SL/R230: Out with the 2005 SL600, in with the 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 and A-CLASS
Hey all,

Lets not get into our personal life and finances and trying to disapprove someone.

Lets enjoy the forum.

By the way, I only have two cars and I got rid of my Yukon Denail, because I was killing it by not driving it. If you do not put more than 10 miles a week on your car on a single trip, your car will die of a slow death.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-10-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:57 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Some advice

Not sure how many cars you have owned LovinSL600, but having read back through your trials and travails on the SL600, you seem like a demanding guy, which is your right of course. It does seem as though, at times, you have been very passionate about your SL600. If details bother you as much as they seem to, it seems unlikely that any interesting car is likely to hold onto this passion consistently. Therefore, my advice is to own as many cars as you have space for and drive each according to mood. Another idea would be to hire a person to deal with the details of your vehicles so that you don't have to be frustrated by them.

Having owned 106 cars myself, I can honestly say that the SL600 is my favorite, but I enjoy driving my diesel almost as much in the right circumstances.

Hard to argue with your choice of wines as Bordeaux's are my favorite as well.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
As for the wines, I understand. I have 2000 plus bottles in my celler and a collection that could pay for several SL600's.

Personally, my all time favorites are the French Bordeaux's from the 80's
Congrats on the Aston!!! I know what you mean about the sound as there are 2 in my neighborhood.

I would visit the serive dept and chat with a few Aston owners just to make sure the service is as good as the sales and marketing experience.

Speaking of French Bordeaux's, what do you think of a 67 Chateau Gran Latour? we were given one as a gift years back, its been properly stored so is it still good?

Rgds,
Old 04-10-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I wish I can drink wines, but I have that Asian trait of can not drink alcohol. Alcohol just tears my insides up.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:14 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Thank you for your support. You obviously have read all the posts and perfectly understand why I am doing this.

If I really wanted to be obnoxious, I'd give him my last name and then he could read all about me over the internet but I chose not to be that kind of person.
Lovin, once again, I'm not trying to beat you down but why is this not just a nice extra car. I am also priviledged to have alot of extra resourses, and my SL is just my fun car. If you look at it as the same as a yacht, then it's not that big of a deal. I deal with an ASTON dealer all the time, and regardless of how the dealer treats you, you will still be at the mercy of the manufacturer. From what I have heard, you are going to be very dissapointed with the manufacturer. The dealers, however, will stroke you to completion.

Your last comment was obnoxious and really low class.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I wish I can drink wines, but I have that Asian trait of can not drink alcohol. Alcohol just tears my insides up.
I used to date a gorgeous Korean girl years back, she would get mild swelling in her fingers after drinking, so she too stopped, man I miss her, she was hot and she could never do enough to please me. I used to really enjoy a nice bottle of wine on a Friday or Saturday night date but I decided to get really healthy years ago so I only drink on special occassions and very little at that.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by RJC
Congrats on the Aston!!! I know what you mean about the sound as there are 2 in my neighborhood.

I would visit the serive dept and chat with a few Aston owners just to make sure the service is as good as the sales and marketing experience.

Speaking of French Bordeaux's, what do you think of a 67 Chateau Gran Latour? we were given one as a gift years back, its been properly stored so is it still good?

Rgds,
If the wine is good, you are in for a treat.

I just opened a case of 1978 Beringer Private Reserve and the whole case was bad. Not a happy camper.

I am looking forward to the Aston experience.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the wine is good, you are in for a treat.
Do you think it still could be? We have it in an air conditioned dark closet that's kept at about 68-70 and in a wine rack.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 04-10-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just opened a case of 1978 Beringer Private Reserve and the whole case was bad. Not a happy camper.
Mercedes used to own Beringer in 1978...just kidding :p
Old 04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PA500SL
Lovin, once again, I'm not trying to beat you down but why is this not just a nice extra car. I am also priviledged to have alot of extra resourses, and my SL is just my fun car. If you look at it as the same as a yacht, then it's not that big of a deal. I deal with an ASTON dealer all the time, and regardless of how the dealer treats you, you will still be at the mercy of the manufacturer. From what I have heard, you are going to be very dissapointed with the manufacturer. The dealers, however, will stroke you to completion.

Funny, I was taking a shower and thinkig about what I had written. I agree that my last comment was not appropriate so when I got out of the shower I went to my computer to delete it. I did not see your post but I am sorry because I do agree it was not appropriate.

The problem that you don't understand is that while a yacht is suppose to have all sorts of problems, a car is not. When you go to the yacht manufacturer they are set up to do anything you ask them because they know the fire drill.

Mercedes, in my opinion won't do anything and their cars are suppose to come off the line without defects. That is the standard.

As for the Aston Martin manufacturer, if you are correct I will be back to ground zero but from what I have heard from others, this is not the case. I understand that Astons do have issues at times like all cars. I have heard and know of one person that has a Vanquish from this dealer and he tells me they will do anything to rectify any problem. They try and that is all I ever asked Mercedes to do. It is all in the attitude. The dealer is great. The manufacturer, in my opinion does not care.

I just don't understand why you can't see this?

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-10-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:31 PM

I hope if you move onto ASTON you won't come back and DISS the SL.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Mercedes used to own Beringer in 1978...just kidding :p
You continue to crack me up. I am going to have to make a special trip to Florida.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Why would you accept a problem on a yacht, and not on a high tech car. It is much harder to make high tech stuff to work on a car than a yacht! You have been incredibly MANIC when it comes to this car, and yet you are willing to accept problems on a yacht!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow You are blind and starting to convince me you are...

From what I have heard, you are going to be very dissapointed with the manufacturer. The dealers, however, will stroke you to completion.
PA500SL,

Go onto the Aston Martin website. They have the names, e-mail and phone numbers of all the main players. They encourage you to call them.

When I was researching the DB9 I got up at 1:00 AM many a time and called these people and asked them questions about the DB9. They spent as much time as was necessary with me and if they didn't have an answer, they actually called me back with the answer. This is the factory. The manufacturer...got it?

You could NEVER get a phone number or anyting or anyone in Mercedes in Germany. Neither could 99.9% of the dealers in the US.

Try getting through to anyone but a robot in Montvale.

My friend, you are a blind man and if you keep going, your ignorance will start to show.

I am done with this debate. My thirteen year old has a better sense of understanding than you.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by shoes
I have given up on Lovin's mood swings on his SL600. Hopefully, this does not extend to women, since that can be a much more expensive mistake.

Just remember that your imagination and anticipation are always better than everyday ownership. If it is automobile perfection you are seeking, well, this is a journey not a destination. Best wishes with Aston and hang onto the SL as the daily driver.

P.S. there are a lot of Napa wines superior to Silver Oak, so you have another enjoyable journey ahead of you.
MAy I suggest for a start: Camus Special Select Cabernet Souvignon...2001 is out and will be even better with a bit of cellaring. Price point similar to Silver Oak Napa Valley (Not Alexander). Give it a swish n swallow.

Steve
Old 04-10-2005, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Do you think it still could be? We have it in an air conditioned dark closet that's kept at about 68-70 and in a wine rack.

Thanks
Actually, for that wine it should be stored below 68 to be perfectly honest. My guess however would be if it were ruined, it was ruined before you got it.

I say open that puppy up and give it a taste.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:05 PM

PA500SL,

Go onto the Aston Martin website. They have the names, e-mail and phone numbers of all the main players. They encourage you to call them.

When I was researching the DB9 I got up at 1:00 AM many a time and called these people and asked them questions about the DB9. They spent as much time as was necessary with me and if they didn't have an answer, they actually called me back with the answer. This is the factory. The manufacturer...got it?

You could NEVER get a phone number or anyting or anyone in Mercedes in Germany. Neither could 99.9% of the dealers in the US.

Try getting through to anyone but a robot in Montvale.

My friend, you are a blind man and if you keep going, your ignorance will start to show.

I am done with this debate. My thirteen year old has a better sense of understanding than you.

My friend, you don't own the car yet... I hope it works out for you...

If you do change, please don't come here and continue negative thoughts.

Last edited by PA500SL; 04-10-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RadSteve
MAy I suggest for a start: Camus Special Select Cabernet Souvignon...2001 is out and will be even better with a bit of cellaring. Price point similar to Silver Oak Napa Valley (Not Alexander). Give it a swish n swallow.

Steve
I agree, great wine out of the bottle.

Do you like the Napa or Alexander better? In Silver Oak I like the Alexander better.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 PM

The SL600 and the whole Mercedes brand is out.

I was thinking about the BMW 750 that is coming out but I am not sure. It seemed kinda boring although they have done a great job with the car.

I looked at the LS430 and while #1 on reliability, it didn't excite me.

Anyone have any suggestions on something bigger and sporty as my daily driver when I am not driving the Aston? You know, something that the rain drops are allowed to hit.
I've already ordered an new 750Li to replace my 2002 745Li. I really like the car as a sedan (I need one to tote grandmothers and friends around in, etc, plus for long trips to the airport to hold luggage). It is a reasonably fun car, comfortable, confident and easy to drive. Gas mileage is excellent for a car this size (26 hwy). I'm so looking forward to hearing about your Vanquish as it progresses! What FUN!

Steve
Old 04-10-2005, 05:08 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone that's owned any type of boat knows you're asking for problems, the old saying goes on to say something like, that the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you bought it and sold it.

MB has a lot to learn about customer satisfaction, the JD Power and European customer satisifaction #'s say it all and have done so unforunately for years now.

If I treated my clients the way MB has treated me in the past, I'd be in big financial trouble and driving a Yugo. I always go the extra mile for my clients and treat them just like I'd like to be treated. Remember the Golden Rule..."always treat others the way you wish to be treated". What ever happened to that being taught in school???

Lovin just wants the commmensurate level of respect one should receive after spending $140,000.00+ on one of the most expensive non specialty cars MB produces from the manufacturer itself, as he has not received what he thought was an appropriate response(s) and or actions from them. Remember one thing, some people are satisified with far less service and or respect than the norm and others demand much more; it's Lovins hard earned money, so when all is said and done, it's his call.

Last edited by RJC; 04-10-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrow I agree, great car...

Originally Posted by RadSteve
I've already ordered an new 750Li to replace my 2002 745Li. I really like the car as a sedan (I need one to tote grandmothers and friends around in, etc, plus for long trips to the airport to hold luggage). It is a reasonably fun car, comfortable, confident and easy to drive. Gas mileage is excellent for a car this size (26 hwy). I'm so looking forward to hearing about your Vanquish as it progresses! What FUN!

Steve
I was thinking about the 750 Li. It is amazing how much they have done to that car. Looks like a great car.

Did you order the sports package or the luxury package? I like the luxury package ride but I like the sports package seats. Hmmmm?

Also, what about price? MSRP or better? I just don't know?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
Everyone that's owned any type of boat knows you're asking for problems, the old saying goes on to say something like, that the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you bought it and sold it.

MB has a lot to learn about customer satisfaction, the JD Power and European customer satisifaction #'s say it all and have done so unforunately for years now.

If I treated my clients the way MB has treated me in the past, I'd be in big financial trouble and driving a Yugo. I always go the extra mile for my clients and treat them just like I'd like to be treated. Remember the Golden Rule..."always treat others the way you wish to be treated". What ever happened to that being taught in school???

Lovin just wants the commmensurate level of respect one should receive after spending $140,000.00+ on one of the most expensive non specialty cars MB produces from the manufaturer itself, as he has not received what he thought was an appropriate response(s) and or actions from them. Remember one thing, some people are satisified with far less service and or respect than the norm and others demand much more; it's Lovins hard earned money, so when all is said and done, it's his call.
Now this guy is a smart man. Maybe a smart man with a messed up bottle of one of the world's finest wines but nevertheless, smart.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600

Anyone have any suggestions on something bigger and sporty as my daily driver when I am not driving the Aston? You know, something that the rain drops are allowed to hit.
Have you tried Audi A8/S8 or the A6 4.2 Quattro?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 PM

I agree, great wine out of the bottle.

Do you like the Napa or Alexander better? In Silver Oak I like the Alexander better.
Sometimes the less expensive choice is actually better, and the Alexander is one of those happy finds for me too.

Steve
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WIldcat465
Have you tried Audi A8/S8 or the A6 4.2 Quattro?
You know, that keeps coming up. I am going to have to.

Thanks Wildcat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Out with the 2005 SL600, in with the 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S