SL/R230: Out with the 2005 SL600, in with the 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by RJC
Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that you want this car just as much as her, or maybe, just maybe, even a little bit more...
Nah...to busy thinking about my Vanquish S.

I can tell what does **** me off. Her car is coming sometime in June. Mine is being built in August.

DARN!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Gosh this thread is something!

Interested to see your comments Lovin' on the Aston driving experience, my own view is that the SL is a fine car but lacks soul. I also agree with your comparison of the DB9 and Vanquish. The Vanquish will always be a much rarer, more extreme animal.

Your assesment of Mercedes is exactly right. There's a rot set in which doesn't put the customer first and it's a reflection of a much weaker customer service ethic than you get in the US. In Germany, the customer is definitely not always king, an attitude born of history and a cradle to grave cushion.

Aston Martin are hungry for success and are trying very hard. I just hope they measure up to your reasonable expectations!

As for what you might do for your daily driver, I've no idea, don't do sedans but there is merit in having a car that you just don't worry about where you leave it, if it gets a ding and so on. A great de-stresser...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on the Vanquish. According to the AM website http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars/v.../specification[URL] the Vanquish accelerates slightly slower than the SL600 to 100km/hr. Does anyone have a side by side comparison of numbers handy?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
LovinSL600,

Give your wife the SL600 and you get the new 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zzoorrkk
Congratulations on the Vanquish. According to the AM website http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars/v.../specification[URL] the Vanquish accelerates slightly slower than the SL600 to 100km/hr. Does anyone have a side by side comparison of numbers handy?
The numbers that Aston uses are never accurate, no matter what they are. What are particulary off are the dimensions which they almost never publish.

They show the inside headroom of the Vanquish as being larger than the DB9. I can't fit in the DB9 without hitting my head. In the Vanquish I have as much room as the SL which from a numbers point of view shows 1.5 inches more room.

I asked the saleman about the acceleration numbers and he says there have been articles written that have the 0-60 at under 4.5 seconds for the new Vanquish S which has the larger engine. I have yet to find these articles, but having driven both cars I think he is right.

Alot to the Aston's speed comes from properly shifting, something that I have not yet been able to come close to conquering.

I have really pushed the SL600. When he took me for a test drive in the Vanquish S and I told him I thought the SL600 may be faster he shut my mouth very quickly. Actually, he scared the **** out of me.

When I took the Vanquish out the next day I drove it hard. I can't say I got it up to the where he had been able to accelerate the day before but I felt that the power was there.

If I had to guess, I'd say from my very, very short time in the car that it is faster than the SL600.

I too would love to see a side by side comparison as I am just learning.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-13-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Side by Side Comparison

Put your SL600 to the test against the Aston, let the salesman drive the Aston and you your SL600, put the hammer down and see the true results, this way you won't have to doubt what you read, you will see it with your own two eyes.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
LovinSL600,

Give your wife the SL600 and you get the new 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S.
Funny you should say that. I offered that to her and she wanted no part of it. Took her about a second to answer. She has a 2004 Toyota Celica GT-S which has only been in the shop once since we bought the car for a normal service.

She wanted no part of the Mercedes reliability although she agrees the car is gorgeous.

We got her a new car too and she wanted the BMW M3.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-13-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StephenK
Put your SL600 to the test against the Aston, let the salesman drive the Aston and you your SL600, put the hammer down and see the true results, this way you won't have to doubt what you read, you will see it with your own two eyes.
Hmmmm, that's a question worth asking.

Do you think I could get the SL600 off the line at maximun acceleration and keep it from fish tailing against his expert driving experience in the Vanquish S?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
It's a Great Opportunity

I think it is a great opportunity to see how it really compares to the SL600's power. I have driven mine very hard, and other than a mild swerve to the back end the car appears to adjust automatically to keep control.

Hammer down, and hopefully the SL600 won't beat the Aston and leave you a little disappointed.

If it is close, let off the accelerator at the end and let him win.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
LovinSL600,

I see your wife's point of view. It is embracing for my wife when folks asked about her SL and she tells them that it is in the shop every time they ask.

Everything on her Honda LX started to break at 75K. She does not want to drive the SL anymore, because she is afraid of it breaking. It has been in the shop over 10 times in the first year. She has her eyes on Lexus, because it has a place for her purse. She is aware that both Mercedes drives better than any car she owned, but she wants reliability.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I found this review. The SL600 is 4.5 seconds. This review is of the 2005 Vanquish S. It is a little confusing as it says the 450 hp Vanquish does 0-60 in "under 4.5 seconds." The 2004 Vanquish had 450 hp but the 2005 Vanquish S is 520hp so if this is true, then it should be under 4.5 seconds. The review is a little confusing. Please look below and tell me what you think it says.

"Every body panel is sleek, and is constructed from aluminium with each individual panel hand-tailored to the central structure to ensure a perfect fit. The main structure itself is formed from extruded aluminium sections which are bonded and riveted around a central transmission tunnel made of carbon fibre. One-piece composite sidewalls and carbon-fibre windscreen pillars are also bonded to the central structure to form the safety cell. It all sounds more like Williams Formula One than clubby old Aston Martin and is an indicator of the investment parent company Ford has sunk into the once-quaint British firm. Despite the attention paid to the chassis, it's only fitting that the engine should receive some fettling too. Developments to the old DB7 Vantage's 48-valve 6.0-litre V12 engine have generated a 7% increase in power and a 2.5% increase in torque. Whilst it's rare to encounter anybody who felt the V12 Vantage was somewhat underendowed in the power department, the 450bhp boasted by the Vanquish is a more suitable output in the current supercar climate. More suitable still is the 520bhp boasted by the £174,000 Vanquish S model that sits at the top of the Aston Martin hierarchy. Even 450bhp will propel the 1820kg Aston from rest to 60 in under 4.5 seconds before reaching a maximum speed in excess of 190mph ' a velocity theoretically capable of covering London to Glasgow in 100 minutes. Do not try this, however. You will probably find Her Majesty's Pleasure far less accommodating than the ****pit of the Vanquish. If these figures sound familiar, it's because the Ferrari 550 Maranello was the vehicle Aston Martin's engineers used as a key benchmark throughout the development of the Vanquish. Indeed the 550 was completely stripped to its component parts in order to understand what made it such a relentlessly excellent product. Ulrich Bez is confident that the lessons learned will be immediately apparent in the Vanquish. "This is the most dynamic, technically advanced and sophisticated new model ever introduced by Aston Martin", the good doctor intoned. "It provides exhilirating performance with impeccable handling and is a true driver's car. We believe the V12 Vanquish will have the ability to continually exceed the expectations of its owner." The interior of the car is where Ford's deep pockets are most apparent. Owner's expectations will be continually exceeded every time they drop into the superbly crafted Connolly leather driving seat, with aluminium and alcantara trim comprising the main textures in the impeccably designed interior. Aside from a slightly underwhelming looking steering wheel, there's really not much to fault the Vanquish's cabin, and it's possible to specify the car as a 2+2 or a two seater with additional boot space. If anyone can come up with a more enjoyable way to cross continents without recourse to a private jet, a hot tub and the Miss Venezuela finalists, I've yet to hear it. With a six-speed paddle-shift manual transmission, the Vanquish can play GT racer with the best of them, and the system can simulate a full automatic when you'd rather relax and cruise. Satellite navigation is one of the options available, wired into an electronic command centre that speaks eleven languages fluently. The Vanquish approaches perfection in so many key areas that only a full performance review back to back with a Ferrari 575 could possibly show up any subjective shortcomings. As an ownership proposition, it probably exceeds the thoroughbred Italian insofar as it's enjoys the benefit of chassis and electronics technology four years newer than that which underpins the Ferrari. The only ***** in the armour of the Vanquish is the lack of a full-on fire-breathing Vantage variant. Rumour had it that a 600bhp monster Vanquish could be in the pipeline. When asked, Dr Bez's kept tight lipped but his mouth betrayed an almost imperceptible grin. It's hard to see how Aston Martin could resist, especially when the foundations are as excellent as the Vanquish V12."

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM

Lovin, from an emotional point of view, I would choose the Vanquish over the SL600. Definitely more exclusive. Does the Vanquish come with a stick shift option? For me, I love my 6 speed manual. No F1 tranny for me.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lovin, from an emotional point of view, I would choose the Vanquish over the SL600. Definitely more exclusive. Does the Vanquish come with a stick shift option? For me, I love my 6 speed manual. No F1 tranny for me.
No it does not. Only the paddle shifters. I have heard, but with no certaintly, that all of this is being discussed for the 2008 or thereabouts model redo.

I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with two options in 2008, a stick shift or the automatic with the paddle shifters like the DB9.

I warn you, I have no real basis for stating any of this other than a few conversations with some folks that they themselves said they really don't know.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:00 PM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Lovin, why haven't you considered the SLR. These are hand built buy McLaren and may be one of the few cars that actually appreciate. Another would be the Porsche Carrera GT. You could possibly drive one of these for a year for free.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by PA500SL
Lovin, why haven't you considered the SLR. These are hand built buy McLaren and may be one of the few cars that actually appreciate. Another would be the Porsche Carrera GT. You could possibly drive one of these for a year for free.
I don't know about the GT but the SLR is not appreciating right now. Prices have been seen below $500K. Well off the 700K-1M they were getting last year.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 PM

Don't even think for a moment that these "supercars" will appreciate in value. It is all about supply and demand. Limited production supercars like the Enzo may command and maintain a higher price for a few years because there is no more supply (399 only I believe). My thinking is that once you drive a SLR, GT or Vanquish off the lot, you take a 10-20% hit right away. Besides, people like LOVIN does not really care about spending that amount of money for a car - they just want exclusivity. They worked hard for their money, so they should enjoy the fruits of their labor.

To LOVIN, personnally speaking, I think you should give your wife the SL600 and you get yourself a supercar.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PA500SL
Last I heard McLaren was associated with Mercedes Benz. That rules that out.

I actually did think about the Porsche Garrera GT and went to look at one. What a gorgeous car but this is for sure not a daily driver. It is much more high performance and much less comfortable.

The Aston Vanquish S gives me great performance as well as comfort and the ability to drive it more.

If I was looking for a pure performance car, putting MB aside, after looking at the SLR and then the GT, I'd go with the GT on looks alone.

As far as performance, this is out of my league.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't even think for a moment that these "supercars" will appreciate in value. It is all about supply and demand. Limited production supercars like the Enzo may command and maintain a higher price for a few years because there is no more supply (399 only I believe). My thinking is that once you drive a SLR, GT or Vanquish off the lot, you take a 10-20% hit right away. Besides, people like LOVIN does not really care about spending that amount of money for a car - they just want exclusivity. They worked hard for their money, so they should enjoy the fruits of their labor.

To LOVIN, personnally speaking, I think you should give your wife the SL600 and you get yourself a supercar.
Offered the wifey the SL600. She wanted no part of it.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation Finally heard from Montvale...

My attorney got a call yesterday from Montvale but has not spoken to them as he is in Hawaii. I won't speak with them anymore.

I got a call from the dealer as well and they told me that Mercedes has finally committed to have the door panel shipped directly from the manufacturer to the dealer and bypass the Mercedes Benz system.

A little late unfortunately.

Think of how pathetic that is. I will ship the part directly to you because I realize the problem is with my systems and I can't do anything about it.

Good luck Mercedes Benz. I won't be around to experience this anymore.

Hey, at least after six door panels and hiring an attorney who threatened to sue them, they finally answered with an acceptable solution.

So, for all you out there, we now know what it takes.

WAIT, the panel actually hasn't arrived just yet so we are not sure if this is it.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-14-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
One more thing if you having problems trying to sell the SL600, you could just PM lexani, he already has two, a third couldnt hurt.
No, no it wouldn't. I was looking at a new car though. Pherhaps... well, is that SL600 still for sale? :p
Old 05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up It is your's if you want it...

Originally Posted by Lexani
No, no it wouldn't. I was looking at a new car though. Pherhaps... well, is that SL600 still for sale? :p
Yup, this gorgeous baby is for sale!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...546596798&rd=1
Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Lovin, which dealer did you purchase your SL from? I test drove the SL600 last Friday with friend at Autobahn Motors, and we're going back there at lunch today to take it out for another spin. He's the one thinking of purchasing the SL600. I'm thinking of getting the E55.

Can the SL600 be had at invoice these days? Autobahn has 1 on the lot, and Beshoff down in San Jose has two. All in silver.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is where you have to go...

Originally Posted by kyee
Lovin, which dealer did you purchase your SL from? I test drove the SL600 last Friday with friend at Autobahn Motors, and we're going back there at lunch today to take it out for another spin. He's the one thinking of purchasing the SL600. I'm thinking of getting the E55.

Can the SL600 be had at invoice these days? Autobahn has 1 on the lot, and Beshoff down in San Jose has two. All in silver.
I purchased mine at Mercedes Benz of Pleasanton.

If your friend wants an SL600 the best looking one and the best deal in town is mine.