SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Weird Rattle (I promise I searched & researched)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 03:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1997 SL500
Weird Rattle (I promise I searched & researched)

Yes, the dreaded "rattle".......

Just heard my first rattle for the first time today.

I drove the car to a client today that's about 40 minutes away from my home and roughly 25 minutes into the drive I heard this really weird rattle that sounded like it came from behind the drivers seat either somewhere in the rear where the electric folding windscreen is, or underneath the rear floor of the car just to the rear of where you're sitting in the drivers seat. It literally sound like a mouse or some small creature got whacked by the drive shaft or something like that. (think: baseball cards in bicycle spokes, but with much more bass)

I should mention that my windscreen is currently down and the red lights on the button that control that mechanism have been blinking forever, but I've just ignored them. I believe they're blinking because the screen isn't fully seated all the way in the down position but I could be wrong. Could the sound be coming from that motor that's trying to either raise or lower the windscreen?

I've already replaced the flex guibo's and other assorted bits along the driveshaft so I know the sound is not coming from there. The suspension all the way around the car is brand new as is the brake rotors and brake pads and there are no weird sounds coming from any of those areas.

This is going to sound crazy, but here goes........

The white, plastic curtesy light lens cover on the left (passenger side) was missing so I ordered a new one and popped it into place. (see picture below) Once I popped it into place (without putting a bulb in it) the bulb on the drivers side (that was lit and working) immediately went out. I figured I must have shorted something out by mistake but didn't pay it much more attention than that. (that happened last weekend)

When I went to take the car out this morning (which was the first time I'd driven it since the bulb shorting incident) I noticed that all of my needles on my instrument cluster were not working, and that the brake like was beaming red. None of this has ever happened before and I attributed it to whatever it was I did when I replaced the curtesy lens cover.

Add to that, I have this (for the first time ever) weird rattle that came on very sudden and only lasted a few seconds. Could there be some type of connection between all of these things, I have no clue. I initially thought I hit a Squirrel or something, but then on the drive home it happened again.......twice.

I've never heard this sound before and I rarely drive this car as she's my Sunday only, nice weather, no rain car. I only took her out today because the A/C in my daily driver is out and I'm tired of cooking inside of a black car with a black leather interior.

As usual, any & all comments & replies are welcome, thanks in advance....

Old 07-25-2023, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
If you have access to a mechanic with a lift, or perhaps a tire shop.. have someone go underneath your car and tap on your secondary catalytic converters.
The following users liked this post:
Never-Again (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
1997 SL500
Originally Posted by Ahmed
If you have access to a mechanic with a lift, or perhaps a tire shop.. have someone go underneath your car and tap on your secondary catalytic converters.
I've seen other posts where people talk about how that could be where the sound is coming from so I'll definitely look into it, thanks......
The following users liked this post:
Ahmed (07-25-2023)