SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Temperature Gauge and Idling questions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temperature Gauge and Idling questions.....

On the 2003 SL500 where does most peoples Temperature gauges at? The ones I see are usually a little higher than middle and fluctuates depending on climate and how the car is driven. It goes up and than goes back down to around middle of the gauge. Not often but I have seen them do that? If its not normal could it just need a coolant flush? Maybe a new Water Pump or thermastat? Or is a little fluctation normal? Also the Idles is at about 1k RPM at idle sometimes a tad bit higher. Shouldnt that be lower or are these how the cars are?

Thanks for the info and help.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 AM

Does anyone know?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine is above normal as well.
My idle is a few hundred rpms though.

I will double check it all when I get the car back on Monday.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Mine is above normal as well.
My idle is a few hundred rpms though.

I will double check it all when I get the car back on Monday.

That would be great. Im finalizing a deal and noticed that the temp fluctuates. It is above normal but when Im driving it will go back down. During traffic it climbs back up again but havent seen it go to the top.

As for the RPM I thought it would be at a few hundred RPM as well but the guy is telling me with these cars the idles are all above the 1000 RPM mark. I found that interesting. But like I said Im new with the SL's.

But I would really appriciate it if you can let me know when you get back in your car on Monday.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

I was digging through old photos I've taken.
My friends ask my why I take so many photos. I always respond for memories and just in case

Car is in park I believe right after start. That's why the temp gauge is almost nada.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 AM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by johnny5
That would be great. Im finalizing a deal and noticed that the temp fluctuates. It is above normal but when Im driving it will go back down. During traffic it climbs back up again but havent seen it go to the top.

As for the RPM I thought it would be at a few hundred RPM as well but the guy is telling me with these cars the idles are all above the 1000 RPM mark. I found that interesting. But like I said Im new with the SL's.

But I would really appriciate it if you can let me know when you get back in your car on Monday.

To be quite honest, I don't know about the 2003, but that seriously does not sound right. My 2005 doesn't have the temp flucuating during a drive, and it certainly doesn't idle (after being warmed up) above 1k rpm. I would have a dealership give you a full evaluation before signing the dotted line....
Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by vantage78
To be quite honest, I don't know about the 2003, but that seriously does not sound right. My 2005 doesn't have the temp flucuating during a drive, and it certainly doesn't idle (after being warmed up) above 1k rpm. I would have a dealership give you a full evaluation before signing the dotted line....
Agreed. As much as I don't remember, your temp gauge should be stable (even if above 80*) and your rpms shouldn't be above 1000rpm.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I was digging through old photos I've taken.
My friends ask my why I take so many photos. I always respond for memories and just in case

Car is in park I believe right after start. That's why the temp gauge is almost nada.

Im meeting up with him again tomorrow so Im going to double check the Idle I believe it was above 10 but now that I think about it, it may have just been over the other marking below the 10 on the RPM. Im assuming if thats the case its normal. Anything above 10 which Im assuming is 1000 RPM is not normal?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by vantage78
Yeah I may drive it by a dealer tomorrow or a local shop hopefully something is open that can look at the car. As for the temperature its kind of freaking me out but it drives fine and doesnt over heat on me. Its just going close to the next line above 80 and thats the highest it goes. But when Im driving it, it does go down and its noticable when it fluctuates. I had this happen on my BMW and I ended up replacing the Water Pump and it went away. Im assuming it may be the Water Pump while Im at it probably do a coolant flush and thermastat. Do you think that may be the problem?

As for the ideling Ill double check that but I believe it is above 10 but I could be wrong. Isnt there a valve screw on the throttle body that I could adjust? I believe most cars have that for adjustment?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 AM

I went and took a look at the car today and double checked the idle and it is where it supposed to be. I dont know what the hell I was thinking. I drove it around and the temp doesnt fluctuate as much this time around but I didnt drive it around to long or in traffic but I just want to be safe and want to know what the problem could be? Could it just need a coolant flush? Maybe a new water pump or thermastat? Any help would be great.

I am going to take it in for Service A since it is due and was going to have them check everything throughly but I was also thinking of finalizing everything tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
since 1998 temp gaugels on MB's do not reflect actual engine tempreture unless engine is over 115 degrees.
Gauge is coded to 95 degrees once operation temp hase been achieved.
This is to stop everyone in hot areas bringing there car into the shop in the summer saying its running hotter than it was, no needle fluctuations.
Engine control monitors actual temp and runs fans,aux fans as required, and controls the gauge!!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
The idle is definately not supposed to be anywhere near 1k. Mine is about 600 or so.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:43 AM

Above 80 is normal, mine does it as well - it is never at 80 ... always above it, and when I drive it hard about 90~... no big deal
Old 09-22-2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by mjr24
The idle is definately not supposed to be anywhere near 1k. Mine is about 600 or so.
No I dont know what i was thinking. Its about 600 or so. I thought it was above 1k but it wasnt.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mrdredd
Above 80 is normal, mine does it as well - it is never at 80 ... always above it, and when I drive it hard about 90~... no big deal
Yeah I wasnt used to it. Like you I have an M3 as well and used to seeing it around the middle of the gauge so when I saw this one I was tripping out because it was past the mid point 80. During traffic is when I freaked out. It doesnt ever go past the next line up. Depending on how the weather is or if Im constantly driving it will be below a little above 80 but during traffic and hard driving it will get up to about the next line above 80. So this is normal on the SL's.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 PM

Just to reinforce the issue, my buddy has an '06 with ~10k miles and it does the same temperature thing
Old 09-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry for the late reply, dads had the SL for the week + I got a ticket ()

The rpm's at idle in drive are a hair above 500rpm.
Temperature gauge is above 80 and dips up and down a bit.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mrdredd
Just to reinforce the issue, my buddy has an '06 with ~10k miles and it does the same temperature thing
Thanks for the clarification on things and giving me the comfort that most SL's new and used are doing the same thing.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by vraa
Sorry for the late reply, dads had the SL for the week + I got a ticket ()

The rpm's at idle in drive are a hair above 500rpm.
Temperature gauge is above 80 and dips up and down a bit.

Okay I have noticed the dips up and down so thats good to know its normal. As for the idle its normal. I was just tripping out on things and must have just freaked a bit and saw things. But it is normal. Thanks for the heads up.