SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Any recommendations on Dealerships In Houston, TX?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Any recommendations on Dealerships In Houston, TX?

Need to take the bad boy in for service, does anyone have good or bad experieneces with Greenway or Sugar Land MB? Any help is greatly appreciated!

In case anyone wants to know what kind of problems I am having:

1. "Electric consumers offline"
2. Need to have the "recall" on my braking system fixed
3. The gear selection display does not light up nor does the W/S button work.
4. Yesterday I filled up with gas and the fuel gauge did not register the increase in fuel until after 20 minutes of driving.
5.Wipers make horrible scratching noise (26k miles), need replacement.
6. Front pass side marker light will not stay in bumper, plastic spring clip is broken.
7. Also, my windows do not roll up or down very fast... is that common?

-Sal
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Sal SL5
Need to take the bad boy in for service, does anyone have good or bad experieneces with Greenway or Sugar Land MB? Any help is greatly appreciated!

4. Yesterday I filled up with gas and the fuel gauge did not register the increase in fuel until after 20 minutes of driving.
6. Front pass side marker light will not stay in bumper, plastic spring clip is broken.

-Sal
Don't know about which dealer but wanted to give you some hints about the fuel gauge problem. This was an inherent problem in the 2003's and it requires a whole new instrument cluster. They will take your mileage and give it to Mercedes Benz who will send a new cluster with your mileage. The exchange is very simple to do and does require some computer re-setting. The cover to the instrument cluster snaps off and you have just three screws to take out the cluster. Then there is just one multi-wire connector in the back. Rather simple. It only goes back one way, no adjusting to do.

I have also had problems with the windows having different speeds. I found this was due to the rubber seals and I know they have changed them over the model run.

If the two front are the same and the two rear are the same I would leave them alone. The front are usually faster than the rear. If one side is substantially faster than the other then I would think about having them change the seals.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
In Houston here...I bought my SL from MB of Houston North, and have been going to Greenway for service (they are sister dealerships). No complaints so far, I'd recommend them.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Lovin

LovinSL600, you know so much about these cars, its incredible. MBUSA should hire you.

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Don't know about which dealer but wanted to give you some hints about the fuel gauge problem. This was an inherent problem in the 2003's and it requires a whole new instrument cluster. They will take your mileage and give it to Mercedes Benz who will send a new cluster with your mileage. The exchange is very simple to do and does require some computer re-setting. The cover to the instrument cluster snaps off and you have just three screws to take out the cluster. Then there is just one multi-wire connector in the back. Rather simple. It only goes back one way, no adjusting to do.

I have also had problems with the windows having different speeds. I found this was due to the rubber seals and I know they have changed them over the model run.

If the two front are the same and the two rear are the same I would leave them alone. The front are usually faster than the rear. If one side is substantially faster than the other then I would think about having them change the seals.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Originally Posted by Sal SL5

-Sal
I have had experiences at both MB Greenway on the Southwest Freeway and Star Motor cars. I would go to Star Motorcars located on Old Katy Road just inside the loop and minutes from downtown. Star seems to be more honest and Greenway does un-necessary work. My two cents.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Greenway people are crap. Sugar Land people...they're nice, jus slow.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Greenway is good