SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: New to SLs - roof has beaten me!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
New to SLs - roof has beaten me!!

Hi all

Had my SL project for 2 weeks nkmow and am making very slow progress on sorting the hydraulic roof

Its a 1995 pre facelift with 38 pin diagnostics

Ive made a flash tester

So first off the windows work very sporadically. Sometimes they work on button, then if ive tried the hood they stop..only way to get them workng again is to leave the car or to lock and unlock. Even then its sporadic. The hood controller wont put them down on the red button..they have also blown rear fuses a few times

Hood controller - with top up and locked if i push button forward the hood will pull down further. However pull the switch back and nothing happens

I noticed one front lock was leaking so ive changed this.

I then disconnected the block to the controller and tested all microswitches in all various hood positions measuring the ohms. Should be 0 when grounded..replaced the reed switch in the windowscreen rail as i thought it may be culprit - reads slightly above zero but new switch is same.

If i move the hood manually, the hood will do certain things depending on where it is in cycle.

With rear hatch up and rear bow unlocked, the.rear bow will move to up position but then everything stops. The rear hatch then faĺls down (gravity).
With rear hatch locked in, and top down amd inside rear compartment, when i push button forward to raise hood, instead of unlatching the rear hatch to allow the hood to raise, the rear hatch.locks actually pulls down into latches instead.of releasing!!
Only other thing that does work is the front locking when you close top - the locks will pull down and lock.

Very little is working

Pump runs, it is full of fluid but very little is working

I rigged a blink test. Old codes were present - low voltage, windows inoperative, speed sensor. Cleared those and they didnt come back.
Got blink 7 which was switch/lock related - this caused me to do the resistance test of all switches and replacw the front lock.
Now i have no.codes - just one blink stating no issues.....

So summary - windows working sporadically, not much happening with hood apart from front locks and rear bow rising.......

I took the controller apart - no burn marks on circuit board....

Does it.sound like a new controller needed? Mine is 129 820 2526

Anyone able to offer next steps..i feel ive checked everything....
Old 04-20-2024, 02:09 PM

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
top problems

You definitely have everything out of sync.
1st. How many latches have been taken off?
2nd . When was the last time the top worked correctly?
3rd . What has changed since the top worked correctly.
4th . When you open the doors do the windows go down 1/4” ? VERY IMPORTANT TO TELL IF THE CONTROLLER IS ALIVE.
5th. Have you ran the controller (top up/down)with the car not running and battery relatively low voltage?
Let’s start with those questions ok Bill
Old 04-20-2024, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 500 SL
Originally Posted by Sshenton1975
Hi all

Had my SL project for 2 weeks nkmow and am making very slow progress on sorting the hydraulic roof

Its a 1995 pre facelift with 38 pin diagnostics

Ive made a flash tester

So first off the windows work very sporadically. Sometimes they work on button, then if ive tried the hood they stop..only way to get them workng again is to leave the car or to lock and unlock. Even then its sporadic. The hood controller wont put them down on the red button..they have also blown rear fuses a few times

Hood controller - with top up and locked if i push button forward the hood will pull down further. However pull the switch back and nothing happens

I noticed one front lock was leaking so ive changed this.

I then disconnected the block to the controller and tested all microswitches in all various hood positions measuring the ohms. Should be 0 when grounded..replaced the reed switch in the windowscreen rail as i thought it may be culprit - reads slightly above zero but new switch is same.

If i move the hood manually, the hood will do certain things depending on where it is in cycle.

With rear hatch up and rear bow unlocked, the.rear bow will move to up position but then everything stops. The rear hatch then faĺls down (gravity).
With rear hatch locked in, and top down amd inside rear compartment, when i push button forward to raise hood, instead of unlatching the rear hatch to allow the hood to raise, the rear hatch.locks actually pulls down into latches instead.of releasing!!
Only other thing that does work is the front locking when you close top - the locks will pull down and lock.

Very little is working

Pump runs, it is full of fluid but very little is working

I rigged a blink test. Old codes were present - low voltage, windows inoperative, speed sensor. Cleared those and they didnt come back.
Got blink 7 which was switch/lock related - this caused me to do the resistance test of all switches and replacw the front lock.
Now i have no.codes - just one blink stating no issues.....

So summary - windows working sporadically, not much happening with hood apart from front locks and rear bow rising.......

I took the controller apart - no burn marks on circuit board....

Does it.sound like a new controller needed? Mine is 129 820 2526

Anyone able to offer next steps..i feel ive checked everything....

The owner of this business is very knowledgeable and helpful
The following users liked this post:
'93 300ce (04-21-2024)