SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Car rinse system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Car rinse system

Just ordered a de-ionizing rinse system today.

Rinse with no drying and no spots!

For now, the 300 gallon model provides 3 times the water for only $80.00 more than the 100 gallon model.

www.crspotless.com

The price on the 300 gallon will be going up to $400.00 soon.

This may sound like an ad, but I saw this in Roundel magazine.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Let us know if it works!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
tester!

Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Let us know if it works!
i just bought a cleaning kit at costco. for 30 bucks, it wasn't bad. but on a black car, there were still spots. as my lexus is also black, if this works, 80 dollars is cheap. el cajon is only 15 minutes from me. i will buy one next week and let you know how it works.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:45 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Would it work on well water that is slightly hard?
I have been using a leaf blower on my SL and then finishing with a chamois. The leaf blower has cut my drying time in half, and it gets the water out of those places that run down after you finish.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by tandan
i just bought a cleaning kit at costco. for 30 bucks, it wasn't bad. but on a black car, there were still spots. as my lexus is also black, if this works, 80 dollars is cheap. el cajon is only 15 minutes from me. i will buy one next week and let you know how it works.

Sorry, my post may have been confusing, it's not $80.00, it's $300.00.

My point was that the 300 gallon model was only $80.00 more than the 100 gallon model.

The price for the 300 gallon is going to go up soon.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scruffyone
Would it work on well water that is slightly hard?
I have been using a leaf blower on my SL and then finishing with a chamois. The leaf blower has cut my drying time in half, and it gets the water out of those places that run down after you finish.

This should be perfect for that.

This a smaller version of what good car washes use.

It's not the same filters that Home depot has.

The leaf blower is a great idea. The combo of this filter and the leaf blower will be perfect!!

I am going to get the Karcher pressure washer from Lowes. My gas powered washer is a pain for quickie rinses.

Last edited by PA500SL; 06-25-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Real world review here for ya....found on the web.

Let us know how yours makes out.

CRSpotless Review-

Long awaited review of the filtering system,

The filter arrived via UPS in a very large brown cardboard box. I was surprised at the size and weight when I recieved the order, I was not expecting it to be this large as most of the filters I have tried were quite small when compared to this system.

Upon opening the box, I could see that the parts were quality made, all heavy duty and not a cheap foreign made system. I liked the feel of it as well as the looks. The frame looked to be powder coated and the filter cases were about the size of a football

The accessories and parts were all included in the box to set everything up including a 1gpm and a 2gpm restrictor, I like having the choice nad everyone has different water pressure, so you are able to "fine tune" it to meet your water situation. The instruction manual was very easy to understand and setting up the system was fast and easy with no mechanical knowledge, just follow the directions.

The next day we wanted to try out the filtering system and was very easy to set-up and use.
We did run into a problem- it leaked where it was mated- brass to plastic.
Even though CRSpotless included all the fittings and teflon sealing tape, we tried several times to seal the leaks but did not totally stop the leaking.
We did use the filter on a car using filtered water for both wash and rinse- waiting for the water to dry was kinda boring (like watching a clock), but I did want to "see it work" and was ready with a polish and MicroFiber Towel, "just in case". Amazing- it did work and we were totally amazed, as we have terrible water quality and this is the first filter that did not leave ANY spots.
As those that know me personally as well as on the internet, they know that I am a perfectionist when it comes to detailing and if I say something works..., it really does work as advertised.

The next day we went to the hardware store and purchased all PVC fittings, removed the brass and reinstalled the new fittings and the leaks stopped. I prefer the PVC to PVC fittings rather than the brass to PVC. It seems to seal off much easier as well as being lighter.

We washed a couple more cars, this time only using the filter for rinsing to really put it to the test.
Again, it worked perfectly- as advertised- no spots!!! We are very happy with the results.

So, as I am wanting to find the limits of the filter, our next wash was going to be on a black car, 1/2 in the shade, 1/2 in the noonday sun to see if there was any difference and to really put it to the test.
It is always stressfull when testing a product you have never used on your own vehicles, but all of our test panels were currently in use, so we had no choice. We washed the black car and waited for it to dry. We were worried about the side that was in the sun and I do not like to remove water spots, however, that was not the case with the CRSpotless..., it really did perform as advertised- I am impressed!!!

The "system" includes a "gauge" or actually it is a light that lets you know when the filters need to be replaced.
I really like that design, as there would be nothing worse than washing your vehicle, walking away, then coming back to a spotted finish because the filters were needing to be replaced and you did not know they were on their last leg..., however, CRSpotless was on top of things and already taken that scenario into consideration, so, there is no guessing and no worries "if it will work this time" or if the filters are still performing or need to be replaced as the "gauge" will let you know- GREAT THINKING!!

We have been using the filtering system for a couple of months and it still is performing as new.
I do not know how long the filters will last and have no way of gauging the durability or the amount of water used.
I think a gauge that measures how much water you use would be a good option, not needed, but I like to know how far it goes (I am the guy that checks my gas milage every time I fill the gas tank).

All in all, I am very happy with the filtering system (although I would like to see them replace the brass with PVC), the quality, the results and customer service, (I did have several questions that was answered and I can say the staff is knowledgable, friendly and professional).

You can wash and just walk away, however-
If you plan to polish, wax, etc..., you will still need to dry, at least partially.
What I like about this is- it is fast, very fast. I do not have to dry completely, I just use the Waynestowels Waffle Weave Towel and quickly remove and puddles of water and with a quick pull of the towel over the finish and most of the water is quickly removed.
Now, I go get the polish, wax, etc and begin to set up to polish and do not have to worry about spotting and by the time I am ready, the vehicle is dry

This is one product that really does work as advertised!!!

Old 06-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by PA500SL
This should be perfect for that.

This a smaller version of what good car washes use.

It's not the same filters that Home depot has.

The leaf blower is a great idea. The combo of this filter and the leaf blower will be perfect!!

I am going to get the Karcher pressure washer from Lowes. My gas powered washer is a pain for quickie rinses.
I bought the cheap Black and Decker battery powered unit. Gas are to noisy/dirty/smelly, and i didn't feel like standing on a wet drive with a 110 volt unit.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
This is what I do.

1. Take nozzle off the hose and pour water down the car starting from the top. Do not spray, but just let the water run out of the hose. Work from top down and your car will be almost dry when you wipe with your micro-fiber towel.
2. Use my Meguairs micro fiber towel to whip off the excess.

This process takes me about 10 minutes.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
thanks

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Real world review here for ya....found on the web.

Let us know how yours makes out.

CRSpotless Review-

Long awaited review of the filtering system,

The filter arrived via UPS in a very large brown cardboard box. I was surprised at the size and weight when I recieved the order, I was not expecting it to be this large as most of the filters I have tried were quite small when compared to this system.

Upon opening the box, I could see that the parts were quality made, all heavy duty and not a cheap foreign made system. I liked the feel of it as well as the looks. The frame looked to be powder coated and the filter cases were about the size of a football

The accessories and parts were all included in the box to set everything up including a 1gpm and a 2gpm restrictor, I like having the choice nad everyone has different water pressure, so you are able to "fine tune" it to meet your water situation. The instruction manual was very easy to understand and setting up the system was fast and easy with no mechanical knowledge, just follow the directions.

The next day we wanted to try out the filtering system and was very easy to set-up and use.
We did run into a problem- it leaked where it was mated- brass to plastic.
Even though CRSpotless included all the fittings and teflon sealing tape, we tried several times to seal the leaks but did not totally stop the leaking.
We did use the filter on a car using filtered water for both wash and rinse- waiting for the water to dry was kinda boring (like watching a clock), but I did want to "see it work" and was ready with a polish and MicroFiber Towel, "just in case". Amazing- it did work and we were totally amazed, as we have terrible water quality and this is the first filter that did not leave ANY spots.
As those that know me personally as well as on the internet, they know that I am a perfectionist when it comes to detailing and if I say something works..., it really does work as advertised.

The next day we went to the hardware store and purchased all PVC fittings, removed the brass and reinstalled the new fittings and the leaks stopped. I prefer the PVC to PVC fittings rather than the brass to PVC. It seems to seal off much easier as well as being lighter.

We washed a couple more cars, this time only using the filter for rinsing to really put it to the test.
Again, it worked perfectly- as advertised- no spots!!! We are very happy with the results.

So, as I am wanting to find the limits of the filter, our next wash was going to be on a black car, 1/2 in the shade, 1/2 in the noonday sun to see if there was any difference and to really put it to the test.
It is always stressfull when testing a product you have never used on your own vehicles, but all of our test panels were currently in use, so we had no choice. We washed the black car and waited for it to dry. We were worried about the side that was in the sun and I do not like to remove water spots, however, that was not the case with the CRSpotless..., it really did perform as advertised- I am impressed!!!

The "system" includes a "gauge" or actually it is a light that lets you know when the filters need to be replaced.
I really like that design, as there would be nothing worse than washing your vehicle, walking away, then coming back to a spotted finish because the filters were needing to be replaced and you did not know they were on their last leg..., however, CRSpotless was on top of things and already taken that scenario into consideration, so, there is no guessing and no worries "if it will work this time" or if the filters are still performing or need to be replaced as the "gauge" will let you know- GREAT THINKING!!

We have been using the filtering system for a couple of months and it still is performing as new.
I do not know how long the filters will last and have no way of gauging the durability or the amount of water used.
I think a gauge that measures how much water you use would be a good option, not needed, but I like to know how far it goes (I am the guy that checks my gas milage every time I fill the gas tank).

All in all, I am very happy with the filtering system (although I would like to see them replace the brass with PVC), the quality, the results and customer service, (I did have several questions that was answered and I can say the staff is knowledgable, friendly and professional).

You can wash and just walk away, however-
If you plan to polish, wax, etc..., you will still need to dry, at least partially.
What I like about this is- it is fast, very fast. I do not have to dry completely, I just use the Waynestowels Waffle Weave Towel and quickly remove and puddles of water and with a quick pull of the towel over the finish and most of the water is quickly removed.
Now, I go get the polish, wax, etc and begin to set up to polish and do not have to worry about spotting and by the time I am ready, the vehicle is dry

This is one product that really does work as advertised!!!

that is a great review. my only question now, is it worth $300 to me. right now i'm like a kid and don't mind washing my new toy, but in a couple of months i'll be paying someone else to do it. maybe i'll let the detailer use it and ask for a discount
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
This is what I do.

1. Take nozzle off the hose and pour water down the car starting from the top. Do not spray, but just let the water run out of the hose. Work from top down and your car will be almost dry when you wipe with your micro-fiber towel.

I tried this last nite, and it worked like a charm! Thanks Tigger! Cut drying time in a third, and down to only 2 towels on my previously zaino'd 750Li. Now if only my SL600 would get to me.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by RadSteve
I tried this last nite, and it worked like a charm! Thanks Tigger! Cut drying time in a third, and down to only 2 towels on my previously zaino'd 750Li. Now if only my SL600 would get to me.
It takes me two micro-fiber towels to. I just wipe off the excess quickly with the big micro-fiber drying towel and wipe off any remaining water with my smaller micro-fiber drying towel.

I use different color micro-fiber towels for different things. Yellow for drying, blue for wax, and white for wheels.

Also it is best to wash the car by starting at the bottom. I use either a sheep wool mitt or micro-fiber towel to wash the area under the doors, around the fenders, and lower rear bumper. I use a separate towel or mitt for each side, each fender area, and bumper. Once you are done with the lower part, pour out the water out of your rise and wash bucket and replace with new water and shampoo in the wash bucket and start-washing top down. Use a new micro-fiber towel per section. I use about 10 micro-fiber towels per wash.

By doing it this way, you will have less dirt to move around on your car.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 06-29-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:24 AM

Well it finally arrived.

Kind of got killed on shipping ($52.00). It is about 40 lbs.

The unit now also comes with a probe with a test light to measure the resistivity of the filtered water. This will help determine when to change the filter cartridges.

It does appear to be a quality product.

I'll set it up, use it this weekend and let everyone know how it works.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:26 AM

Car washers are standing by for your report.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:18 AM

96 SL500, 97 E420
Originally Posted by tiggerfink
This is what I do.

I was at Costco about a month ago getting a Mr Clean auto dry, there was a guy in the checkout line who said he had went to a McGuire's detailing class and this is what they were taught. Yes taking the nozzle off is it, faster and cheaper!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, I finally got to use this thing. The other guy was right,the brass adapters do not seal as well as they should, but it's no big deal.

While the sheeting method for rinsing a car is well documented, it's not necessary with this filter. I used a small Karcher (model 386 from Lowes) pressure washer so I could clean the wheels at the same time.

I have a lot of dissolved calcium in my water, so it was nearly impossible to rinse and dry my cars before the spots appeared--until now!

The first time out of the box was in full sunshine and no spots! I did squeegie the windows- couldn't help myself.

I think the worth of this product really depends on the quality of your water. The other obvious aspect would be the cost. As I mentioned before, the shipping was pretty steep, but it is a heavy piece of equipment.

I will keep using it and report if there are any changes, so far...
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM

Wow!.. after an hour in the bright sunshine the car is dry with no hard water spots! No spots at all!!

This thing really does work!