SL/R230: SL500 Delivered Yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL500
SL500 Delivered Yesterday

It took 2 months from date of order.
Black, Char., Panorama Roof, Keyless Go, Parktronic, Comfort Seats, Sport Pkg.

My last SL500 was a '99.
Wow sure a lot of new technology to learn here.
I've driven about 100 mailes so far and love it so far.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Keep us updated. I'm planning on buying/ordering one so that the delivery is in March (yes, I'm superstitious).

I'm wary about the quality these days. The last model MB I own is from 1989 and its built rock solid, 150k miles.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by Vik888
I'm wary about the quality these days. The last model MB I own is from 1989 and its built rock solid, 150k miles.
I'd worry if I were you. I have thought several times since selling my 2005 SL600 about buying another one.

That car was gorgeous and given the price and the hard top feature the car is unbeatable.

You can't imagine how many times I have thought about wondering into the dealer and just ordering one. I have tried to convince myself that all cars have these problems but guess what...they don't.

I have now owned my Infiniti M45 for almost 5 months and there has been absolutely not one single problem. It went in for the first service and that is all it got. I can not remember the last time I had nothing wrong with a car.

The interior finish while not as fancy as the SL is perfect and far better manufactured than any Mercedes Benz. It has every electronic gadget imaginable, far more than the SL and everything works perfectly. It has built in Bluetooth, your choice of SIRIUS or XM radio and the list goes on and on.

And all this for $58,000. I want to order another SL600 but the Infiniti makes me realize I'd be nuts to do it.

Finally, a car with not one ounce of problems or issues, just a comparatively inexpensive, gorgeous, well running car. I thought it could never happen.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. The dealer and their service department. You would think you bought a $500,000 car. Their service puts any dealer I have ever dealt with to shame and I have had some great dealers.

Finally, I do not wish to talk you out of anything. If you want this gorgeous SL car, you may well have some issues. I am just not in the mood for that kind of experience these days.

All the best of luck and Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:51 PM

2006 SL 500
My 2006 SL 500 is now just over three months old and I have not had one single problem. Couple that experience with the beauty and power of this wonderful automobile and I feel like one of the most fortunate guys in the world. Congrats AStuart on your recent delivery - I hope your expereince is as positive as mine has been. Vik888 - go for it - you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by So Cal Sam
My 2006 SL 500 is now just over three months old and I have not had one single problem. Couple that experience with the beauty and power of this wonderful automobile and I feel like one of the most fortunate guys in the world. Congrats AStuart on your recent delivery - I hope your expereince is as positive as mine has been. Vik888 - go for it - you'll be glad you did.

Quality has taken a great leap forward, even from 2005.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 PM

2006 SL500
Mine, now 3 days old is 06 , I can't find a flaw in it.
Drove in some heavy rain today.
Drove awsome and felt so save, just was watching out for the other drivers.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:13 PM

2005 SL 500
Take a real good look in the trunk AStuart. Many including myself have had problems with trunk leaks. Mine was a drip and was taken care of, but I have heard that some people have had water running into the trunk causing rust. Even worse, some of the problems weren't fixed after 3 or 4 tries.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:39 AM

2006 SL500
Checked the trunk, so far so good...... NO Leaks
Thanks for suggesting I look.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:24 AM

2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
I'd worry if I were you. I have thought several times since selling my 2005 SL600 about buying another one.

That car was gorgeous and given the price and the hard top feature the car is unbeatable.

You can't imagine how many times I have thought about wondering into the dealer and just ordering one. I have tried to convince myself that all cars have these problems but guess what...they don't.

I have now owned my Infiniti M45 for almost 5 months and there has been absolutely not one single problem. It went in for the first service and that is all it got. I can not remember the last time I had nothing wrong with a car.

The interior finish while not as fancy as the SL is perfect and far better manufactured than any Mercedes Benz. It has every electronic gadget imaginable, far more than the SL and everything works perfectly. It has built in Bluetooth, your choice of SIRIUS or XM radio and the list goes on and on.

And all this for $58,000. I want to order another SL600 but the Infiniti makes me realize I'd be nuts to do it.

Finally, a car with not one ounce of problems or issues, just a comparatively inexpensive, gorgeous, well running car. I thought it could never happen.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. The dealer and their service department. You would think you bought a $500,000 car. Their service puts any dealer I have ever dealt with to shame and I have had some great dealers.

Finally, I do not wish to talk you out of anything. If you want this gorgeous SL car, you may well have some issues. I am just not in the mood for that kind of experience these days.

First of all, it's not fair to compare the reliability of a japanese car and a german car.

Second of all, if I remember correctly, your problems were more with MB and your dealer than with the car. You had a coil pack or fuel pump ( I think) problem and it was fixed pretty easily. I can understand that you were bumbed about the door panels being shipped damaged, but that's not the cars fault.

I think you got a real bug up yor a$$ about that car, and you let it ruin your experience. I would recommend you try another one and just enjoy it.

Last edited by PA55AMG; 01-01-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:12 PM

2006 SL 500
I'm glad you brought that to AStuarts attention Chris because as a reader of this forum that is one of the first things I checked when the first rain storm hit but fortunately I found no leaks and I'm glad AStuart didn't either.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On what basis are you making this statement? I mean, its still the R230 SL, from the same factory, built with the same materials and the same workers. How has quality changed between 2006 and 2003-2004? I'm in the market for a 2006, which is why I'm asking.

Originally Posted by Kar don
Quality has taken a great leap forward, even from 2005.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have followed the progress of your SL600. It was a very sad story and I was sorry to see you give up that car, BUT, I like your replacement I doubt you'll be pulling upto another one anytime soon. Even in SoCal where exotics are all over, I've only seen one or two Aston's in the past few months.

I am planning on seeing what people are reporting about the build quality. As far as I know, the 2006 R230 is the same car from the same factory, same materials, same workers. Someone posted that the quality has changed, but I don't know what thats based on.

I do like the SL very much. My family has always bought MBs, but our last purchase was in 1989. We keep our cars for 10 years or so, but I suppose if I do buy an SL, it'll be for 7yrs or however long the extended warranty is.

I am also concerned about the fact that scheduled maintenance is not covered anymore, and the fact that people that have problems go to their dealership which treats them like dirt when they show up with problems.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:12 PM

2005 SL 500
I believe he is saying there are a lot less problems with the most recent R230s compared to the earlier ones.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 PM

none
I dont think its any big secret that japanese cars have better quality than Mercedes. Comparing the M45 to an Sl is unfair, hands down the SL is the better car in looks and performance. I much rather have a drop dead gorgeous car over bluetooth and two extra doors

Finally, I do not wish to talk you out of anything. I

f you want this gorgeous SL car, you may well have some issues. I am just not in the mood for that kind of experience these days.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
I dont think its any big secret that japanese cars have better quality than Mercedes. Comparing the M45 to an Sl is unfair, hands down the SL is the better car in looks and performance. I much rather have a drop dead gorgeous car over bluetooth and two extra doors
You know, I can't argue with what you are saying.

I just think at this point in my life and having owned so many Mercedes now for over 20 years, the beauty and performance seems to be no longer worth the aggravation.

I remember very clearly the older Mercedes. They were built like tanks, had great performance and never had problems. Owning one was easy.

Oddly enough a car really does only get you from one point to another.

I can't believe I actually said that.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-04-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LovinSL600, for some people, the car is one point..