SL/R230: Pardon me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Pardon me

I wonder if we see Lovin drive around in his Bently, we could knock on his window and say; pardon me, do you have any Gray Poupon.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
That's not what I am going to say.

I will probably give him a little tweak instead, particularly since I owned a Bentley and dumped it faster than he dumped his SL600, which is what I drive instead.

I will say- "Hey, nice VW Phaeton Coupe."

Or, "Don't you wish you had a sunroof, let alone a retractable hardtop?"
Old 03-06-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Question Why didn't you like your Bentley?

Originally Posted by shoes
I will probably give him a little tweak instead, particularly since I owned a Bentley and dumped it faster than he dumped his SL600, which is what I drive instead.

I will say- "Hey, nice VW Phaeton Coupe."

Or, "Don't you wish you had a sunroof, let alone a retractable hardtop?"
Funny, too funny. Shoes, what did you not like about your Bentley. Which one did you have?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:06 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Continental GT

Lovin, I had the Continental GT that you just ordered. I should point out that I also owned a VW Phaeton before I owned the Bentley. This might have influenced my views of the Bentley because the two cars are too close mechanically and electronically. My issues are as follows:

1. Weight- both cars are porky. You always feel like you are dragging an anchor behind you when accelerating and braking can be a little scary. Forget handling, there isn't any. Can you say "active body control".
2. Like sitting inside a Coach wallet. I think Car & Driver used these words to describe the interior of the Bentley and I think it is accurate. Very rich, nice nose, but also dark, claustrophobic. Why couldn't they have at least put a moonroof into this coupe?
3. Image- I am not a rapper or an ancient rich guy with Anna Nicole fantasies, so I just don't feel that I fit the profile.
4. Cheap for a Bentley, expensive for a VW- this is how EVO sums up the car and I agree.

My advice to you is to put that SL600 on blocks and come back to it after you get the Bentley and you will sell the Bentley and keep the SL600. Your SL is so unique, you worked so hard to make it just perfect for you and now you are going to get hammered on resale, so I hope you have the dough to just hang onto it, because you are going to miss it.

I have owned FOUR new body SL's and the first two were very frustrating ownership experiences (except that I sold them both for more than I paid). I love my SL600 (You were one of the guys who talked me into this car in the first place!) and I admit it isn't perfect, but then again, I haven't found a perfect car yet.

According to Consumer Reports, we should all be driving Korean cars now anyway, so who needs perfection?

Last edited by shoes; 03-07-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I think shoes talks alot of sense. I just don't get the Bentley. How are you going to feel if you buy one, then wish you hadn't sold your SL600? As I said elsewhere, I'd recommend a driving vacation/long weekend to bond with the SL600 once the weather is up to it in NorCal.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
The weather is up to it!

The clouds have parted, the skies are blue and temperatures are in the 70's since Saturday.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
...so now is the time to get to know the SL600 before it's too late.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
Talking

Shoe is the one that could convince loving to not decome "hatingsl600" :p
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Lovin, I had the Continental GT that you just ordered. I should point out that I also owned a VW Phaeton before I owned the Bentley. This might have influenced my views of the Bentley because the two cars are too close mechanically and electronically. My issues are as follows:

1. Weight- both cars are porky. You always feel like you are dragging an anchor behind you when accelerating and braking can be a little scary. Forget handling, there isn't any. Can you say "active body control".
2. Like sitting inside a Coach wallet. I think Car & Driver used these words to describe the interior of the Bentley and I think it is accurate. Very rich, nice nose, but also dark, claustrophobic. Why couldn't they have at least put a moonroof into this coupe?
3. Image- I am not a rapper or an ancient rich guy with Anna Nicole fantasies, so I just don't feel that I fit the profile.
4. Cheap for a Bentley, expensive for a VW- this is how EVO sums up the car and I agree.

My advice to you is to put that SL600 on blocks and come back to it after you get the Bentley and you will sell the Bentley and keep the SL600. Your SL is so unique, you worked so hard to make it just perfect for you and now you are going to get hammered on resale, so I hope you have the dough to just hang onto it, because you are going to miss it.

I have owned FOUR new body SL's and the first two were very frustrating ownership experiences (except that I sold them both for more than I paid). I love my SL600 (You were one of the guys who talked me into this car in the first place!) and I admit it isn't perfect, but then again, I haven't found a perfect car yet.

According to Consumer Reports, we should all be driving Korean cars now anyway, so who needs perfection?

I can see why the interior would bother you if you had a Phaeton but for those of us that haven't, the Cont.GT's interior is beautiful. Especially if you spec it in the colors of your choice. Compared to a run of the mill CL, I think the bentley is a nice change. I can't wait for the convertible although I am not to keen on the soft top.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I spec'ed my interior

I spec'ed out my interior on the Bentley GT, but I must admit it wasn't what I had hoped for. The detailing on the leather was very nice, but where was the cooling feature for the seats? Where was the automatic trunk closer? Where was the parktronic? Where did those extra 1,000 pounds come from?

If Lovin is determined to do something crazy, he should get that Gilles Green DB9 that Cole European has on the showfloor, guaranteed to lose half its value as soon as the new Vantage V8 and the derivative new Jaguar XK8 come out. At least that car has a proper exhaust note (but still no cooled seats, keyless go, sunroof, etc.).
Old 03-08-2005, 05:35 PM

I spec'ed out my interior on the Bentley GT, but I must admit it wasn't what I had hoped for. The detailing on the leather was very nice, but where was the cooling feature for the seats? Where was the automatic trunk closer? Where was the parktronic? Where did those extra 1,000 pounds come from?

If Lovin is determined to do something crazy, he should get that Gilles Green DB9 that Cole European has on the showfloor, guaranteed to lose half its value as soon as the new Vantage V8 and the derivative new Jaguar XK8 come out. At least that car has a proper exhaust note (but still no cooled seats, keyless go, sunroof, etc.).
Agree.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Reading your post makes me realize that the sedan I really want isn’t the Bentley Flying Spur I have on order. The ideal for me would be a smaller, less expensive Maybach, built from the next-generation S-class. That would give me the broad range of interior color and customization choices I crave (and which the Bentley delivers) and parktronic, distronic, etc. besides. They could price it $50k over the S600, where it would be positioned against the Bentley and very profitable for them, and I would gladly pay it, particularly if (as a Maybach) the car came with a customer service level superior to the incompetence and rude runaround I get at my local Mercedes dealer. Nevertheless, absent this product, I’ll stick with my Bentley order.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Let us know when you receive it and if the car it's what you expect.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking Ben Affleck and his Continental GT

I was reading the March 14 edition of In Touch and there was an article about Ben Affleck and his Continental GT.

It seems Ben had a little problem as the car went dead in the middle of the road. They show a picture of the car on a flat bed being towed away.

Poor guy. Wouldn't of had that problem if he bought a SL600.

Oops, didn't Oprah's SL600 go dead also?

Man, what do they want for $150,000 plus?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I was reading the March 14 edition of In Touch and there was an article about Ben Affleck and his Continental GT.

It seems Ben had a little problem as the car went dead in the middle of the road. They show a picture of the car on a flat bed being towed away.

Poor guy. Wouldn't of had that problem if he bought a SL600.

Oops, didn't Oprah's SL600 go dead also?

Man, what do they want for $150,000 plus?
Good to see the way you change your actitud about the car.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlosfernandez
Good to see the way you change your actitud about the car.
Thanks Dad!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Wink

Your welcome son.lol