SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)

Have a new 2007 SL 550 Black/Black, AMG Package, Parktronic/Distronic, Keyless Go, Comfort Seats. Upgraded with Brabus wheels.

The operation of the distronic works well. However, the small "emblem of two cars" in the left console do not turn "red" when the distronic brakes on its own. Also, there is no warning sound after I push the enable button on the console as the manual describes. Anyone else notice this with their distronic system?

Last question....When parallel parking with the car in reverse, does the passenger rear view mirror automatically assist by turning downward toward the curb? My mirrors do not automatically turn down toward the curb (even though the passenger side mirror button on the console is depressed).

Thanks in advance for clarifying any of this.
Attached Thumbnails New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)-sl550-058.jpg   New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)-sl550-038.jpg   New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)-sl550-055.jpg   New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)-sl550-050.jpg   New 2007 SL 550 (Distronic Question)-sl550-037.jpg  

Old 07-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Almost a Member!

The emblem of the two cars doesnt' turn red in my car either. It just lights up when the radar detects vehicle in range. I think the sound is enabled when you start the engine and you actually turned it off when the red LED lights up. To set the auto passenger mirror in reverse follow these procedure.
1. Put selector in passenger side and press down until desired.
2. Press M(seating button) for a few second.
3. If it's prgrammed correctly, the mirror wont' move when u press buttons trying to move the passengerside mirror. press 1 or 2 or 3 to set teh mirror back in ur deside posision.
The instruction is in the manual, u mite want to try looking at it bcz the manual does a better job explaining than me.

Originally Posted by ldenise90
Have a new 2007 SL 550 Black/Black, AMG Package, Parktronic/Distronic, Keyless Go, Comfort Seats. Upgraded with Brabus wheels.

The operation of the distronic works well. However, the small "emblem of two cars" in the left console do not turn "red" when the distronic brakes on its own. Also, there is no warning sound after I push the enable button on the console as the manual describes. Anyone else notice this with their distronic system?

Last question....When parallel parking with the car in reverse, does the passenger rear view mirror automatically assist by turning downward toward the curb? My mirrors do not automatically turn down toward the curb (even though the passenger side mirror button on the console is depressed).

Thanks in advance for clarifying any of this.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
off topic, but nice car.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 PM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
in terms of your passenger side mirror going down to see the curb... you have to turn that function on in your menus using your steering wheel's scroll buttons. i leave that function off cuz the mirrors kind of point down too low IMO. i forget which subcategory it's in, but you'll find it in the manual or while you just scroll along. i think it's under "settings" not sure.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 PM

2006 SL55 Blk/Char Parktronic Keyless Go Xenon Lights Vent Seats; 2007 SL 550 (sold); 2001 CLK 430
Originally Posted by andytsai996
The emblem of the two cars doesnt' turn red in my car either. It just lights up when the radar detects vehicle in range. I think the sound is enabled when you start the engine and you actually turned it off when the red LED lights up. To set the auto passenger mirror in reverse follow these procedure.
1. Put selector in passenger side and press down until desired.
2. Press M(seating button) for a few second.
3. If it's prgrammed correctly, the mirror wont' move when u press buttons trying to move the passengerside mirror. press 1 or 2 or 3 to set teh mirror back in ur deside posision.
The instruction is in the manual, u mite want to try looking at it bcz the manual does a better job explaining than me.
Thanks andytsai,
Was wondering whether I should bring it to the service manager's attention but if yours does not turn red either....then the manual is just misleading.

Couldn't find the rear view mirror directions (turning toward the curb automatically) while trying to parallel park in the 2007 manual......I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your response.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vik888
off topic, but nice car.
Thanks for the compliment Vik. I just tried to dress up the ordinary black/black with the Brabus wheels.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by elbowyeish
in terms of your passenger side mirror going down to see the curb... you have to turn that function on in your menus using your steering wheel's scroll buttons. i leave that function off cuz the mirrors kind of point down too low IMO. i forget which subcategory it's in, but you'll find it in the manual or while you just scroll along. i think it's under "settings" not sure.
We've looked through our 2007 manual and there does not seem to be a mention of the "mirror settings" in the menus on the steering wheel scroll buttons.....maybe you just have it on your SL55.

elbowyeish, thanks so much for trying to help.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Magic Tilting Mirror

We've looked through our 2007 manual and there does not seem to be a mention of the "mirror settings" in the menus on the steering wheel scroll buttons.....maybe you just have it on your SL55.
On my '06 SL500 with the passenger mirror button selected, the passenger mirror tilts down soon after I shift into Reverse, and returns to its normal position soon after I shift out of Reverse. The first time I noticed the mirror in tilt mode I also noted that the mirror shifted horizontally too far to the right away from the car, so I used the normal adjustment buttons to move the mirror to a tilted position that aids when I'm in Reverse. After that initial adjustment of the tilt position, the mirror retained that tilt position in its memory. If I have the driver mirror button selected, the passenger mirror does not tilt when I shift into Reverse. On delivery of my car, the salesman did some initial programming of the settings, and I recall him asking if I wanted the tilt mirror function. However, like you, I cannot find it described anywhere in my owners operating manual.
So, I suggest you ask your salesman how it's done, and let us all know the secret to this magic.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sgooter
On my '06 SL500 with the passenger mirror button selected, the passenger mirror tilts down soon after I shift into Reverse, and returns to its normal position soon after I shift out of Reverse. The first time I noticed the mirror in tilt mode I also noted that the mirror shifted horizontally too far to the right away from the car, so I used the normal adjustment buttons to move the mirror to a tilted position that aids when I'm in Reverse. After that initial adjustment of the tilt position, the mirror retained that tilt position in its memory. If I have the driver mirror button selected, the passenger mirror does not tilt when I shift into Reverse. On
delivery of my car, the salesman did some initial programming of the settings, and I recall him asking if I wanted the tilt mirror function. However, like you, I cannot find it described anywhere in my owners operating manual.
So, I suggest you ask your salesman how it's done, and let us all know the secret to this magic.
Sgooter,
Thanks for the info about your 2006 SL500. I'm going to ask again at the dealership and post the answer. I was initially told that maybe the 2007 cars like mine with the parktronic/distronic bundle (premium II) will not have the tilt down exterior mirror feature. Seems odd that they would remove such a helpful feature for those of us who need it for parallel parking (smile).

All things aside, I sure am enjoying how the car handles.....I know you are enjoying yours too! Enjoy!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 PM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
I stopped using distronic a long time ago. If I am on an empty highway and I floor it the system beeps as if a car is close ahead. It almost sounds like my radar detector.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 AM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
On my '06 SL500 with the passenger mirror button selected, the passenger mirror tilts down soon after I shift into Reverse, and returns to its normal position soon after I shift out of Reverse. The first time I noticed the mirror in tilt mode I also noted that the mirror shifted horizontally too far to the right away from the car, so I used the normal adjustment buttons to move the mirror to a tilted position that aids when I'm in Reverse. After that initial adjustment of the tilt position, the mirror retained that tilt position in its memory. If I have the driver mirror button selected, the passenger mirror does not tilt when I shift into Reverse. On delivery of my car, the salesman did some initial programming of the settings, and I recall him asking if I wanted the tilt mirror function. However, like you, I cannot find it described anywhere in my owners operating manual.
I found the tilt mirror function in the settings section of functions on the steering wheel buttons of my 06 SL600 so it should be similar I would think. It's in the manual too, under the "Settings" section.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RadSteve
I found the tilt mirror function in the settings section of functions on the steering wheel buttons of my 06 SL600 so it should be similar I would think. It's in the manual too, under the "Settings" section.
RadSteve,
After everyone's input, I believe the new 2007 manuals for the the SL 550 with the AMG package are different. Because, on page 142 is the entire steering wheel functions "menu" and what each setting does. And, it ain't there.
I've gotta go to the dealership and just say....look does the mirror automatically go down to the curb in the SL 2007 or not?

Thank for looking in your 2006 SL600 manual ......I really appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 AM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
This morning I scrolled thru the "Settings" for my SL. In the "Convenience" sub-menu there is a setting called something like "mirror setting for parking," and the choice is to have it on or off. Mine is "on" and the mirror tilts down when the car is in Reverse gear with the passenger mirror button selected. No matter where I look in my owner's manual, this feature is not addressed. My salesman told me that from time-to-time M-B either includes or deletes this feature in various models, and sometimes this happens at the start of a model year as well as at anytime during the model year production. So, that's probably why it isn't addressed in our owner's manuals.

Check out your "Settings" and "Convenience" menus in your car; the "mirror setting for parking" feature may be there, but just hasn't been turned on.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 AM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
This morning I scrolled thru the "Settings" for my SL. In the "Convenience" sub-menu there is a setting called something like "mirror setting for parking," and the choice is to have it on or off. Mine is "on" and the mirror tilts down when the car is in Reverse gear with the passenger mirror button selected. No matter where I look in my owner's manual, this feature is not addressed. My salesman told me that from time-to-time M-B either includes or deletes this feature in various models, and sometimes this happens at the start of a model year as well as at anytime during the model year production. So, that's probably why it isn't addressed in our owner's manuals.

Check out your "Settings" and "Convenience" menus in your car; the "mirror setting for parking" feature may be there, but just hasn't been turned on.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that later on today.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 PM

Question

Sgooter, I scrolled through over the weekend and I do not have the "mirror setting for parking" in my convenience menu or any other menu. I did get one of the first 2007 SL 550s off the production line so your point about various models not getting certain features certainly applies to me.

I did not know this feature was not standard and could be taken away....do you know if they can program it in after the fact. I mean, if it is a computer that does these things can it be programed after production?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM

Question

Originally Posted by meegle
Thanks for the tip, I will try that later on today.
Meegle, I was wondering (since you also have one of the first 2007 SL 550s) does your convenience menu have the "mirror function" to assist with parking?

I have one of the first off the 2007 production line too and I do not have this feature.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
For what is's worth, the way my mirror is programmed on my E class is to adjust the mirror down and away (if desired), then press the memory button, then press the "down" arrow on the direction pad for the mirror adjuatment. Then with the passenger select button pushed in, the passenger mirror moves to the programmed position when the car is in reverse. The key is to adjust the mirror to the reverse position, then press the "M" button, then press the down arrow on the mirror adjust pad.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:43 AM

Question

Originally Posted by can drive 55
For what is's worth, the way my mirror is programmed on my E class is to adjust the mirror down and away (if desired), then press the memory button, then press the "down" arrow on the direction pad for the mirror adjuatment. Then with the passenger select button pushed in, the passenger mirror moves to the programmed position when the car is in reverse. The key is to adjust the mirror to the reverse position, then press the "M" button, then press the down arrow on the mirror adjust pad.
Can drive 55,
Thanks for your input, I will try this.
When starting the process you mentioned, should the mirror button for drivers or passenger side be "pushed in" (in this model one must always be pushed in)?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Can drive 55,
Thanks for your input, I will try this.
When starting the process you mentioned, should the mirror button for drivers or passenger side be "pushed in" (in this model one must always be pushed in)?
In my E clsaa, you have to push the passenger button to make the adjustments. I am not sure if the passenger button has to be pushed in when you push the M button and then the down arrow on the pad. I do know that to make the mirror move when the trans is placed in reverse, the passenger button has to be in.