SL/R230: Mounting radar on windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Mounting radar on windshield?

I have seen some posts on here about wanting to mount a radar on the windshield but being unsure about whether it can be done. I know my CL had only the 2 small places it could be mounted....either at the very top where the black dots were....or in a small area in which the instruction manual noted this and gave measurements.

However, I did not notice any mention of anything being special about the SL windshield in the SL manual nor anyplace it gave measurements. In other words, seemingly contrary to what alot of people here originally thought, I am assuming it can indeed be mounted anywhere on the windshield. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by mjr24
I have seen some posts on here about wanting to mount a radar on the windshield but being unsure about whether it can be done. I know my CL had only the 2 small places it could be mounted....either at the very top where the black dots were....or in a small area in which the instruction manual noted this and gave measurements.

However, I did not notice any mention of anything being special about the SL windshield in the SL manual nor anyplace it gave measurements. In other words, seemingly contrary to what alot of people here originally thought, I am assuming it can indeed be mounted anywhere on the windshield. Can anyone confirm this?

My V1 worked well on the center dash in my 04 SL500, but my S55 requires the same mounting that your CL did.

The best thing to do is check an area that you know has a false alarm.
With the S you can see the small area at the bottom if the sun is shining on it just right.
If your SL doesn't have the "blue" windshield, you should be able to put it anywhere.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I'm thinking that was only a CL/S class thing with the windshield and the infrared thing that was the reason it had to be mounted that way.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Range Rover S/C 2010 Land Rover LR4 HSE Lux Plus 2007 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by mjr24
I'm thinking that was only a CL/S class thing with the windshield and the infrared thing that was the reason it had to be mounted that way.
I never noticed any reduced performance with my SL compared to my other cars, but I immediately noticed a severe lack of range when I got my S55. That's when I learned about the "blue" windshields. I have been told that the new Audi's and BMW's don't even have the small opening in the coating. For me, that would actually be a reason to get rid of a car. The new Bentleys have the "blue' windshields, but I have not seen one in the right light to see if they have an opening for a detector.