SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Navigation Quality & Easy-Exit Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation Quality & Easy-Exit Questions

Hi,

This is my first post here. My wife wants an SL550, and a couple topics have come up; wondering if someone can help.

1)
The "Easy-Exit" feature for the SL's seems to only control steering wheel, not steering wheel and seats, like some other MB models do. Can someone confirm this? The wife is pretty short, so the seat going back for exit would be a good thing for her. Since there are 3 memories on this car, maybe if the seat doesn't go back for exit, she could set the 3rd position to "wheel up & seat back". Does that sound workable from your experience?

2)
There are posts in the mbworld forum about the nav system being kind of lame compared to some other car manufacturers. Specifically, not taking people to the house number on the destination street, and choosing bad routes. Can anyone weigh in on the new 2007 nav systems in the SL's? Are they better than some others in MB, is it always the same, is it as bad as people say, etc?

Thanks so much in advance for the input.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Easy Exit Feature will move the seat back depending upon how close the seat is to the steering wheel. (At least it does in my 06 SL600).

The navigation system works fine for me, a lot better than the non dvd based systems.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E450 4Matic
Originally Posted by wcohoe
Hi,

This is my first post here. My wife wants an SL550, and a couple topics have come up; wondering if someone can help.

1)
The "Easy-Exit" feature for the SL's seems to only control steering wheel, not steering wheel and seats, like some other MB models do. Can someone confirm this? The wife is pretty short, so the seat going back for exit would be a good thing for her. Since there are 3 memories on this car, maybe if the seat doesn't go back for exit, she could set the 3rd position to "wheel up & seat back". Does that sound workable from your experience?

2)
There are posts in the mbworld forum about the nav system being kind of lame compared to some other car manufacturers. Specifically, not taking people to the house number on the destination street, and choosing bad routes. Can anyone weigh in on the new 2007 nav systems in the SL's? Are they better than some others in MB, is it always the same, is it as bad as people say, etc?

Thanks so much in advance for the input.

1) You are correct. The "Easy-Exit" feature for my 2007 SL550 controls only the steering wheel, not steering wheel and seats. Your workaround should do the trick. You will have to hold the button until everything is done moving, tho.

2) I never had any complaints about the NAV system in my 07, or 05 SLs. It just works as it should, without issue.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
I'm pretty sure you can have it so that both the steering and seat move back for an easy exit...least that is do able on my 05 SL with a change in the setting using the menu from the steering controls
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 PM

I talked to a dealer who said that MB has dropped the seat adjust from the 07 model. He was pretty surprised about it. He double checked an sl550 on the lot.
So, that's a bummer.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
well as you said in your first post, you could always make the steering going all the way up and the seat all the way back as your setting for person 3 and just hold it down when you need to get out of the car
Old 05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Almost a Member!

2009 SL 550
I took my car to the dealer thinking that it was something wrong, they told me MB stared removing the seat feature in late 2006 models, My E350 2006 still has it and I sure miss it in the SL. The NAV in my 2 cars works fine for me