SL/R129: We took the hard top off today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
We took the hard top off today

The weather in Vancouver has been cear and warm (for this time of year) for about two weeks now.

I gave the baby a quick wash and off the top came.

I don't care how much it might rain in the next month ... I had to take the hard top off dam it! It is now in the storeage room of our condo for the next 8 or 9 months .

It was fantastic driving around in 54 degree weather today with the sun shining on our faces. The feeling ... priceless .

We stopped for lunch. While waiting for our table we just stood around outside the resteraunt. Lots of people were looking at the SL parked top down near the front door.

There happened to be a light blue/silver SL55 parked just across the driveway. It was top up. Drool ... absolutly stunning.

People tended to noticed our SL first. Top down and our maltise sitting on the consol :p .

People in the know pointed at both and were talking of the evolution of the SL series.

What a great day.

We noticed when putting the soft top up today for the first time in 3 1/2 months, that the canvas had shrunk a bit. The hydraulic latches were not catching at the front.

I had to use the finger holds near the rear view mirror to pull the top down to get it to latch at the front. First time this has ever happened.

I had read about the need to re-stretch the canvas on another post. So I was able to take it all in stride.