SL/R230: Removing Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Removing Wheel Weights

? how do they remove the balance weights from the rims on our cars. I see a black tape like material under the weights.

Also the black tape like material that is left over, how can that be removed?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by StephenK
? how do they remove the balance weights from the rims on our cars. I see a black tape like material under the weights.

Also the black tape like material that is left over, how can that be removed?
Decreaser and very careful cutting. I usually use a plastic knife with a dull edge. First I soften it up with the decreaser and then kinda pry the excess away with the plastic dull knife and then smooth out the rough edges with the other side of the knife.

If you want it perfect, it can be done but it takes a little time.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 E93 335i
They are just held in place by high quality double-sided tape. Try pulling or prying with something plastic to get the weights off. The tape residue can be removed with a great product I found called "Goo Gone". It's a citrus based liquid and works very well on any kind if adhesive, gum, etc. Soak a little on a rag and let it sit on the tape for a few minutes to soften it up. Then just continue to use a little elbow grease with more of the Goo Gone until the sticky stuff is all gone. You can get this stuff at a lot of retail stores like Home Depot, Container Store, etc.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by joec1101
They are just held in place by high quality double-sided tape. Try pulling or prying with something plastic to get the weights off. The tape residue can be removed with a great product I found called "Goo Gone". It's a citrus based liquid and works very well on any kind if adhesive, gum, etc. Soak a little on a rag and let it sit on the tape for a few minutes to soften it up. Then just continue to use a little elbow grease with more of the Goo Gone until the sticky stuff is all gone. You can get this stuff at a lot of retail stores like Home Depot, Container Store, etc.
Goo Gone is a great product and would work well but you must be careful. If it stays on too long I have seen it remove surfaces that I thought could not be ruined no matter what.

Learned the hard way.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I have given up on trying to make my wheels nice. Dealer replaced all 4 because the paint was pealing. Got me 4 new tires last month and noticed the clear coat is pealing around the edge on one wheel. I guess the tire shop not use enough grease to lube the wheel or it could be bad paint quality.

I never had these problems on my Yukon Denali.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
How does this sound to you guys?

EMAILS:

After the wheels are removed I would then take them to a man who is here almost daily that refinishes wheels of the trade in cars, he sands down the damaged part then paints or clears the area as needed. He does a nice job.

Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:19 AM
To: Stephen Kynio
Subject: RE: SL600

Mr Rhoden came by my office and said that he spoke to you last night and that I can assure you that we can repair these wheels for you on your next visit. I can have them cleaned and refinished at no charge. Just let me know when you want to do this. I'm on vacation the last week of July, fyi.
Lee

__________________________________________________ ______
MY OPINION:

i just find it hard to believe that they can be refinished in a way that will last and not have more problems afterwards. Guess I am negative about this. What do you guys think?

Last edited by StephenK; 07-11-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
EMAILS:

After the wheels are removed I would then take them to a man who is here almost daily that refinishes wheels of the trade in cars, he sands down the damaged part then paints or clears the area as needed. He does a nice job.

Mr Rhoden came by my office and said that he spoke to you last night and that I can assure you that we can repair these wheels for you on your next visit. I can have them cleaned and refinished at no charge. Just let me know when you want to do this. I'm on vacation the last week of July, fyi.
Lee

MY OPINION:

i just find it hard to believe that they can be refinished in a way that will last and not have more problems afterwards. Guess I am negative about this. What do you guys think?

I would feel pretty comfortable if they indeed fully strip the clear coat and refinish the aluminum wheel.
You would be surprised at what a good craftmans can do with a damaged wheel as long as it's nicks or light gouges(bent or heavy curb damage don't count).
After the wheel is "reconditioned" and the clear coat is sprayed on, I'm pretty sure you would be very pleased with the end result.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
IMO, that's something that should be reserved for a last resort right before buying new replacement wheels.

I think since the dealer has caused physical damage they have two options listed in order of preference.
1) Replace the wheels at their expense as they caused the damage.
2) Pay for the refinishing of the wheels.
Either way, they must pay for their mistake. Too many people just shrug it off and just complain about the dealer rather than taking action.

Last resort right before paying for new wheels on your own dime would be getting the clearcoats stripped and redone at your own cost.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
as far as the residual gum from the double sided tape...you can also use mineral oil on about any surface to remove sticky residue. It may take a little longer and more elbow grease than Goo Gone..but I doubt it would hurt the surface of the wheel.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
as far as the residual gum from the double sided tape...you can also use mineral oil on about any surface to remove sticky residue. It may take a little longer and more elbow grease than Goo Gone..but I doubt it would hurt the surface of the wheel.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EMAILS:

Lee

MY OPINION:

If they redo the wheel, they will be close but never really match. If they do, it is by accidient which can happen.

A reputable wheel refinisher will tell you this himself.