SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: OIL TO COOLANT HEAT EXCHANGER ISSUES!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300sl (r129)
Question OIL TO COOLANT HEAT EXCHANGER ISSUES!!!

HELP!!! I have a 92 300sl with a m104.980 that has a broken oil to coolant heat exchanger
Pls pls if anybody has any info on where to buy a new one or used one and or is willing to sell me there’s pls message me as I’m very much in need of one. Ive already tried junkyards ranging from nearest to anywhere from 3ish hours away and no luck finding a car I can part out I know the part is extremely rare to find nowadays with no aftermarket help but pls any info would gladly help idc if new or used. Mercedes even told me on the phone they cannot find it and can’t sell one pls pls pls any info would help I really really want my daily back thank you so much

If no luck In near future I was also thinking of maybe deleting my oil cooler like MMWA did on YouTube with the same engine but I’m very nervous as this car will be my daily again when driving and I drive 35 miles a day for work on freeway and the thought of daily driving with no oil cooler scares me for overheating issues any advice on that as well would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-10-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts
1997 MB SL600
Lots of cars don't have engine oil coolers.

The M104 inline 6 is not especially stressed and the later versions probably didn't have an oil cooler (if that helps) to my knowledge.

The V12 in my car does have an engine oil cooler, but it's not a coolant to oil heat exchanger design. There are 2 oil hoses that run to a regular air cooled exchanger.

This is a V12 specific oil cooler. I know the early V8 cars utilized a similar oil cooler, but I didn't know the I6 cars had an oil cooler also. The later M113 engines have a small engine oil cooler, but it's probably only for those cars.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the transmission fluid heat exchanger incorporated inside the radiator?

Can you post a photo of your existing oil cooler?