SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:12 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?

Well obviously I can answer my own question, but I feel like ranting

Its 2:30 am out on a main stretch right out front of some LA clubs...A lady friend and I are in the Brilliant Silver AMG package 2005 SL with 5 spoke staggered Foose 20's and SL55 rear lights (to help with the mental image) Top Down....its 70 degress outside. We pass by an older Jeep wrangler filled with 5 or so 20 something year old guys, all drunk and sh*t. One calls out "F a g g o t" really fast and not too loud. Now my car gets praise all the time from younger girls to older ones, as well as guys ...blah blah blah.. Not that the SL is rare here in LA...its just that mine is pretty clean and gets some attention...not that I always want it.

So back to the story...I decide I am going ask the guy who yelled at me a couple questions...so I speed up to them and basically call him and 4 guys out...they are quiet...one guy says "Dude your SL is sick....my buddy's just jealous"...I say "Your buddy needs to grow up"...story over. Now without sounding shallow, let me say that I am a big guy...for scenario purposes, I'm 25 years old, 6'2, 200lbs and work out/trsin jujitsu 5 days a week....so I don't know if they were apologetic because I might fight one of them but still really just thinking SL/mercedes owners are snobs. What pisses me off is that if I was in a camaro conv. they probably wouldn't have said anything...You work hard for something that you like and sometimes others just try and tear you down.

It just really got to me for some reason ....I mean I understand people drink and act blatantly rude, and most times I realize that I have been blessed and cannot loose sight of my personal goals by causing further trouble...In other words, the mature man ignores those kind of petty instigators and focuses on being strong willed and not moved emotionally by petty insults.

By the way, the girl I was with is a beautiful 21 year old Polish aspiring model from New York who liked that I called them out...thing is, if I was alone I probably wouldn't have cared as much.

Before I get some negative feedback for praising myself etc: The point of my post is to explain that I am disappointed in myself for not ignoring the idiot and want to know what you guys would have done or do...?

cy

Last edited by CY; 06-04-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:19 AM

C32 AMG 2002
You should have ran them off the road....

.... damn hater-ade drinkers
Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Smile and wave. Living well is the best revenge.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 AM

we've already went through this topic before many times...

players always gonna play.. haters always gonna hate.. and who said you could never learn anything from rappers?

i'm so used to it by now i don't even care.. just shake my head and keep driving..

Originally Posted by cy0811
Well obviously I can answer my own question, but I feel like ranting

Its 2:30 am out on a main stretch right out front of some LA clubs...A lady friend and I are in the Brilliant Silver AMG package 2005 SL with 5 spoke staggered Foose 20's and SL55 rear lights (to help with the mental image) Top Down....its 70 degress outside. We pass by an older Jeep wrangler filled with 5 or so 20 something year old guys, all drunk and sh*t. One calls out "F a g g o t" really fast and not too loud. Now my car gets praise all the time from younger girls to older ones, as well as guys ...blah blah blah.. Not that the SL is rare here in LA...its just that mine is pretty clean and gets some attention...not that I always want it.

So back to the story...I decide I am going ask the guy who yelled at me a couple questions...so I speed up to them and basically call him and 4 guys out...they are quiet...one guy says "Dude your SL is sick....my buddy's just jealous"...I say "Your buddy needs to grow up"...story over. Now without sounding shallow, let me say that I am a big guy...for scenario purposes, I'm 25 years old, 6'2, 200lbs and work out/trsin jujitsu 5 days a week....so I don't know if they were apologetic because I might fight one of them but still really just thinking SL/mercedes owners are snobs. What pisses me off is that if I was in a camaro conv. they probably wouldn't have said anything...You work hard for something that you like and sometimes others just try and tear you down.

It just really got to me for some reason ....I mean I understand people drink and act blatantly rude, and most times I realize that I have been blessed and cannot loose sight of my personal goals by causing further trouble...In other words, the mature man ignores those kind of petty instigators and focuses on being strong willed and not moved emotionally by petty insults.

By the way, the girl I was with is a beautiful 21 year old Polish aspiring model from New York who liked that I called them out...thing is, if I was alone I probably wouldn't have cared as much.

Before I get some negative feedback for praising myself etc: The point of my post is to explain that I am disappointed in myself for not ignoring the idiot and want to know what you guys would have done or do...?

cy
Old 06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
SFoRZA: I wanted to, but it might ding my baby...and upset my female friend, who is still at my house by the way.

Velvet fog: My mother always used to tell me that and I agree it IS the best revenge...its just easier said then done.

Seattle: you're right, shaking your head is the universal sign for: "man what a dumbass"...You have owned your SL longer than me if I am correct; I have had very few issues, but really just am curious to how others react when with a lady, etc.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

03 SL 500 Launch Edition, 98 ML 320 (sold), 01 S 500 (sold), 03 CLK 55 (sold)
I am not going to lie, I'm 19 and I drive down the sunset strip looking for clubs on the weekends, and my girlfriend is also blonde, and when I drive around with the top down and people yell **** or stare, I have just learned to shake it off, be myself, and if anyone yells anything or cuts me off I let it go, smile, wave, say thank you, and believe me that pisses them off more than you getting out of your nice SL and lowering to their level and fighting and what not, which I have done in my dad's car.
Basically, enjoy life and as it was said before, haters will always hate, just keep your head up as 2Pac once said.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
SL 55 wanna-be driver with a model wanna-be. That it fits LA perfectly.

Everyone in LA wants to be something more than what they are .... what ever happened to being satisfied with what you have and knowing who you are ?

I lived in LA ....
Old 06-04-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Originally Posted by benzmodz
SL 55 wanna-be driver with a model wanna-be. That it fits LA perfectly.

Everyone in LA wants to be something more than what they are .... what ever happened to being satisfied with what you have and knowing who you are ?

I lived in LA ....
i can tell you lived in LA

Not trying to hate on you or anything but its not like this guy is struggling to make a living. He still drives a fairly new SL500 and has a beautiful girl in the car. Simple as that...

Now with that said...
this thread is worthless without pics of the polish wanna be model.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:41 PM

C32 AMG 2002
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209

Now with that said...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209
i can tell you lived in LA

Not trying to hate on you or anything but its not like this guy is struggling to make a living. He still drives a fairly new SL500 and has a beautiful girl in the car. Simple as that...

Now with that said...
I was probably the only person who ever walked down Rodeo Drive barefoot that wasn't put into a police car and driven to the other end of Wilshire. Perhaps the police didnt work around breakfast time.

The point of all this is ..... every person in the soup shop I frequented was a pin-up glamour. You would have to be a CPA or a stamp collector not to be able to find a hot woman in LA.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:35 PM

So back to the story...I decide I am going ask the guy who yelled at me a couple questions...so I speed up to them and basically call him and 4 guys out...they are quiet...one guy says "Dude your SL is sick....my buddy's just jealous"...I say "Your buddy needs to grow up"...story over.

cy

Kill them. Story over.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
benzmodz:

Do yourself a favor and don't post in my threads since your IQ level is obviously not up to par with the other Mercedes owners on this forum. The girl is hot and the SL has 5,000 miles on it and looks stunning. Just because you were living in LA at one point gives you no authority on my current social standards.

You sound like one of the jealous 20 something year olds who yell at others because of their own insecurities or lack of discretion.

Last edited by CY; 06-05-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ShervSL500AMG
when I drive around with the top down and people yell **** or stare, I have just learned to shake it off, be myself, and if anyone yells anything or cuts me off I let it go, smile, wave, say thank you, and believe me that pisses them off more than you getting out of your nice SL and lowering to their level and fighting and what not
Good strategy
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
benzmodz:

Do yourself a favor and don't post in my threads since your IQ level is obviously not up to par with the other Mercedes owners on this forum. The girl is hot and the SL has 5,000 miles on it and looks stunning. Just because you were living in LA at one point gives you no authority on my current social standards.

You sound like one of the jealous 20 something year olds who yell at others because of their own insecurities or lack of discretion.
Seriously, 90210 isnt just a postcode ..... it's the number of hot women in BH.

You sound like someone who moved to LA because your old town wasnt good enough. As least I know what I am about ..... don't need a ticker tape parade for owning a Mercedes.

Keep trying .... one of these days you might even start feeling confident.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 AM

06 Z06
Who cares. I got a few like that in my Ferrari. I don't have time in my life for the weak people that are jealous and can't be successful themsleves so they have to project their self misery on to me. And that's what it boils down to. They're only telling you what they think of themsleves. Blow it off and don't waste your positive nrg on them. They just want to drag you down to their level. Now if your Sl was pink then maybe.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:55 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
No need to get personal. This forum's supposed to be about cars not their owners so let's just stick to SL's?

Really pisses me off when threads turn into this.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Seriously, 90210 isnt just a postcode ..... it's the number of hot women in BH.

You sound like someone who moved to LA because your old town wasnt good enough. As least I know what I am about ..... don't need a ticker tape parade for owning a Mercedes.

Keep trying .... one of these days you might even start feeling confident.

I was born in the West End of LA (90210) and went to some college in England and then came back to live in the beach cities.

I don't want to exchange any more insults with you.
Also, I am more confident than you have concluded so it seems. Its hard to justify your ability to stereo-type one without knowing much about them and judging them based on your own experiences.

I'm not trying to feed my own ego, but I could post pics with people I interact with on a daily basis that would drop your jaw to the floor...meaning I don't try to live the typical LA dream bro...I do. Some people like it here and can cut it, others like it but just don't make that cut.

Again to the rest of the members, I am a semi-new R230 SL owner and have never had verbal insults yelled at me in my previous R129, XK8, Range Rover, Escalade or C5 vette...the new SL just has something about it I guess. I figured I'd share my experience, thats all.

Last edited by CY; 06-06-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by 355Spider
Who cares. I got a few like that in my Ferrari. I don't have time in my life for the weak people that are jealous and can't be successful themsleves so they have to project their self misery on to me. And that's what it boils down to. They're only telling you what they think of themsleves. Blow it off and don't waste your positive nrg on them. They just want to drag you down to their level. Now if your Sl was pink then maybe.
I love your 355 man! I was given the chance to drive one once and I almost fell in love...actually I did, but then remembered the servicing costs
Old 06-06-2006, 05:37 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Heard some real horror stories - are services that expensive for Ferraris?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Well 355Spider would know better then me.

I am most likely and hopefully a future Ferrari owner, so I have been dabbling a little with some Ferraichat.com research and a Ferrari out of warranty or even sometimes in warranty can get quite expensive. I've heard good things about the F430, but only time will tell how the long time service costs will work out on that beast.

Of course it really depends sometimes on how much you drive it. Sometimes it seems guys will luck out and put 60,000 miles on lets say a 550 with no real problems, while another fellow will have a nightmare issue on a used 360 that wasn't serviced regularly even with lower miles.

On the other hand a friend of mine drives his Gallardo everyday and has had no issues....it seems that after VW bought out Lamborghini things became a little more reliable....but I am a F-car lover first and foremost...

Last edited by CY; 06-06-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I was born in the West End of LA (90210) and went to some college in England and then came back to live in the beach cities.

I don't want to exchange any more insults with you.
Also, I am more confident than you have concluded so it seems. Its hard to justify your ability to stereo-type one without knowing much about them and judging them based on your own experiences.

I'm not trying to feed my own ego, but I could post pics with people I interact with on a daily basis that would drop your jaw to the floor...meaning I don't try to live the typical LA dream bro...I do. Some people like it here and can cut it, others like it but just don't make that cut.

Again to the rest of the members, I am a semi-new R230 SL owner and have never had verbal insults yelled at me in my previous R129, XK8, Range Rover, Escalade or C5 vette...the new SL just has something about it I guess. I figured I'd share my experience, thats all.
The only thing that makes my jaw drop is the size of the universe and the fact that BMW got 1500 horsepower from an engine block with 100,000 miles on it from a production saloon.

Seen this thread ?

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/150888-feeling-important-you-big-guy-around-town.html
Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I saw that already and its truly hard to comprehend. Hell, if we really understood everything on and off this planet it wouldnt be as fun..right?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 PM

06 Z06
Well 355Spider would know better then me.

I am most likely and hopefully a future Ferrari owner, so I have been dabbling a little with some Ferraichat.com research and a Ferrari out of warranty or even sometimes in warranty can get quite expensive. I've heard good things about the F430, but only time will tell how the long time service costs will work out on that beast.

Of course it really depends sometimes on how much you drive it. Sometimes it seems guys will luck out and put 60,000 miles on lets say a 550 with no real problems, while another fellow will have a nightmare issue on a used 360 that wasn't serviced regularly even with lower miles.

On the other hand a friend of mine drives his Gallardo everyday and has had no issues....it seems that after VW bought out Lamborghini things became a little more reliable....but I am a F-car lover first and foremost...
My 355 ran perfect. No breakdowns in 3.5 years. The routine maintenance can be expensive though. At 15K it's $1500. At 30K it's $5000. But seeing as how most Ferraris never see that kind of mileage it rarely comes up. The key is to drive the car. The more you drive it the more reliable it is. That's why you see those low mileage one's that breakdown. they sit too much. Same goes for boats. Don't run em and they breakdown like crazy. The 360s maintenance is less and the 430 is just like any normal car. Very low maintenance. So are the Lambos.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I saw that already and its truly hard to comprehend. Hell, if we really understood everything on and off this planet it wouldnt be as fun..right?
That's just it .... little things are so freaking small.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Talking

As both a newer model SL 500 and Ferrari 360 F1 Spider owner, I see a variety of responses to top down driving here in Newport Beach, CA...most people give a thumbs up and wave at the Ferrari with women paying special attention on a few occasions. The SL gets a lot of looks as well, but never any haters. Since a few people are asking for pictures on this thread that someone has called "worthless" here are some:
Attached Thumbnails Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-spider6.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-spider8.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-spider12.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-spider2.jpg   Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?-hooters-2006-056-2.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Whats up with people yelling negative comments at the SL late at night?