SL/R230: Storage Box Behind Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Storage Box Behind Passenger Seat

In the storage box behind the passenger seat, when you open the box on the floor of the box there are to locking clips, does anyone know what they are for???
Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Gallardo 6-speed, 2005 SL55, BMW X3
My guess is that there is something mounted to the bottom of the storage box from the back side. If you squeeze the the clips they seem to release. I would be afraid what ever is underneath the box might drop down.

Ask your dealer.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by doltmo
My guess is that there is something mounted to the bottom of the storage box from the back side. If you squeeze the the clips they seem to release. I would be afraid what ever is underneath the box might drop down.

Ask your dealer.
When you put in the luggage compartment in the back behind the seats they are held in place by the two seat belt clips behind each seat which when pulled out attach to the release below the storage compartments.

When you push that button on that it releases the strap that you put in from the upper rear back panel.

It does not perform any other functions so feel to push the release anytime you wish.
Attached Thumbnails Storage Box Behind Passenger Seat-clip.jpg   Storage Box Behind Passenger Seat-rear-panel.jpg  

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 03-29-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Lovin I meant inside the storage box.

If you look in the storage box there are two clicks on the floor in the box.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
OK, be careful! Those two spring clips release a panel on the floor of the box to gain access to some electrical parts underneath - some fuses and relays. Gently ease the clips back and the panel will lift.

When I removed it to gain access while wiring in the illuminated door sills, one of the clips broke and I had to buy the complete plastic bin - the false floor is not available separately. There's a convenient free fuse position in there to gain access to unswitched power. The door sills use small electronic transformers permanently connected to the battery which are switched on and off using the same switch which activated the interior lights when the doors are opened.

Getting that bin out is a long process which starts with removing the plastic rail across the bottom of the door aperture, the form/cloth strip, the aluminium trim at the top, the side trim panel (with a bunch of clips to break which Lovin' will know all about) and then finally you can remove/replace the bin.

Last edited by blueSL; 03-29-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by blueSL
OK, be careful! Those two spring clips release a panel on the floor of the box to gain access to some electrical parts underneath - some fuses and relays. Gently ease the clips back and the panel will lift.

When I removed it to gain access while wiring in the illuminated door sills, one of the clips broke and I had to buy the complete plastic bin - the false floor is not available separately. There's a convenient free fuse position in there to gain access to unswitched power. The door sills use small electronic transformers permanently connected to the battery which are switched on and off using the same switch which activated the interior lights when the doors are opened.

Getting that bin out is a long process which starts with removing the plastic rail across the bottom of the door aperture, the form/cloth strip, the aluminium trim at the top, the side trim panel (with a bunch of clips to break which Lovin' will know all about) and then finally you can remove/replace the bin.
Blue, why did you replace the entire bin? Even though you had to order the whole bin, why did you just not use the new door?

Stephen, Blue is right. Very gently pull back on the little clips and pull up and the door will release. Just be very gentle when pulling the clips back.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Good thinking - I had the bin out anyway because I was fitting the door sills - you are right, if you do break it, you can just replace the door. I was getting confused with the memory of all those parts to put back!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 AM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Now you guys have me all nervous about my illuminated door sills....but they're so cool. Can my dealer handle it though? I'd hate to have them break something even before I get the car....!
Steve
Old 03-30-2005, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Illuminated door sills is easy - PJMusgrave did them in a few hours, I did mine in a bit less than a day, but then I was taking my time to, as you might expect, nose around a little at what's underneath. The actual sills are easy to replace, it's wiring them back to the power and the door switch which takes the time. They do look good when you open the door at night though...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:46 AM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
RadSteve,

I'd love to see some pics of your color combo. Can you post or PM me some pics? After re-reading your post sounds like you haven't taken delivery? What's your delivery timeframe? Thanks! And if you haven't received it yet... look forward to it.
Cheers,
Old 03-31-2005, 12:46 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by VinceB
RadSteve,

I'd love to see some pics of your color combo. Can you post or PM me some pics? After re-reading your post sounds like you haven't taken delivery? What's your delivery timeframe? Thanks! And if you haven't received it yet... look forward to it.
Cheers,
Will post pics ASAP after arrival. Supposed to be late May or early June....but realize I ordered the car December 3 of last year....it's been a loooong wait. Suppose it's too much to hope that the recalls now won't affect me too...
Steve
Old 03-31-2005, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
It's nothing! I put my order for the SL55 more than 5 years before I got it...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55, Hellcat, 550 Maranello
Handle behind seats

Hi, I am a newbie, thanks for all the contributions.
I bought a 2008 SL55 yesterday, and I would like to know what this handle is for, I can't seem to find any info in the manual, and I apologize for the hi jack

david in NJ

The following users liked this post:
foxifox (03-08-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
It’s not a handle, it’s a recess for the rear parking sensor display. The display is recessed so that it is still more or less visible in bright sunshine with the roof down and conveniently located so you can see it in the rear view mirror.

Interesting the thread is 16 years old. I still have my SL55 but it’s been a bumpy ride... enjoy yours.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55, Hellcat, 550 Maranello
Originally Posted by blueSL
It’s not a handle, it’s a recess for the rear parking sensor display. The display is recessed so that it is still more or less visible in bright sunshine with the roof down and conveniently located so you can see it in the rear view mirror.

Interesting the thread is 16 years old. I still have my SL55 but it’s been a bumpy ride... enjoy yours.
wow!
thank you for the speedy response, didn't even look at the date, that is funny.

Thank you for the explanation, and to be honest, I expect it to be a combo of highs and lows, I did enjoy my 8 hour ride home after purchase (I did spend $2500 for initial maintenance repairs, before the drive, so I got a taste of what to expect)
And I love that you still have yours, makes me optimistic!