SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: The 2006 Vanquish S has arrived...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
Beautiful Beast! Love the interior too! But, are those waterspots on the underbody? heaven forbid. That car deserves a lawn to park on. Congrats!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Console pics

Curious if you have any shots of the center console illuminated, etc.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 PM

2005 SL600 Designo, Graphite Gray, Panorama Roof
The car is stunning...I love the looks and the interior is very elegant.

Curious that they would put the AC buttons and some other important buttons so low, but I love the car otherwise.

Whether its a performance match for the SL or not, it is rare and beautiful.

Enjoy it in good health.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I almost took the bait a couple of months back on the S but couldn't resist the temptation of the 430. But all of that aside the S is defiantly the best GT available at the moment IMO *However, that is if you don't consider the SLR a Super GT of sorts…* Still, I will never forget the sound of the S!

PS: Do you post over at the AMOC Board? I occasionally lurk there from time to time...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by craiglieberman
The car is stunning...I love the looks and the interior is very elegant.

Curious that they would put the AC buttons and some other important buttons so low, but I love the car otherwise.

Whether its a performance match for the SL or not, it is rare and beautiful.

Enjoy it in good health.
Thanks. I believe the reason for the A/C buttons being so low is because of the use of some of the controls from the DB9. The rest is completely different including the A/C buttons. Not sure why they put what they did where but it really isn't a problem. They are completely accessible.

I love the SL and both are very special. They just have different uses.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NOTKTS
I almost took the bait a couple of months back on the S but couldn't resist the temptation of the 430. But all of that aside the S is defiantly the best GT available at the moment IMO *However, that is if you don't consider the SLR a Super GT of sorts…* Still, I will never forget the sound of the S!

PS: Do you post over at the AMOC Board? I occasionally lurk there from time to time...
Funny you should say that because I drove a 430 last week. WOW, that is a racing sports car. Very different than the Vanquish S. Just as I say the Vanquish S and the SL are not comparable neither are the Vanquish S and the 430.

The 430 is one incredible machine. I never drove a car that felt so powerful and so reactive to the touch of the steering wheel. It was a ton of fun and like you with the Vanquish S, I was tempted.

There is a gorgeous Silver and Red one at Beverly Hills and I am thinking about it. I know you will love your 430.

I agree with your thoughts about the SLR.

I am on the AMOC all the time as LovinVanquishS. What a surprise name.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I saw Jay Leno almost loose control of the 430 and almost crashed into the wall at Indy.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
I saw Jay Leno almost loose control of the 430 and almost crashed into the wall at Indy.
After driving the car that doesn't surprise me.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's a beautiful car. Stunning. I can't imagine ever driving a Mercedes/BMW after owning an exotic.

I was looking into picking up a Gallardo or a Bentley Continental GT, but i'm definitely looking at a DB 9 now. Not a Vanquish, but I need something to look forward to!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by tiggerfink

That was a Carrera GT. He was lucky. Good show.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Funny you should say that because I drove a 430 last week. WOW, that is a racing sports car. Very different than the Vanquish S. Just as I say the Vanquish S and the SL are not comparable neither are the Vanquish S and the 430.

The 430 is one incredible machine. I never drove a car that felt so powerful and so reactive to the touch of the steering wheel. It was a ton of fun and like you with the Vanquish S, I was tempted.

There is a gorgeous Silver and Red one at Beverly Hills and I am thinking about it. I know you will love your 430.

I agree with your thoughts about the SLR.

I am on the AMOC all the time as LovinVanquishS. What a surprise name.
I still haven't been able to test drive a 430 yet, I just jumped on the build spot as fast as I could. I even was contemplating selling my spot a few times but I need a Christmas present and hope it will arrive by then You're right, their not comparable. However, If the 430 is anything like my previous 360 it will be just as much fun as the S. To me the 360 had the "unknown" factor where as the S inspired confidence.

But, who knows what we'll see in the future. I'm curious to see how the values of the S will hold compared to the Vanq.

And can you personally comment on the gear changes under heavy acceleration *Assuming Break-In* I personally didn't notice any of the wretched shifting that everyone rants about
Also is the rumored 520 Hp button true?? Double AC thing or Am I just crazy...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 PM

nice.. did you debate on the db9 vs the vanquish s? after seeing them both in person, imho the db9 for $75k less is almost nicer than the vanquish s and more advanced.. of course, you are essentially paying for the speed.. the db9 volante though.. now that's one hot car.. who cares if it's slower :>

Last edited by seattlecarfreak; 10-27-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

To me the 360 had the "unknown" factor where as the S inspired confidence.
Exactly!

Old 10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But, who knows what we'll see in the future. I'm curious to see how the values of the S will hold compared to the Vanq.

And can you personally comment on the gear changes under heavy acceleration *Assuming Break-In* I personally didn't notice any of the wretched shifting that everyone rants about
Also is the rumored 520 Hp button true?? Double AC thing or Am I just crazy...
I don't think this car does particularly well in holding residuals. I think the "S" will do better than the Vanquish only because for the next two years there will not make the Vanquish S. Its replacement will come in 2008/2009 and until then you won't be able to get them.

The Vanquish gear box was never as bad as people had said. I never understood it. That being said, the "S" has an updated gear box which in my opinion is superior to the F1 transmission in the Ferrari. Ferrari has the latest as seen in the 430 which has the F1A transmission. The latest technology.

Personally, I think the shifting in the Vanquish is half the fun of driving it.

The 520 HP is definitely true with nothing having to be done to the car. Not sure where those rumors that you speak about started. Most of the additional power is at 3rd and 4th but it does have some additional power low end. It is remarkably fast at 30-120.

Good luck with your 430. What an incredible machine!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I don't think this car does particularly well in holding residuals. I think the "S" will do better than the Vanquish only because for the next two years there will not make the Vanquish S. Its replacement will come in 2008/2009 and until then you won't be able to get them.

The Vanquish gear box was never as bad as people had said. I never understood it. That being said, the "S" has an updated gear box which in my opinion is superior to the F1 transmission in the Ferrari. Ferrari has the latest as seen in the 430 which has the F1A transmission. The latest technology.

Personally, I think the shifting in the Vanquish is half the fun of driving it.

The 520 HP is definitely true with nothing having to be done to the car. Not sure where those rumors that you speak about started. Most of the additional power is at 3rd and 4th but it does have some additional power low end. It is remarkably fast at 30-120.

Good luck with your 430. What an incredible machine!
Sorry for the amount of questions, but I'm seriously considering a trip back to the dealer in the next few up coming weeks The AC thing that I was referring to was a post that you previously made on AMOC. I now realize that it was you
Originally Posted by LovinVanquishS
Vanquish Spirit,

Of course the new center console will increase the performance of the car as well as the speed!

After reading all the posts on the new console yesterday I went and got the new 2006 Owner's Manual and there is a whole new section on "Improved Performance and Speed".

Evidently, if you push the two outside A/C buttons at the same time the car goes into "Advanced Mode" and there is an additional 20 horsepower, bringing the total to 540. I think this is why they positioned the A/C controls where they did.

What a nice surprise reading this. Can't wait to drive this machine!

Matthew
I was just curious to see if this was really the case? Thanks again, I really appreciate your knowledge and input
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
nice.. did you debate on the db9 vs the vanquish s? after seeing them both in person, imho the db9 for $75k less is almost nicer than the vanquish s and more advanced.. of course, you are essentially paying for the speed.. the db9 volante though.. now that's one hot car.. who cares if it's slower :>
I originally looked at the DB9 and did extensive investigation into both cars. Since owning the Vanquish S and taking the Professional Driving School that Aston Martin gives I have learned even more.

Bottom line is that the DB9 and Vanquish S do not compare as much as any DB9 owner would like to think. The DB9 can be a daily driver.

Here are the differences:

1. The style and appearance of the car is personal choice. The DB9 is sleeker and the Vanquish S is more muscular. Personally, I think the Vanquish S is sexier than the DB9 although I do think the DB9 is gorgeous. I love the muscle of the Vanquish S.

2. The interior of the DB9 was superior until 2006 when they took the DB9 center console and made some changes. Now, there are basically even although I prefer the open Navigation screen to the closed one in the DB9. Some prefer the closed.

3. Mechanically and performance wise they are not even close. The only similarity is the engine. After that the differences are remarkable. While the DB9 does have some of the later technology, the sophistication of the systems in the Vanquish S are far superior. The suspension and framework of the cars are totally different. The Vanquish S is a carbon fiber tub and the DB9 is a VH platform. The carbon fiber tub is far superior to the VH platform when it comes to strength and ride comfort. The DB9 holds well to the road but you feel the vibrations in the car and steering wheel. In the Vanquish S, you feel nothing. If you go over a bump, you feel the bump for a second and it is done. Absolutely no vibration in the car or steering wheel.

The DB9 has better weight distribution, front to back.

Not knocking the DB9, merely only pointing out that the $75 - $100,000 is well worth it. The DB9 Volante is certainly a gorgeous car but it too is deficient in performance when compared to the Coupe. Most convertibles are.

Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 10-27-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile Too funny...

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I'm seriously considering a trip back to the dealer in the next few up coming weeks The AC thing that I was referring to was a post that you previously made on AMOC. I now realize that it was you

Originally Posted by LovinVanquishS
Vanquish Spirit,

Of course the new center console will increase the performance of the car as well as the speed!

After reading all the posts on the new console yesterday I went and got the new 2006 Owner's Manual and there is a whole new section on "Improved Performance and Speed".

Evidently, if you push the two outside A/C buttons at the same time the car goes into "Advanced Mode" and there is an additional 20 horsepower, bringing the total to 540. I think this is why they positioned the A/C controls where they did.

What a nice surprise reading this. Can't wait to drive this machine!

Matthew
I was just curious to see if this was really the case? Thanks again, I really appreciate your knowledge and input
That is just too funny. That post was specifically for a gentleman in Europe that has a Vanquish S. He was going nuts trying to figure out how to increase the 520 HP in his car. AS A JOKE, I came up with the bull about the two A/C for an additional 20HP. He and others fell for it.

I promise you, it is 520HP and no more. I mean after all, 20 HP by pushing two A/C buttons. I underestimated people believing me.

I told them all in answering e-mails that is was a joke but I guess I should have posted. Oops, sorry!

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 10-27-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
That is just too funny. That post was specifically for a gentleman in Europe that has a Vanquish S. He was going nuts trying to figure out how to increase the 520 HP in his car. AS A JOKE, I came up with the bull about the two A/C for an additional 20HP. He and others fell for it.

I promise you, it is 520HP and no more. I mean after all, 20 HP by pushing two A/C buttons. I underestimated people believing me.

I told them all in answering e-mails that is was a joke but I guess I should have posted. Oops, sorry!
You sounded so composed and such. I too was baffled about the A/C buttons, but hey. You never know these days... That's a useful piece of information. I would probably be sitting in the parking lot pushing every button trying to get some hint of a performance gain
Thanks for the clarification Wow, I feel naive :p
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You sounded so composed and such. I too was baffled about the A/C buttons, but hey. You never know these days... That's a useful piece of information. I would probably be sitting in the parking lot pushing every button trying to get some hint of a performance gain
Thanks for the calefaction Wow, I feel naive :p
I am sooo sorry. Your only comfort is that you were not alone.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Yeah, But I'm definitely going to visit the AM Dealer soon for a second look at the S. The new dash is a huge improvement and I'll be posting my experiences on the AM Board soon enough about the second time around.
Still... Damn, now I'm disappointed in a way... I thought we had a factory improved NOS system of sorts :p
Anyways... Hope to see you around the boards and drive the Aston the way it was meant to drive
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...drive the Aston the way it was meant to drive
Well, I am going to have to wake the Vanquish S up then!

Attached Thumbnails The 2006 Vanquish S has arrived...-garage.jpg  
Old 10-30-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Well, I am going to have to wake the Vanquish S up then!

I am just curious how much that cover costs you?

Beautiful...
Old 10-30-2005, 05:16 AM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
Make some videos please! I've never seen a Vanquish video except Top Gear. Some speedo videos would be awesome!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by elbimmer
Make some videos please! I've never seen a Vanquish video except Top Gear. Some speedo videos would be awesome!
I have one. If someone can tell me how to post it, I will. It's not great but it is what I have for now.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I have one. If someone can tell me how to post it, I will. It's not great but it is what I have for now.
Do you have it hosted?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: The 2006 Vanquish S has arrived...