SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Intercooler Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever I feel like
Intercooler Issue

Took my SL600 in for service after the car emission place was unable to complete all the tests when hooked up to the cars computer. They found that the intercooler for the turbos was not operating properly and said that the "pump" and "relay" needed to be replaced.(I know next to nothing about it) The parts are supposed to be in on Thursday morning and car is supposed to be ready Thursday afternoon. From what I gather from reading on this forum about the issue, and what they said at the Mercedes place, this is a pretty common issue for the SL600. They said it could affect power by up to 60%. I am not sure how the power in my car was affected, since I just got it recently and it has the renntech ecu/transmission upgrades. Anyone else have any similar issues, Id love to hear about it. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Intercooler

I just had my pump changed, nothing was said about the relay though. The unfortunate thing is the pumps are a definate problem and they even have a new part number for it. Unfortunately the old part # is under the label for the new part number. From what I am told these pumps have been tested and are actually working. The supposed problem is corrosion inside the pump which is causing them to fail, and when it does the power will go down. From what I was told most would never notice it unless they really drive the car hard.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 PM

Whatever I feel like
Hey StevenK, did you have your pump changed before you went and had your car Rennteched and then dynoed? Do you notice much of a difference with your Renntech upgrade? I have the upgrade, but the car had it when I got it, so its hard for me to compare vs without it.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Renntech

I had the intercooler pump changed while at Renntech, they said it was not operating properly. I do notice a bigger kick with it. At launch, the tires break lose easier than they did in the past and the acceleration feels great. I used a device called GTECH tonight and the numbers compared to my track results seem to be quicker the farther I go thru the quarter mile run. I am going to the track this Sunday, to compare the previous non Renntech runs with my post Renntech modifications. I will post the results, that is going to be the real proof.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM

sl600 2005
my sl600 has new ic pump but i never heard it working.when car gets hot it feels slower,maybe relay should be changed.