SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Took the plunge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320wz
i thought the Gallardo would be more reliable than both the F430 and Vantage because Audi was going to put the Gallardo engine into their new S8, and I got this notion that the S8 was somewhat a reliable high performance car
Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by mick1
i thought the Gallardo would be more reliable than both the F430 and Vantage because Audi was going to put the Gallardo engine into their new S8, and I got this notion that the S8 was somewhat a reliable high performance car
The engines are fine, it is the clutch which is part of the F1 transmsion. Very touchy, especially in stop and go. The Gallardo is also less comfortable and smaller than the Vanquish S.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:34 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
The 430 is the only car at the moment that really has no depreciation curve. That said, it is still over sticker unless you know someone. Not that money is everything, but it would be nice to buy a 200k car just once and when it comes time to sell maybe lose 15k instead of 75-100. I am told my Continental GT convert will come in this summer but I am a little put off by the soft top. I most likely will suck it up anyway but you would think anything coming out now in this range(aston, bentley etc.) would have a hardtop. Its not like weight is a factor. If only the SL65 had its own unique look it would be my ultimate car.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:03 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Since I never had one I thought it would be fun to get into Porsche and 0-60 in 3.4 sounded like a good time.
One of my problems with the 996/7s has been road noise. Over the years, the 911's tires have gotten bigger and there has been no more soundproofing added. On some surfaces, it's really bad. I've heard that they made the TT quieter. I'm not sure how, or by how much, but I think that would be a good thing for me.

I understand why Porsche doesn't want to add more weight, and I'm not saying that the tradeoff they made is wrong in any absolute sense, it's just not right for me (at my advanced age).

Jim
Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Whoa baby! What a sweet car! I cannot WAIT for the pictures!

You must share asap.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:01 AM

SLK 230
What does it look like?

Can anyone tell me where pics of the exterior and interior are for the TT as i must have missed them. I would like to see why SL is so impressed with the interior. Also any idea of what price it is going to be? SL55 money? or AM Vanquish money?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
I just read an article with pictures of the new 997 TT in this month's Automobile Magazine. Car looks great but I can tell you that you will pay a heavy premium for this car. Plus no keyless go, parktronic, distronic, etc. I just purchased a 2005 SL600 Sport and added the Renntech ECU upgrade and the car is a rocket. I'll bet it will go head to head with the new TT at least in a straight line plus it is a hardtop convertable. It is very quiet to drive and comfortable. Why the change to Porsche? Much more of a rough ride? Are you not happy with you SL600? I'm new to the forum and assume you have one based on your screen name.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Juice it
The 430 is the only car at the moment that really has no depreciation curve. That said, it is still over sticker unless you know someone. Not that money is everything, but it would be nice to buy a 200k car just once and when it comes time to sell maybe lose 15k instead of 75-100. I am told my Continental GT convert will come in this summer but I am a little put off by the soft top. I most likely will suck it up anyway but you would think anything coming out now in this range(aston, bentley etc.) would have a hardtop. Its not like weight is a factor. If only the SL65 had its own unique look it would be my ultimate car.
The issue of course is that if you are in the market for a 200k car, a discount of just 15k to buy one which is pre-used and not absolutely to your spec is of no interest. You make much more than than in a week anyway, so why even think about it? The only reason to buy a pre-owned car is because it is immediately available and there may be a long wait for a new one. That's why Ferrari residuals, for the V8s anyway, hold their value because supply is restricted.

Unlike over at Volkwagen, sorry, Bentley, where they have lots of spare capacity over on the Phaeton line and will churn out the Bentley in quantities which their buyers will come to regret. If you are a car manufacturer, you over supply your market at the peril of acquiring a reputation of lousy residuals.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by NeilC123
Can anyone tell me where pics of the exterior and interior are for the TT as i must have missed them. I would like to see why SL is so impressed with the interior. Also any idea of what price it is going to be? SL55 money? or AM Vanquish money?

Thanks.
Neil - take a look at www.porsche.com, there's a nice package on the new car. The exterior is basically a Carrera S with new front and back ends (easily attached to the 997S bodyshell). The interior is standard 997 though it's likely the TT will come with more leather as standard. Looks too much like a Cayenne to me. The car is right on the SL55 money.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by france2112
I just read an article with pictures of the new 997 TT in this month's Automobile Magazine. Car looks great but I can tell you that you will pay a heavy premium for this car. Plus no keyless go, parktronic, distronic, etc. I just purchased a 2005 SL600 Sport and added the Renntech ECU upgrade and the car is a rocket. I'll bet it will go head to head with the new TT at least in a straight line plus it is a hardtop convertable. It is very quiet to drive and comfortable. Why the change to Porsche? Much more of a rough ride? Are you not happy with you SL600? I'm new to the forum and assume you have one based on your screen name.
The 997TT here (UK) costs the same as an SL55, never mind an SL600 with modifications or an SL65. It's nearly half a ton lighter than any of them and does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. I fully expect it will outperform them all too, especially on cornering. My SL55 already feels slow against my 996TT. True, the 997TTdoesn't have keyless go, there is a convertible coming and you can have parking sensors on it if you want. It's also the case the 997TT will be noisier and less comfortable but it is a sports car, unlike the SL which is luxurious GT. Different cars.

Lovin' used to have an SL600...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by NeilC123

Thanks.
exterior:

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/f6_...18&twidth=1024

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/f6_...17&twidth=1024

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/f6_...32&twidth=1024

interior:

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/f6_...28&twidth=1024

"The basic Euro price for the 911 Turbo is 115,000 Euros. In Germany it is available for 133,603 Euros including value added tax and country-specific requirements. In the USA the 911 Turbo is priced at 122,900 Dollars (not including taxes), and will be available as from July 8, 2006."
-- http://www.theautochannel.com
Old 02-19-2006, 12:10 PM

SLK 230
Just my view?

Okay, the exterior looks ok - but then so do most 911s but the interior - am i missing something - it's ok - but hardly looks amazing or innovative? Sure looks clean and simple - but have i missed the wow factor?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
No not just your view. The 997TT is "just" a 997 and therefore has pretty much the same interior as any other 997 which is to say it shares many of the parts from a Boxster and Cayenne.

Porsche offer you 4 ways to accent the interior beyond the basic leather upgrades - light wood, dark wood, carbon fibre and aluminium look (aka spray paint) and some parts can be in the car's exterior colour.

All well and good, but I do not like any of the steering wheels and I hate the titanium coloured centre console which you cannot get away from. All in all, the 997 interior is not to me the quantum leap forwards from the 996 it is said to be. But then I always thought the SL55 interior was fine, and still do.

I'll be interested to see what Lovin' chooses... I'll certainly explore what their customisation program can do to sort out the interior.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blueSL
No not just your view. The 997TT is "just" a 997 and therefore has pretty much the same interior as any other 997 which is to say it shares many of the parts from a Boxster and Cayenne.

Porsche offer you 4 ways to accent the interior beyond the basic leather upgrades - light wood, dark wood, carbon fibre and aluminium look (aka spray paint) and some parts can be in the car's exterior colour.

All well and good, but I do not like any of the steering wheels and I hate the titanium coloured centre console which you cannot get away from. All in all, the 997 interior is not to me the quantum leap forwards from the 996 it is said to be. But then I always thought the SL55 interior was fine, and still do.

I'll be interested to see what Lovin' chooses... I'll certainly explore what their customisation program can do to sort out the interior.
I agree. I think the SL does have a much nicer interior. The point I twas making is I think the interior has been improved enough so that the interior is acceptable.

My wife has a 2005 M3 and while that interior is not as fancy as the SL it certainly is nice. I was considering the Porsche in the same matter.

I also agree with the center console. I am going to look at the customization program and we will see.

I just think, given the improvemets to the interior and exterior, whether huge or not, overall with the performance will make the car a fun car to have.

I would love to hear some comments on the ride quality. I know it isn't as smooth as the SL but what is it comparable to?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The early reports I have read is that the engineers have done an extraordinary job with the handling/ride comfort compromise and while it will not be anywhere close to the ride comfort of, say, an SL600, it will offer much sharper handling and not the muted responses we're used to on the SL.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blueSL
The early reports I have read is that the engineers have done an extraordinary job with the handling/ride comfort compromise and while it will not be anywhere close to the ride comfort of, say, an SL600, it will offer much sharper handling and not the muted responses we're used to on the SL.
Thanks, I am glad to hear this.

Given my recent experience with the Vanquish S, I have become more keen on the performance issues and are looking for that. It appears I will get that with the 997 TT.

As for the ride comfort, I am perfectly happy with the Infiniti M45. As an every day comfortable car to drive it is perfectly fine.

What I will like about the Porsche is that I will be able to take it wherever and whenever I want and still get the performance. This is something I was not able to do with the Vanquish S given the nature of the car.

Do you think I am making the right choice of the cabrio and not the coupe? I was going to also order a hardtop for the rainy winters.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I can see that the Infiniti is a perfectly fine every day car.

As regards the coupe/convertible question, I personally could not do without the classic coupe styling - for me, it defines the Porsche 911 - and with the top chopped off, it looks odd to my eyes - almost like some sort of bath tub.

That's why I keep my SL55, it's the perfect car for continental dashes to favourite hotels in France and Italy in the summer sun. For my use, the 911 coupe with the electric sunroof is the better option for use at home.

Again, for the US, the higher performing automatic is the gearbox of choice but I'm still inclined to go manual...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone know what the best Porsche forum is?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 PM
ON PROBATION

I'm not a fan of the cabrio...

If you want the fun in the sun, top-down experience in good weather, however - and you're willing to do the hardtop thing in the winter/rain - go for it.

A sunroof does not a convertible make....
Old 02-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've heard a lot about 6speedonline I believe.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
What is a Porsche TT? Is it a 911 that is turbo charged?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:11 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
What is a Porsche TT? Is it a 911 that is turbo charged?
911 twin turbo is what its called right?

i wanta be lovin when i grow up
Old 02-20-2006, 06:59 AM

http://www.rennteam.com and for you http://www.rennteam.com/postlist.php...Board=997turbo. Look especially after the signature RC who is a Rennteam Editor, he has connections directly to Porsche AG and is a good source regarding valid information. He's a bit disapointed right now because he wanted over 500 hp on the 997TT, but I think he'll be satisfied when he gets his.

Regarding the convertible; I think it'll be awesome but I think you must wait a bit longer for that one. The coupé will come this summer, let's hope for the cab only a few months later. But it can take as long as a year before we see it.

You might also be interested to hear the engine sound on your upcoming TT. Interesting sound from this camo'ed 997TT this winter:
http://www.rennteam.com/upload-int/tt1.mp4
http://www.rennteam.com/upload-int/tt2.mp4

I think you know that you're ordering a true sports car that is not comparable with the SL ride. The ride conform will be direct and a bit hard as you want a sports car to be. That means you can work up a scaring cornering speed and get away with it. Be sure you test that first when not on a public road so you don't get any nasty surprises. :-)

Good luck with your Porsche. I'm 100% sure it will thrill you with excitement!!!

- Per
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 AM

2005 SL500, 2002 ML500

I had used the RennTech.Org forum when I still had my 996.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php
Old 02-20-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Well, I took the plunge and put myself on the list for the new Porsche TT.
Cool move, Lovin!
I've owned 3 Porsches over the years. Superb machines and they certainly make a distinctive statement whether parked or on the highway, especially the turbos.
Congratulations!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Took the plunge...