SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New SL550 coming soon: Price question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
New SL550 coming soon: Price question?

This is my first post with hopefully more to follow. I am getting two new MB's, possibly this week. A GL450 Premium Edition and an '07 SL550. I'm leasing the GL and buying the SL. I would love to get some comments on the following terms:

GL - 39 month lease, 12k miles, no money down, $1k/month. The discount is about $3500 or off sticker which is about $73.5k I think this is good since its a limited edition model they can probably get sticker for.

SL - Sticker is $105,855 which includes Premium Package 1 and AMG Sport package as well as frieght and guzler tax. Purchase price is $101,300, a $4,555 discount. I'm trading in an '04 Lexus LS430 ($37k) and an '02 911 Cab ($48k). Purchase price after trades is $16.3k plus sales tax.

My question: is this a good discount on an '07 SL550? (and the GL while I am asking?) I live in LI. NY. This dealer only has four SL550's in stock. Searching around, not many others are sitting on a large inventory.

I would be "very interested" in knowing how others have made out in the NY metro area before I sign. I am somewhat concerned about missing my 911, but I've driven the SL550 and its an awesome car, especially with the paddle shifters. This is my third Porsche, so I felt like I was ready for a change. I'm sure I will get use to not having the Porsche once I start driving the SL. I also lease a Cayenne S so I can still get some Porsche love when I need it!

Thanks in advance for your feedback, much appreciated and hope to report back with pictures soon...

Beartrap
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
I also have a 911 and an SL550. I can't imagine the SL550 taking the place of the 911. Two totally different type of cars.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 PM

'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
Thanks for the comments. It is what worries me the most! I love the 911 and fear I'll miss the handling and the size of the car, but I've never had an SL and feel its time for a change. My wife thinks I'll regret it, although she hates the 911 and loves the SL! (now she will get to drive it, so maybe I am making a mistake!) You can not really truly enjoy the thrill of driving a 911 on LI or in NYC anyway. I fondly remember renting a 996 C4 coupe when I was in Germany on buinsess several years ago and feeling disapointed once I got back home to the LIE! Driving at 80+ mph was never the same once you've done 150+ on the A1 from Munich to Garmish.

I would like to keep both, but don't have the space and building another exterior garage is not an option at this point. I'll give the SL a try for a while and see how fits. If it does not work out, I can always go back. Thanks for replying...
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 AM

I never drive my porsche anymore.. maybe it's because I live right in the middle of downtown in the city and with traffic as horrible as it is.. I never have a chance to even leave second gear... the interior and ride of the sl has spoiled me.. there are times I miss driving in the porsche.. but it usually fades.. maybe once a month or so i take it for a spin...

btw.. hey kirb.. remember me from rennlist? :> don't worry my engine hasn't exploded on the mbnz.. good choice :>

Originally Posted by beartrap
This is my first post with hopefully more to follow. I am getting two new MB's, possibly this week. A GL450 Premium Edition and an '07 SL550. I'm leasing the GL and buying the SL. I would love to get some comments on the following terms:

GL - 39 month lease, 12k miles, no money down, $1k/month. The discount is about $3500 or off sticker which is about $73.5k I think this is good since its a limited edition model they can probably get sticker for.

SL - Sticker is $105,855 which includes Premium Package 1 and AMG Sport package as well as frieght and guzler tax. Purchase price is $101,300, a $4,555 discount. I'm trading in an '04 Lexus LS430 ($37k) and an '02 911 Cab ($48k). Purchase price after trades is $16.3k plus sales tax.

My question: is this a good discount on an '07 SL550? (and the GL while I am asking?) I live in LI. NY. This dealer only has four SL550's in stock. Searching around, not many others are sitting on a large inventory.

I would be "very interested" in knowing how others have made out in the NY metro area before I sign. I am somewhat concerned about missing my 911, but I've driven the SL550 and its an awesome car, especially with the paddle shifters. This is my third Porsche, so I felt like I was ready for a change. I'm sure I will get use to not having the Porsche once I start driving the SL. I also lease a Cayenne S so I can still get some Porsche love when I need it!

Thanks in advance for your feedback, much appreciated and hope to report back with pictures soon...

Beartrap
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 PM

2006 SL500 iridium/charcoal keyless, bi-xenon, AMG
Originally Posted by beartrap

Beartrap
Yeah, that's a good discount on the 07. But, with the trade-ins, who knows?

MBZ dealers were giving me the run around on my trade in (04 audio cabrio). They offered 24-26k, but I ended up giving it to an audi dealer for 29k. They can give you 50k off a 550 if they are buying a bunch of your new cars at bargains.

You might also want to look into the 06's. I just got mine for 16k off MSRP. caveat: I'm leasing and they can make this up in money factor.

-jeremy