SL/R230: Why I went from my 05 to an 06 SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Why I went from my 05 to an 06 SL600

Driving home one day back in October, while sitting at a traffic light in very heavy traffic, all of a sudden I heard what sounded like an explosion. I looked in my rearview mirror and the lady who was stopped behind me just about flew into her windshield, before she hit me. Some ******* smashed into her and caused her to hit me. Needless to say a very depressing moment. I initially looked at the car and it really didn't look that bad. See what you think.

First thought just a hole popped into the bumper in the back of the car and a little scratching in the panel to the right of the license plate. Then I started to notice the gaps have changed around the trunk lid close to the top of the taillights. The back side panels look as though they were pushed outward. So I take it to a body shop recommended by the dealership and they are right next to them. At first they thought it was no big deal, then they started taking the car apart and realized it was smashed underneath the bumper. The estimate went up to a little over $6,000.00. I picked up the car and the paint job was less than perfect, globs on the bumper in the tracks where the parktronic sensors go, the deck lid had swirl marks galour in it, and various hazing on the side panels. They again work on the car, paint another new bumper and address the body paint issues. I take the car and still notice that the trunk lid gaps are off, not badly off, but off and after a couple of weeks again what looks like white clouds appearing on the rear side panel of the car.

After this all happened, I would think about it each time I looked at the car and just did not like it. So I decided to just put it behind me and get a new one. This time I added the distronic and parktronic and tire pressure monitor systems that I didn't have before.

To some this would be crazy, but we each make our own decisions.

Last edited by StephenK; 07-03-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL 500
I understand...

These cars cost so much and are so special that anyting short of perfection (or close to it) would be less than satisfying. If I had the financial resources to replace a damaged car then I would too. Best of luck with the 06.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks

Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
These cars cost so much and are so special that anyting short of perfection (or close to it) would be less than satisfying. If I had the financial resources to replace a damaged car then I would too. Best of luck with the 06.
Thanks, I hope I don't have the same thing happen to me with this one. I actually never had a car before that had been in an accident, and the nicest car I ever had would have to be the first one.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Completely understand; over the years I've traded many a car for alot less of a problem than this.

Last edited by RJC; 07-03-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Feeling

Originally Posted by RJC
Completely understand; over the years I've traded many a car for much less of a reason.
I didn't look forward to doing it, but I just needed to put it behind me.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:48 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Now you can enjoy every perfect curve and line of her again! Many safe and happy miles to you.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Now that you've told us, it all makes sense. These are complex cars to make and especially to fix outside the plant. Was the roof up or down at the time? I was told that the car is very expensive to fix if it has a rear-end shunt when the roof is down.

Anyway, your damage is now someone else's problem.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Thumbs up You made the right decision...

With $6,000 worth of damage you had no choice.

You made the correct decision.

Now you can enjoy that beautiful car.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Almost a Member!

SL65 AMG
Totally makes sense to me. Good move. Isn't it great to sleep at night again?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 AM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by StephenK
Driving home one day back in October, while sitting at a traffic light in very heavy traffic, all of a sudden I heard what sounded like an explosion. I looked in my rearview mirror and the lady who was stopped behind me just about flew into her windshield, before she hit me. Some ******* smashed into her and caused her to hit me. Needless to say a very depressing moment. I initially looked at the car and it really didn't look that bad. See what you think.

First thought just a hole popped into the bumper in the back of the car and a little scratching in the panel to the right of the license plate. Then I started to notice the gaps have changed around the trunk lid close to the top of the taillights. The back side panels look as though they were pushed outward. So I take it to a body shop recommended by the dealership and they are right next to them. At first they thought it was no big deal, then they started taking the car apart and realized it was smashed underneath the bumper. The estimate went up to a little over $6,000.00. I picked up the car and the paint job was less than perfect, globs on the bumper in the tracks where the parktronic sensors go, the deck lid had swirl marks galour in it, and various hazing on the side panels. They again work on the car, paint another new bumper and address the body paint issues. I take the car and still notice that the trunk lid gaps are off, not badly off, but off and after a couple of weeks again what looks like white clouds appearing on the rear side panel of the car.

After this all happened, I would think about it each time I looked at the car and just did not like it. So I decided to just put it behind me and get a new one. This time I added the distronic and parktronic and tire pressure monitor systems that I didn't have before.

I completely agree with you. It was never the same, and it's really hard to get past something like that that you notice every time you walk up to the car, even if others can't see it.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
ditto!!

Originally Posted by RadSteve
I completely agree with you. It was never the same, and it's really hard to get past something like that that you notice every time you walk up to the car, even if others can't see it.
like rad says, even if others do not perceive it. you know!. whenever you get a new car, just a ding or a small scratch will get you in the pit of yor stomach. with such a fabulous car it would just never be the same.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
I dont blame you at all... I did the same thing with my G35 coupe.
Someone keyed the right rear quarter panel. I took it to the best body shop in town but it still wasnt "perfect" to me. I traded it for my E320 a week later..

My car felt violated so I had to dump her..
Old 07-04-2005, 04:33 PM

14 'E550
No blame at all, I had an 03 Evolution with 900 miles on it. Someone ran me off the road into a telephone pole ($12k in damage). I sold the car right after getting it back, got the STi.

And now we are talking about an SL600, that car shouldn't be any short of perfect.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
I'd have done the same thing - and better luck to you with this car.

In fact, my partner and I have an agreement that if my car gets hit - it goes. Love the top but also recognize that the least bit of damage that causes it go be out of alignment will foverer but a pain in the *ss.

My '88 560 was hit not once, but twice. Both times I was sitting at lights.

The first time a moron dropped his truck in reverse and backed into me - from 10 feet away. It was 6:30am without a soul - car or person - in sight...but he suddenly felt remorse over having stopped in the crosswalk. So without looking he dropped in in reverse and gunned it backwards. Never saw my lights or heard me blowing the horn...a mere 10K in damage.

The second time someone taking a left got broadsided and ended up in my front end (happily the contact with my car not only broke the rear axle on his Honda - but snapped the rear left wheel off his car entirely - there was some minor pleasure to see his car scraping down on the pavement as it skidded to a halt.) However another 10K in damage to my car. Ironically...at the accident site I got the call from the dealership to say that my current SL was in and ready for delivery - providence??

I guess the bottom line of the commentary is that while we can love our cars and do our best to protect them...sadly, we are victims to the actions of the other idiots who drive along eating, talking on the phone, putting on make-up and otherwise just visiting la-la land as they hurl a ton or two of metal towards us.

Last edited by Gunther; 07-05-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

'04 S430 4 Matic and '05 997
Originally Posted by RJC
Completely understand; over the years I've traded many a car for alot less of a problem than this.

Oh yes.

What a pain it is to have to go car shopping when the ashtray has filled or the windshield washer fluid level is low.

The Average Joe just doesn't appreciate the annoyances that come with being wealthy.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:38 AM

G500,toyota supra, 67corvette,05 pathfinder
while i can see where you are coming from and i uderstand why you traded cars, The damage on that car was not that bad. Im sure that was the usual "Mercedes drivers have money charage him a lot" deal. The tail light could have been cleaned to get the paint off. the truck lid probably buffed to the white pait off from the other vehicle. ( at least it looks like it in the picture) Depending on how pickey you are they could have sanded the bumper patched it and painted it. would have never noticed. This is done all the time on the front end of those cars, as well as S class and CLK where the front bumper is so low. As for the gaps im sure it could have all been realigned with the regular bolts and times. usually your gaps only move on a car like that if the frame has moved. there is no way that car had any frame damage for a love pat like that.

Also one would think that if the trunk lid had buffed they would have been smart enough to paint the bumper off the car. There for you would have not had any over spray or blending. I know its correct to blend paint but on a $130K car the rest of the paint is new enought that it would have matched.

Like i said its your car and apparently you have done well so it does not matter what other think on why you traded. Just a shame you had to go though all this. Would have been a lot easier to take the $6k from the insueance and trade the car damaged
Old 07-06-2005, 03:29 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
Originally Posted by StephenK

Now I see your point. As you will see on the crash link below... when that d1ck ran a red light and hit me at 80km/h I was more than upset. However, I wish I had pictures of what had happened.

I was in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Sat stationary at a red light, the lights change so I slowly set off... and as I clear the corner I look right and see this white van man racing... he doesn't even bother to brake and hits me side on...

My car did 2x 360 spin and a 180 so I'm facing the wrong direction. On top fo this I'm now sat on tram tracks, with a tram approaching me at speed. The car navigation system is freaking out telling me to make a U-turn.

When I looked out, through my now smashed passenger window I can see this van trashed. The engine was out of the car, the front was totalled, the windscreen (windshield) was totalled and there was a damn awful smell of petrol. Not really caring for if the petrol was coming from my car or not.... I floored the car to get it off the tram tracks and pulled over, just off the side of the road. I got out of the car and saw the other driver (jerk) still sat in his
van slumped over the steering wheel...so my initial reaction was "hmm petrol, man inside, maybe big explosion and chance I could die" so I stayed put. He did however come around and get out himself.

I called the Police (as well did many others) and they turned up about 2 minutes later. First of the all the Dutch police freaked out at me for moving my car (as the Dutch, no matter where they have an accident, do NOT move their cars). I explained I could smell petrol, his car was near me and I didn't want to have my car, nor myself looking like a piece of burnt toast. Anyways, they calmed down and the d1ck tried to say that it was me who bust the red light.

To cut a long story short... I was taken away in an ambulance to a hospital literally about 30 seconds away, checked out and I was fine. No idea what happened to him, nor his wreck either. I got a letter from the insurance saying that his van wasn't insured at all. So full claim on my insurance. The repair cost over €12,000.00 in the Netherlands. However ZERO chassis damage amazingly.

After all of this crap.. the car just felt like utter ****. It was slide with ease on corners it could easily take previously. I set my mind on getting rid asap. I started debating what to buy... I wanted an SL, but the g/f wasn't keen on having another 4 seater so soon after the SLK crash. So I opted for the CLK as I'd seen one the previous day and thought they looked great.

So now I'm the owner of a brand new CLK.. and gladly got rid of the SLK. My insurance premium jumped up, like €93 a month thanks to Mr NOT Insured D1ck... but I'm alive and that is what counts.

Sorry for my rant... but maybe you guys are interested - or not?

Matthew
Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Originally Posted by matsna
Now I see your point. As you will see on the crash link below... when that d1ck ran a red light and hit me at 80km/h I was more than upset. However, I wish I had pictures of what had happened.

I was in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Sat stationary at a red light, the lights change so I slowly set off... and as I clear the corner I look right and see this white van man racing... he doesn't even bother to brake and hits me side on...

My car did 2x 360 spin and a 180 so I'm facing the wrong direction. On top fo this I'm now sat on tram tracks, with a tram approaching me at speed. The car navigation system is freaking out telling me to make a U-turn.

When I looked out, through my now smashed passenger window I can see this van trashed. The engine was out of the car, the front was totalled, the windscreen (windshield) was totalled and there was a damn awful smell of petrol. Not really caring for if the petrol was coming from my car or not.... I floored the car to get it off the tram tracks and pulled over, just off the side of the road. I got out of the car and saw the other driver (jerk) still sat in his
van slumped over the steering wheel...so my initial reaction was "hmm petrol, man inside, maybe big explosion and chance I could die" so I stayed put. He did however come around and get out himself.

I called the Police (as well did many others) and they turned up about 2 minutes later. First of the all the Dutch police freaked out at me for moving my car (as the Dutch, no matter where they have an accident, do NOT move their cars). I explained I could smell petrol, his car was near me and I didn't want to have my car, nor myself looking like a piece of burnt toast. Anyways, they calmed down and the d1ck tried to say that it was me who bust the red light.

To cut a long story short... I was taken away in an ambulance to a hospital literally about 30 seconds away, checked out and I was fine. No idea what happened to him, nor his wreck either. I got a letter from the insurance saying that his van wasn't insured at all. So full claim on my insurance. The repair cost over €12,000.00 in the Netherlands. However ZERO chassis damage amazingly.

After all of this crap.. the car just felt like utter ****. It was slide with ease on corners it could easily take previously. I set my mind on getting rid asap. I started debating what to buy... I wanted an SL, but the g/f wasn't keen on having another 4 seater so soon after the SLK crash. So I opted for the CLK as I'd seen one the previous day and thought they looked great.

So now I'm the owner of a brand new CLK.. and gladly got rid of the SLK. My insurance premium jumped up, like €93 a month thanks to Mr NOT Insured D1ck... but I'm alive and that is what counts.

Sorry for my rant... but maybe you guys are interested - or not?

Matthew
How typical. No fault of yours, and the insurance raises your rates because of Mr ****. Commiserations! Glad you're enjoying your new baby too.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
StephenK, I don't blame you at all for the trade. I would have done the same thing. Good luck with the new car. I am sure you will love the TPMS, Distronic, and Parktronic. I have them on my E55. Just curious though, what are your thoughts on the SL55 vs SL600? I might get an SL and I am undecided on the 2. Your input (and anyone elses) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Just curious though, what are your thoughts on the SL55 vs SL600? I might get an SL and I am undecided on the 2. Your input (and anyone elses) would be appreciated. Thanks.
You should start a new thread for this question. It is a good topic. But will get lost on the tail end of this thread.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I wonder how many times this question (SL55 or SL600) has been asked and analysed in minute detail?

The answer seems to be that the performance of the car is comparable with the SL600 having greater mid-range grunt; the SL55 is the more sports-oriented of the two cars, the SL600 is more the consummate luxury GT. Keep in mind the two cars are 90% the same and are built on the same line so differences are as much product positioning as they are real and technical.

No Mercedes holds its value these days very well (what car does?) but the TCO of the SL55 is probabably a little lower.

Seems likely the SL55 will die soon as the N/A engines make a comeback. The SL55 engine is very expensive, you'll need to dig deep if you ever need a new supercharger.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does this mean blueSL will be ridding his hands of his SL55 soon?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 Black SL500
In my opinion I would take the SL55 over the 600 or 65. It just sounds so different from the other two, not to mention its agreesive styling over the others (SL65's bumper disrupts the SL's natural flow too much). It's really more or less only something a supercharged AMG V8 can deliver.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Does this mean blueSL will be ridding his hands of his SL55 soon?
No, but I am not chasing an upgrade path; the SL55 will be fine until the next generation arrives in 2010/11 and, judging by the styling of the new S class, beyond even then. I am being wooed to upgrade my daily driver to a 911 turbo S though...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

'04 S430 4 Matic and '05 997
The Porsche is way more fun to drive than any MB. Mercedes are simply too heavy and that takes away from the driving experience notwithstanding the huge engines they are shoehorning into them.

Go for the Turbo but I would wait, at this point, for the redesigned and much improved) 997 which won't be out for another year or so. Another option is to wait for the C2S with the X51 package later this year. Should have almost the same performance as the turbo but is rear wheel drive (which some prefer).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Why I went from my 05 to an 06 SL600