SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

A Couple more pics:
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-slamg2-1.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-slamg3-1.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-slamg1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by cy0811
I was born in the West End of LA (90210) and went to some college in England
Oxford? Cambridge? London School of Econ?

I'm looking at doing a semester at one of the three. Let me know if you know anything.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Skyler360Spider
A Couple more pics:
Whats with the rent-a-crowd ?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
benz-modz:
I'm beginning to understand your way of looking at things at to be honest I kind of like it.

stl coupe:
It was Cambridge...and all I can say is its cold as hell, but well worth it. My father lives there most of the year so it was a little easier for me having family around and all.

355spyder:
awesome you had such luck with that beauty....and its nice to know the 430 is doing OK service wise....

Skyler:
Whatever the hell you're doing...keep at it. Fu*king A man!

Last edited by CY; 06-06-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Whats with the rent-a-crowd ?
Did those chicks come with the car as a special package?

Anyway,awesome rides you've got there...Wish i can drive one of them someday in the future
Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
benz-modz:
I'm beginning to understand your way of looking at things at to be honest I kind of like it.
If only Democritus were still alive - that would be one big night out.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by k3vkoh
Did those chicks come with the car as a special package?

Anyway,awesome rides you've got there...Wish i can drive one of them someday in the future
I hope the leather is waterproof ! I hear what acceleration does to the libido.

Recently I was trying to get into a 1980's TestaRossa. I find that it was like trying to get into a wet wetsuit. Nice to see that they have the head-room now and a place to put your legs.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:50 PM

Talking

Skyler:
Whatever the hell you're doing...keep at it. Fu*king A man!
Hey CY,

I grew up in LA and business and Technology brought me to OC...Work hard and Play harder is the only way to be. Some people dont want to put in the years it takes to get a nice SL on your own...and then work up to the exotics. But life is fun when you hear and feel a race bred F1 V8 at your back at 8000 rpm and you tap the paddles for the upshift...its addicting. Driving with the top down and a beautiful woman by your side is bound to make some people jealous...but revel in the satisfaction that you work hard and you gotta play harder. Best of luck, Skyler
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 AM

Am I the only one that never has any desire to own a ferrari or a lambo? I appreciate the cars, use to dream about them as a kid, but when the reality comes to actually buying one, and being able to, I really don't have any desire to own the marque. If I did, may an older more collectible 60s or 70s ferrari.. but any current one... I honestly don't want to deal with what comes along with the territory. (other people mostly) I suppose that's why I stick with porsche for my sports car entertainment.. it's common enough for people to leave me alone and not think much.. and yes I grew up in LA too.. but I kinda outgrew the want to own any exotic cars really after being around them.. although the new f430 is one hot piece of *** I must admit..

it seems like when one owns a car of this marque, everyone talks... and i mean everyone.. good and bad... and yes it shouldn't matter what people think.. the cars just draw way toooo much of the wrong attention from the wrong type of people to make it worthwhile to drive one around...

but maybe if I lived out in the country where nobody was around, for weekend drives around the twisties it would be different.. dunno.. just no desire or want for such exotics.. am i alone?

Originally Posted by Skyler360Spider
Hey CY,

I grew up in LA and business and Technology brought me to OC...Work hard and Play harder is the only way to be. Some people dont want to put in the years it takes to get a nice SL on your own...and then work up to the exotics. But life is fun when you hear and feel a race bred F1 V8 at your back at 8000 rpm and you tap the paddles for the upshift...its addicting. Driving with the top down and a beautiful woman by your side is bound to make some people jealous...but revel in the satisfaction that you work hard and you gotta play harder. Best of luck, Skyler

Last edited by seattlecarfreak; 06-07-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 AM

Loooove that 750iL, Seattle. My dad had one for a few years. Great car, but ours was a bit of a maintainance nightmare.

Cy: That's awesome. Does your dad teach at Cambridge? What did you go into? You weren't in the same division as Sacha Baron Cohen were you? :-D
Old 06-08-2006, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Well obviously I can answer my own question, but I feel like ranting

Its 2:30 am out on a main stretch right out front of some LA clubs...A lady friend and I are in the Brilliant Silver AMG package 2005 SL with 5 spoke staggered Foose 20's and SL55 rear lights (to help with the mental image) Top Down....its 70 degress outside. We pass by an older Jeep wrangler filled with 5 or so 20 something year old guys, all drunk and sh*t. One calls out "F a g g o t" really fast and not too loud. Now my car gets praise all the time from younger girls to older ones, as well as guys ...blah blah blah.. Not that the SL is rare here in LA...its just that mine is pretty clean and gets some attention...not that I always want it.

So back to the story...I decide I am going ask the guy who yelled at me a couple questions...so I speed up to them and basically call him and 4 guys out...they are quiet...one guy says "Dude your SL is sick....my buddy's just jealous"...I say "Your buddy needs to grow up"...story over. Now without sounding shallow, let me say that I am a big guy...for scenario purposes, I'm 25 years old, 6'2, 200lbs and work out/trsin jujitsu 5 days a week....so I don't know if they were apologetic because I might fight one of them but still really just thinking SL/mercedes owners are snobs. What pisses me off is that if I was in a camaro conv. they probably wouldn't have said anything...You work hard for something that you like and sometimes others just try and tear you down.

It just really got to me for some reason ....I mean I understand people drink and act blatantly rude, and most times I realize that I have been blessed and cannot loose sight of my personal goals by causing further trouble...In other words, the mature man ignores those kind of petty instigators and focuses on being strong willed and not moved emotionally by petty insults.

By the way, the girl I was with is a beautiful 21 year old Polish aspiring model from New York who liked that I called them out...thing is, if I was alone I probably wouldn't have cared as much.

Before I get some negative feedback for praising myself etc: The point of my post is to explain that I am disappointed in myself for not ignoring the idiot and want to know what you guys would have done or do...?

cy
While there are no excuses for their behavior, if you are 25 and driving around in an SL you are just going to have to realize some people will be jealous and act accordingly.

No surprises here.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
Am I the only one that never has any desire to own a ferrari or a lambo?
... am i alone?
You are not alone. Having owned a 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S, I can assure you the BS that goes along with this type of car is just not worth it.

Deleted - see new thread

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 06-08-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
You are not alone. Having owned a 2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S, I can assure you the BS that goes along with this type of car is just not worth it.

I am into a new hobby. See attached picture. Having this retrofitted and going on a motion platform in my house.

More fun and incredibly exciting for me.

And...yes, it is a real 767 flight deck. The 100th built by Boeing. I am having it converted to a 777.

The first picture is what is looks like now. The second is what it will look like.
If that is what you call a gaming console then I dont blame you for not wanting a car that only the Japanese and Italians can stretch their arms in.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I agree, don't let these haters get to you, even though you sometimes feel you want to kill them its better to just stay calm and no go to their level.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

03 SL 500 Launch Edition, 98 ML 320 (sold), 01 S 500 (sold), 03 CLK 55 (sold)
benzmodz is just a hater, don't worry about him. Jealously and hate can never bring you down, you can only bring yourself down to their level. Just smile, wave, and be happy. Thats the way to go.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by ShervSL500AMG
benzmodz is just a hater, don't worry about him. Jealously and hate can never bring you down, you can only bring yourself down to their level. Just smile, wave, and be happy. Thats the way to go.
yeah but when coming to your car and it's spit on or keyed or something.. i don't think that philosophy works.. i can't count how many times my car has been spit on while parked.... 3 days ago was the most recent...
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 AM

Amen. At my university there are tons of nice cars (esp relative to the ages of their drives) yet I've still been keyed three times (from door to tail light). It's one thing for people to get pissed about someone having nice things, it's another for them to destroy the property.

Oh well, every time it goes in to the body shop, I take the opportunity to add a mod... Which perhaps makes them hate it more... which perhaps leads to more keying. Hmmm....
Old 06-21-2006, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
I have never had a problem, most people are very receptive to my car and seem to like it quite a bit. It makes me uncomfortable and I worry sometimes, but (knock on wood) nothing bad has happened to it.

-m
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I have never had a problem, most people are very receptive to my car and seem to like it quite a bit. It makes me uncomfortable and I worry sometimes, but (knock on wood) nothing bad has happened to it.

-m
Your SL is INSANE....I'll trade you and test it out ...I think it looks too mean to mess with.

Last edited by CY; 06-22-2006 at 09:21 AM.