90 300sl, 03 xj8, 01 s type 3.0, 05 s type r
300sl stalls after longer drives

Hello y'all I recently picked up a high mileage 90' 300sl from the original owner who used it to drive cross country for veterans outreach he had three of them and this was the first to go. Anyway I didn't have any problems with the car till I drove it about 300+ miles in about 5/6 hours around the Austin/ San Antonio area. Got home and after doing a little searching I noticed my EGR valve was completely clogged so i replaced that with w used one out of a 93' 300sel which was fine drove it around no problem until I went for a drive with a group of fellow Mercedes owners in which case after about 3 hours of driving the car started stalling at low speeds ( 1-2) mph but was fine on the highways. Got to my buddies apartment and it started stalling running extremely rough and would stall out below or run rough under 3rd gear when I changed to 4th it would run fine again. I let the car sit for about 7 hours unplugged the EGR valve just a little so air was getting in and it a little rough for the first 5-10 miles but worked fine after that. I took off the EGR valve and it looks fine and holds vacuum. I just can't understand why the car is eating EGR valves this quickly and only after longer drives. Would a delete be possible I've seen it done on trucks and diesel cars. Btw the temperature stays normal, oil is clean, coolant is a little dirty but it's just old I did a partial flush since my valve is broken.

^ that happened the first time the EGR went bad hasn't done it since
below is the old EGR valve the top was removed already by me, it's completely clogged