SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Reus Audio System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
Reus Audio System

Question to all SL owners... anyone put in a Reus Audio upgrade on their SL? I got a SL 500. Went to the L.A. auto show this last weekend. they had a booth there in Kentia Hall with an SL showing the upgrade... AMAZING SOUND. Just want to know how much you all paid for that upgrade? What's the market price for audio upgrade anyway? I know they are supposed to be top notch. Their client list includes many celeberties and SL's like a Yugo on their list (I saw the list and the cheapest car on there is an M3, all the rest start at Porsche and Ferrari and Lambo's) So, just want to know if $3000 installed is too much... Please advise! Thanks!

Last edited by erichen; 01-11-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I saw them there too. It did sound pretty good although that hall was so noisy with every booth cranking out horrible music, that I don't think its the best environment to show off the system.

I wonder what exactly you get for $3k installed. Any idea if it voids the warranty on the audio system?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:29 PM
ON PROBATION

Reus' stuff is the shiznit. Legendary. The number of accolades just on this site stacks a mile high....
I'll be having him do my next cars....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 PM

He told me that his installations will not void any warranties from MB. In fact, he does these as upgrades for the dealers, but at a much higher price. Around 4-5k. The 3k rate is "show special." I just want to know if that's the right price for this system... don't want to get ripped... even if it is really good. and I know, it's the "****z"
Old 01-10-2006, 11:15 PM

2006 SL 500
I saw the booth at the show as well and was vey impressed with the sound - we sat in the car and put the top back on to sheild us from the "bad vibrations" that inundated Kentia Hall. There is a hidden switch you hit on the drivers side of the COMAND unit to tune the sound for top up - top down. I've read - I think on this board that the normal SL 500 install is $3500 - he told me $2850 but I didn't really get into the price too deep with him so I might be mistaken. He said they would take out the system when your lease is up or you sell the car and they would reinstall it for a labor charge only in your new car - i.e. you only pay for the equipment once was the pitch. I'm not enough of an audiophile to spend that kind of dough but it did sound good.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 PM

2006 SL 500
Wanted tp clarify something from my last post - $2850 was the auto show special price.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:10 AM

Thanks So Cal Sam. That was pretty much my experience. With taxes the total came out to be around 3200. Ouch! Where did you get the install price of $3500? was it from this forum? If so, can you tell me where? I like to read up more on their system. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM
ON PROBATION

Do a thread search as there have been fairly long discussions, numbers, and pics of installs posted...I think one not more than 3 weeks ago or so.....
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks Clay J, did the thread search and found lots of info. I'll be getting mine before 2/15. They are backed up in their installation process... Too many Lambo's and Ferrari's to deal with!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:03 AM

2006 SL 500
Good luck erichen...let us know how the installation process goes and what the sound is like in your car.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:20 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by erichen
Thanks Clay J, did the thread search and found lots of info. I'll be getting mine before 2/15. They are backed up in their installation process... Too many Lambo's and Ferrari's to deal with!
You're welcome
(and the good guys are always backed up with customers! )
Old 01-13-2006, 03:06 AM

Well, guess what, got the audio system installed today. They had an opening available (because they are doing the show at the L.A. convention center this week) and he called me to see if I will bring the car in to get it done... It's done! WOW... all I got to say is that the music filled up the car where as the old Bose stock system sounded like they were coming from the doors... This one is all around you, in front of you, under you, behind you... amazing! He made me promise not to dispense any details.... proprietary stuff But, suffice to say, the set up is quite ingenius utilizing mostly existing space with some modifications mostly not visible to the naked eye. They are pushing to do more SL's.... his goal is 2000... Get in line guys! I got to get me more CD's... Wonder if I can get an MP3 player hooked up now that the sound is so much better...
Reus is awsome. They are constantly improving on their existing systems. He will upgrade the system in a month when they get the newer versions of the "equipment" and then he will replace some of the speakers later in the year too. 3200 bucks well spent. Free upgrades! Sorry I can't post any pictures. Reus would not allow that.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
ON PROBATION

I've never heard anyone complain......

Just be sure to pay more attention to the road and other traffic than to the new tunes now...and keep it safe!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by erichen
WOW... all I got to say is that the music filled up the car where as the old Bose stock system sounded like they were coming from the doors...
And here I thought that the Bose in the '04 was supposed to be pretty good compared to the abysmal Harman-Kardon in the '05.

Any suggestions on how to get this done on the East Coast?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:06 PM

'08 E63 - P 30, 66GT 350 (sold)
I to was at the show last weekend. I was very impressed but since I'm still on the fence and don't own an SL wasn't sure how it compared to stock. Then I sat in an SL upstairs at the MBZ area. Big difference!

The one thing I'll say...I'm still on the fence with regards to a new SL. Used have their gremlins, the 2006 that Reus had, well he put the top up, sounded great but then he could not get it back down. He fumbled with controls, ignition, trunk, everything he could think of for 1/2 hour. Appeared to be broken. It was an SL500, I'd hate to buy a 55 and have problems but at least it's new, it's got a longer warranty. Sorry to ramble but my old beater 300e Coupe is reliable as all get out and when something goes wrong, it's cheap. Just concerned with spending big dough (at least to me) and be frustrated with glitches...

Anyway, when I do finally step up, Reus is the way to go. What's another ~$3K on top of the purchase price of an 550/55?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM

one concern is, if you get the reus installed and need warranty work, then what do you do? since the electronics have been modified and are such an integral part of the car.. (the 230 is basically a computer on wheels) wouldn't this potentially put you at risk of having the dealer void most all of the entire warranty when bringing it in for service?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:52 AM

Wow, never had more than one reply per day before. Well, let's see. Today, I drove around and tried out the knob to control the level of Bass output. For regular radio (I don't have XM), gotta turn off most of the bass. For a good CD with good instrumentals (classical or modern instrumentalos like Vanessa Mae or Yanni), great vocals (Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, Whitney Houston before the drugs...), Hip Hop (Eminem, JayZ...etc)... the reus system is awsome. I had a hard time with my back view mirror because it was vibrating so much! He had a couple tracks that really move you from the CD he palyed at the show. He burned me a copy.
Now, to answer some of your questions.
-Straw Jack, Reus will fly a tech out there to put it in. Have no idea what that costs. Their installation is booked out to August due to the huge workload they have. I got mine done so fast because I live like 15 min from their shop. But you can inquire with Rick Reus regarding East Coast Installation. Maybe they can do yours along with someone close to you around the same time. www.reusaudio.com has the contact info.
-Gremlin, the top on the SL's are probably the best hard tops out there for convertibles. But, I agree, they are complicated and can goof up. I am not sure why Reus was having a problem with the demo car. I was there Sunday afternoon around 2-3pm... no problems then. Possibly because they were opening abd closing so much during the show. I dont' think any owner will open and close their tops more than 3 times per day. Reus probably was doing 50 demo's per day at least. And this weekend will be even busier. Hope that top holds up. I bought the 7 year ext. warranty. I will worry about that top after the warranty is up. But for now, I will enjoy the best darn hardtop convertible out there.
- Seattle Car Freak, Reus does these same installations through dealers. It will not void any of the manufacturer's warranty on the COMMAND. That's what he said anyway. If you have a lease, theywill pull the system out and return it to stock for you. They will trade out that system for a new one for your next car and charge you only labor. I think of this as an upgrade, it's not some joe schmoe doing your system and messing things up. they are in this to do 2000 SL's... they will not do it if it voids warranties. Their craftsmen are well trained in MB installations because that's what they do all day long. I had the same concerns as you... they gonna screw up my baby...
-But when I saw the Ferrari's and Porsche's and Lamborghini's in his shop... I figure, if they cab trust him... what the heck have I got to lose!
So, I went for it and am not regreting it! Hope that helps. I'll update as I get upgraded! Now just have to save up for the RennTech upgrade! 25K's! yikes!