SL/R230: Merdedes Buy-Back?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Merdedes Buy-Back?

Does anybody have any experience with MB buy-backs? I have had so many problems with my '03 SL500 that I have started the process. My car is back at the shop for the sixth time for a leak in the trunk. They fixed it six weeks ago, but it's baaack! I've had the transmission seals replaced, the top/windshield gasket leaked, the catalytic converter went up, brake rotors (12K mi.), the dash glove box wouldn't open, cold air escaping from an ill fitted console side panel, SOS warning to go to workshop immediately (the infamous no problem found). It's been in the shop so many times the Enterprise Rental/Loaner people know me by name. Even my salesman says they need to get me out of this car. I have an MB Credit lease with 15 months to go. I've offered to enter into a new lease if they'd do an early, 24 month termination on the current car. This can't cost MB much! If we fight and go the Lemon Law suit path, things will get ugly fast. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
You said you have offered to enter a new lease in exchnge for an early termination...what was their response to this offer?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
I thought the lemon law only applied to the first year of ownership?
I have heard of MB buying back as a courtesy...
With all the problems you had they should..
Old 06-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Maryland Lemon Law

Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
I thought the lemon law only applied to the first year of ownership?
I have heard of MB buying back as a courtesy...
With all the problems you had they should..
The Maryland implementation of the Federal Lemon Law requires the problem to first occur within 15 months or 15,000 miles. Maryland's implementation is a little more stringent than the minimum 1 year, 12,000 miles. It does not matter that the car manufacturer has a warranty period longer than the MD law. I'd like MD to do it as a courtesy and the title doesn't have to be listed as a buy-back. MB can just support the "trade-in" as an early lease termination. So far, no luck with making progress on the easy way for all. If we go the legal route it gets nasty and costs escalate dramatically, as does customer satisfaction!! I hope they resolve it quickly.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:46 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by cwoods817
The Maryland implementation of the Federal Lemon Law requires the problem to first occur within 15 months or 15,000 miles. Maryland's implementation is a little more stringent than the minimum 1 year, 12,000 miles. It does not matter that the car manufacturer has a warranty period longer than the MD law. I'd like MD to do it as a courtesy and the title doesn't have to be listed as a buy-back. MB can just support the "trade-in" as an early lease termination. So far, no luck with making progress on the easy way for all. If we go the legal route it gets nasty and costs escalate dramatically, as does customer satisfaction!! I hope they resolve it quickly.
A formal letter from an attorney that serves as a mediator might be able to accomplish just what you seek, pointing out the benefits to all involved with resolution of this issue, but sometimes it needs to come from someone other than the customer for them to see the light. Let us know what happens in any case.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by RadSteve
A formal letter from an attorney that serves as a mediator might be able to accomplish just what you seek, pointing out the benefits to all involved with resolution of this issue, but sometimes it needs to come from someone other than the customer for them to see the light. Let us know what happens in any case.

TN law states the below, so I am wondering what is the express warranty? I wonder if the express warranty is the standard 4-year warranty that Mercedes provide? I am also looking into the lemon, since my trunk is still leaking.

http://www.autolemonlaws.com/tennessee/lemonlaw.htm#1

55-24-207. Statute of limitations.

(a) Any action brought under this part shall be commenced within six (6) months following:

(1) Expiration of the express warranty term; or

(2) One (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the later date.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I got great news today. A lawyer told me I have a great case. In TN the Lemon law period is the express warranty. The lawyer also told me that it will not cost me a penny.

Wish me luck.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Good luck!!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I got great news today. A lawyer told me I have a great case. In TN the Lemon law period is the express warranty. The lawyer also told me that it will not cost me a penny.

Wish me luck.
I certainly wish you good luck. I am not as fortunate as you at this point. We are still trying to get the leak to occur at the dealership. I have no problem getting it leak at home! It goes back again tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I certainly wish you good luck. I am not as fortunate as you at this point. We are still trying to get the leak to occur at the dealership. I have no problem getting it leak at home! It goes back again tomorrow.

Get a bucket of water and pour it down the rear window two times. Leave the trunk partiton up and the partiton flaps should get wet.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:05 AM

2005 SL65
leaks and lemons...

to reproduce the leak, have you had them continuously douse the car in the wash station?

regarding replacing your car, suggest you get full copy of state lemon law. assemble complete repair history of your car. be certain the problems wth your car comport with statutory requirements of lemon law so the legal burden can be met. detail same on paper. personally present paper with comparison of lemon law and car history to dealership general manager. politely explain you have no choice other than to lemon the car, and that if they force you to go to such length, then you'll send explanatory memo to MBUSA president and marketing SVP with observations about dealership handling.

you mustbe prepared to follow through given good chance dealership will ignore your threat.

please continue to post your experiences.

david
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by david_101
to reproduce the leak, have you had them continuously douse the car in the wash station?

regarding replacing your car, suggest you get full copy of state lemon law. assemble complete repair history of your car. be certain the problems wth your car comport with statutory requirements of lemon law so the legal burden can be met. detail same on paper. personally present paper with comparison of lemon law and car history to dealership general manager. politely explain you have no choice other than to lemon the car, and that if they force you to go to such length, then you'll send explanatory memo to MBUSA president and marketing SVP with observations about dealership handling.

you mustbe prepared to follow through given good chance dealership will ignore your threat.

please continue to post your experiences.

david
My attorney is sending MBUSA the initial letter to start the Lemon Law claim process. He told me that he will only work with MBUSA. I have fax to my attorney 11 work invoice statements, bill of sale, car registration, and initial loan documentation.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
MD vs. TN Lemon Laws

My attorney is sending MBUSA the initial letter to start the Lemon Law claim process. He told me that he will only work with MBUSA. I have fax to my attorney 11 work invoice statements, bill of sale, car registration, and initial loan documentation.
You are in better shape than I am as the MD Lemon Law limits leased vehicles to 12 months/12,000 miles vs. 15 and 15,000 for purchased vehicles. I have to proceed under the Magnuson-moss Warranty Act if they don't fix it, I returned it this morning for the seventh trip for a leaking trunk! Failing this, the remedies are very similar to the Lemon Law. it just seems easier to do an early termination of a lease than do a buy-back! Oh well, hope yours goes easily and quickly.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Leasks in the trunk

Get a bucket of water and pour it down the rear window two times. Leave the trunk partiton up and the partiton flaps should get wet.
Mine leasks in the same place as yours. I remember the pictures you did and mine are the same. I can replicate the problem at will in my driveway which at the point I wash cars is tilted front-to-back by 10 degrees. On level land it doesn't leak much if at all. If the car is parked on a slant in the rain it will leak. I did a "hostage picture" yesterday when I got home from a "no-problem-found" visit to the dealer yesterday...I hosed the car down, dried it and then opened the trunk, held yesterday's newspaper in the picture and took the pictures that showed the large wet spots on the partition flaps! I took it back this morning much to their dismay.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Mine leasks in the same place as yours. I remember the pictures you did and mine are the same. I can replicate the problem at will in my driveway which at the point I wash cars is tilted front-to-back by 10 degrees. On level land it doesn't leak much if at all. If the car is parked on a slant in the rain it will leak. I did a "hostage picture" yesterday when I got home from a "no-problem-found" visit to the dealer yesterday...I hosed the car down, dried it and then opened the trunk, held yesterday's newspaper in the picture and took the pictures that showed the large wet spots on the partition flaps! I took it back this morning much to their dismay.
Looks like I have the same problems as you. Will any lawyer take your case? In TN, it will not cost me anything, because the manufacturer has to pay all legal fees. Goto this web site and see if they will take your case http://www.lemonlaw.com/. If they decide to take your case, it is free to you. If the problem started the first year and continued on, you may have a good lemon law case

1. Windshield replaced unde warranty
2. Center console repaired
3. Glovebox repaired twice
4. repaired water leak in trunk 4 times.

If you are a member of MBCA, they can help you out. MBCA has a representative at MBUSA to help out problems like yours. www.mbca.org. www.mbca.org

Last edited by tiggerfink; 06-10-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 AM

2005 SL500
Wow...incredible that such a problem cannot be resolved. Do the new 05s have this issue as well??
Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 PM

none
My car has been leak and trouble free...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Finally one that's trouble free??

My car has been leak and trouble free...
Aren't you the person who went through three SLs before the fourth one was trouble free? And of course your car is only a couple of months old! I hope you never have a problem with this one.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Darn,

I have to wait for two months from a response from MBUSA. Lawyer siad I have a great case, I just hope he is right.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL500
Waiting time

Darn,

I have to wait for two months from a response from MBUSA. Lawyer siad I have a great case, I just hope he is right.
Time is on MBUSA's side. They just hope to wear us down! They won't wear me down, I can assure you.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

'04 S430 4 Matic and '05 997
Aren't you the person who went through three SLs before the fourth one was trouble free? And of course your car is only a couple of months old! I hope you never have a problem with this one.
LOL!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS

Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 PM

none
Yep, I am picky *****... I could have easily let them fix the check engine light and issues with the other cars and more than likely had a trouble free car.
Something that I didnt know till recently is that none of the first three cars went through a PDI.

I know 6 people with Sl500's,Sl55's and an Sl600 none of them have had any issues with leaking or any other problems for that matter.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Yep, I am picky *****... I could have easily let them fix the check engine light and issues with the other cars and more than likely had a trouble free car.
Something that I didnt know till recently is that none of the first three cars went through a PDI.

I know 6 people with Sl500's,Sl55's and an Sl600 none of them have had any issues with leaking or any other problems for that matter.
Do they drive more than 5 miles a week?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:00 AM

none
Id say they all drive average miles... 1000 a month.

What is it with this group? . If your cars suck that bad and are broken all the time then why do you keep them? Is your life so mundane that complaining about your car on an internet forum is the only joy you have?
Seems really stupid to keep a car thats broken all the time. If ANY car I bought spent more than a two weeks in the shop I would DUMP it the first chance I got.
It seems like 80% of the people that come into this forum have nothing but negative things to say. .

They need to change the name of this website to B*TCHANDMOANABOUTYOURMERCEDES.COM

Last edited by lorinserbenz; 06-16-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Exclamation You are not being fair...

Id say they all drive average miles... 1000 a month.

What is it with this group? . If your cars suck that bad and are broken all the time then why do you keep them? Is your life so mundane that complaining about your car on an internet forum is the only joy you have?
Seems really stupid to keep a car thats broken all the time. If ANY car I bought spent more than a two weeks in the shop I would DUMP it the first chance I got.
It seems like 80% of the people that come into this forum have nothing but negative things to say. .

They need to change the name of this website to B*TCHANDMOANABOUTYOURMERCEDES.COM
With all due respect to you as I have always respected everything you have said, I do have to disagree with this set of comments and I think you are being incredibly unfair to others.

First, not everyone can afford to dump a $100,000 car and take that loss. If you can then you are very fortunate but to criticize others that may not be as fortunate is unfair and not reasonable.

Secondly, I don't think anyone bought these cars expecting to have problems. I think people want to love their car but many are heartbroken as a result of all of the problems. I would think in this instance compassion would be an admirable quality instead of blasting them.

Everyone here is a Mercedes lover. The negativity comes from their experience with their cars and they are entitled to have them.

Nobody wanted a car with problems. Yours is fine but go back and read your posts when you were having problems with your car. Everyone was very supportive and I would think you might want to return that feeling to others that have not been able to solve their problems.

Just my humble opinion. Sorry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Merdedes Buy-Back?