SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: How many of you raise your SL's height?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500, 2005 SL600
How many of you raise your SL's height?

Just curious who uses the hyrdaulic button to elevate their car a 1/2 or 1 inch while driving, and why? Reason i ask is that as i was driving the SL more this weekend, i noticed the parktronic beeping as i would go in and out of a drive way or through dips in the road (bringing the front end closer to the road). At one point, it sounded like it may have scraped the underside of the front end, so i decided to elevate it with the hyrdaulic button by the gear shifter by 1/2 inch. I didn't notice any signifcant change in driving, other than having a little more clearance.

My questions are: is that the point of the button, is it recommended, and how does it change your handling, and do any of you just leave it elevated at all times. And what are the downsides to elevating it.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by vkapoormd
Just curious who uses the hyrdaulic button to elevate their car a 1/2 or 1 inch while driving, and why? Reason i ask is that as i was driving the SL more this weekend, i noticed the parktronic beeping as i would go in and out of a drive way or through dips in the road (bringing the front end closer to the road). At one point, it sounded like it may have scraped the underside of the front end, so i decided to elevate it with the hyrdaulic button by the gear shifter by 1/2 inch. I didn't notice any signifcant change in driving, other than having a little more clearance.

My questions are: is that the point of the button, is it recommended, and how does it change your handling, and do any of you just leave it elevated at all times. And what are the downsides to elevating it.

Thanks.
You should always use the height button in my opinion. I find it is the difference between hitting curbs and not hitting curbs.

It makes absolutely no difference in the driving experience because once the car reaches a certain speed the car is automatically lowered to the point where you would be without the increased height.

This is done for driving and safety reasons so when you get going there is no difference.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 AM

SLK 230
There is a height button??

Excuse my ingnorance - but there is really a button which allows you to raise the car whilst it is driving? Wow is there a button that makes it park for you as well?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NeilC123
Excuse my ingnorance - but there is really a button which allows you to raise the car whilst it is driving? Wow is there a button that makes it park for you as well?
Not while you are driving. Just at the very lower speeds. It is actually becoming pretty common. The new Bentley's have it now as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:56 AM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
You should always use the height button in my opinion. I find it is the difference between hitting curbs and not hitting curbs.

It makes absolutely no difference in the driving experience because once the car reaches a certain speed the car is automatically lowered to the point where you would be without the increased height.

This is done for driving and safety reasons so when you get going there is no difference.
Lovin, how much do you raise yours at all times, 1/2 inch or 1 inch? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lovin, how much do you raise yours at all times, 1/2 inch or 1 inch? Thanks.
Since it makes no difference when you are driving, I always raise it to the maximun.

For some reason I do find that some curbs you do it at the 1/2 mark while I have never had that problem at the 1 inch mark.

I would recommend raising it to the 1 inch at all time. It keeps the bottom of that front bumper nice and smooth.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Curbs

Although I can understand about not wanting to scrape the bottom of the front on curbs, I personally have found that the length of the car fits in parking spaces comfortably enough that being so close to the curb in the front is not necessary. Parking spots may be bigger here, I am not sure. I know with my S-Class, every single inch counts and I do use the feature with the suspension frequently with that car.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Just curious who uses the hyrdaulic button to elevate their car a 1/2 or 1 inch while driving, and why? Reason i ask is that as i was driving the SL more this weekend, i noticed the parktronic beeping as i would go in and out of a drive way or through dips in the road (bringing the front end closer to the road).

Thanks.
Sounds like you have a problem with your parktronic. My CL was doing the same, it took the dealer 4 visits to fix.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I raise it 1" for city driving, because the driveways into shopping malls, and restaurants dip real badly. I even have to drive slowly off the main road into the business, malls, restaurants, and parking lots to avoid the front bumper from scrapping. Mercedes Customer Care informed me that the car will lower to the program driving height at 50 MPHs.

I do not have parktroincs, but I find the SL real easy to park. I park my car about 4 feet in front of the curb in parking lots. When the curb disappears from my view, I am perfectly park.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
I personally think the car looks ghey raised up like that. If I wanted a 4x4, I would have bought one. If you have trouble parking an SL-Class, take some driving lessons.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
I personally think the car looks ghey raised up like that. If I wanted a 4x4, I would have bought one. If you have trouble parking an SL-Class, take some driving lessons.
Well thank you; i never said i had problems parking the car, just that it may have scraped while going over a dip and set off the parktronic. And i just had questions about the utility of raising the height, which doesn't make the car look like a 4 x 4, IMO. By the way, ghey is spelled gay, perhaps you should take some spelling lessons.....
Old 04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Definitely a good idea to raise the car when neogiating entrances to gas stations or parking lots. The car does lower itself when over a certain speed, no matter what you have selected and at higher speeds, it lowers itself some more to reduce lift. Just as well, the feeling of the steering going light in my F355 causes a certain tightening of the stomach....
Old 04-13-2005, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Well thank you; i never said i had problems parking the car, just that it may have scraped while going over a dip and set off the parktronic. And i just had questions about the utility of raising the height, which doesn't make the car look like a 4 x 4, IMO. By the way, ghey is spelled gay, perhaps you should take some spelling lessons.....
The car looks bad if you keep it raised up. If you like gap between your tire and fender, then you might be the only person on this planet who doesn't like the look after a car is lowered. Keeping it raised=new hotness!

Thanks for the spelling "correction" Captain Obvious, did it ever occur to you that I might have spelled it that way on purpose? I will go back through the 182 threads that have used the incorrect spelling of gay and order all members who spelt it "ghey" to correct the mistake immediately. If they do not, I will contact you to get with all your "friends" at the "ralley" to make signs about it or something...

idiot.

Last edited by MBAMGPWR; 04-13-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM

2003 E500, 2005 SL600
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
The car looks bad if you keep it raised up. If you like gap between your tire and fender, then you might be the only person on this planet who doesn't like the look after a car is lowered. Keeping it raised=new hotness!

Thanks for the spelling "correction" Captain Obvious, did it ever occur to you that I might have spelled it that way on purpose? I will go back through the 182 threads that have used the incorrect spelling of gay and order all members who spelt it "ghey" to correct the mistake immediately. If they do not, I will contact you to get with all your "friends" at the "ralley" to make signs about it or something...

idiot.

Hi there, am not trying to get into an insult contest with you. I have better things to do as i am sure you do as well. One of the reasons i come to the forum is to get advice. I don't like having to use the hydraulic button, but was just curious what others are doing. If you look at the posts, it looks like most are in favor of doing so. Enough said.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 PM

SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Play nice kids.......

Personally it's not the size of the parking stalls, but the tire stops that chew up the underside of my front end Spent $5k on front end to date
Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by Natalie
Play nice kids.......
Anything you say, sweety! :p I'm just entertaining myself, no harm done.

What the hell did you do to your front end to spend $5k? I'm guessing you cracked the front facia or something? Gotta be careful, I had a CLK a couple years back and cracked the front because of a small mound of ice on the road. Had to replace & paint the whole damn thing...sucks!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I raise it 1" for city driving, because the driveways into shopping malls, and restaurants dip real badly. I even have to drive slowly off the main road into the business, malls, restaurants, and parking lots to avoid the front bumper from scrapping. Mercedes Customer Care informed me that the car will lower to the program driving height at 50 MPHs.

I do not have parktroincs, but I find the SL real easy to park. I park my car about 4 feet in front of the curb in parking lots. When the curb disappears from my view, I am perfectly park.
I agree with what you say; when the curb disappears stop. The car is short enogh to not cause a problem. Beats the "park by touch" method.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I agree with what you say; when the curb disappears stop. The car is short enogh to not cause a problem. Beats the "park by touch" method.
I just had a lot of practice and front bumper repairs in my younger days. I used to tear up the front bumper of my GTA Trans AM by pulling in the parking lots to fast. Those dips are step. I could see why some of the parktronics would go off when you get out of your driveway.

One owner of a gas station actual fix his entrance after I showed him what it is doing to front bumpers.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-13-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
ya I've got mine setting about 1/2" over the wheels (20s) and I have to pretty careful going in and out of driveways...

luckily if you hit the raise button twice fast it goes up quickly and i don't feel like i'm 18 again with the slammed import. but even with it raised i still find it a little too low and scrapes. luckily i don't drive much.

the parking stops do cause me concern. i try to stay as far back from them as possible...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
? on Raising Suspension

If as some people has posted they leave the car raised at all times, am I understanding it right that when the car reaches a certain speed, it will lower itself automatically just like it would if the suspension was not raised, and when you slow down, the car will raise back up to the height you selected.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Why would you raise a sportscar??!??

It's supposed to be low isn't it? ... I always drive mine in Sport mode
Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The only reason to raise it is to avoid grounding the front of the car when there's a sharp change of incline or, as we have in London, speed bumps to slow you down on a rat run.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM

s65AMG, sl500
From the Manual

"Only use height 1 and 2 when necessary. Otherwise

1. Petrol consumption will increase

2. Handling characteritics may be unfavourable"

"Height 1 for use of snow chains"

"Height 2 for Very uneven stretches"

Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
Yes, the above is what I came across in the manual... My S will cancel the raised setting once you get up to about 70 mph, I assumed that the SL would do the same, but I tried it yesterday up to 100 mph and it stays on. Which is a relief for me due to the lowering, at least I know that I have the option now.

And it makes quite a difference ride wise at moderate speeds (45-65).

I also like the feel of the sport mode in general. But on a trip to Vegas, some of my 'guests' think it's a little rough. You know how those women can be...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:09 PM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
I use mine daily as the driveway into work dips down from the street and then immediately goes back up - creating a sharp "V" in the pavement. The car will scrape unless it's been raised to it's max height.

As I leave each day I drop it back down to the lowest height.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: How many of you raise your SL's height?