SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: No digital temperature readout!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No digital temperature readout!

Does anyone else think that there should be a digital temperature readout on the car.

When I look at the S Class,new CLK and E Class with their Thermotronic system I feel the SL's is more like the cheaper Thermatic system without a digital display,in a more expensive car.

Your thoughts.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
to me what it has right now looks more classy, i can't spell sophisticated so thats why i didn't say that.. lol

i was pondering the same thing.. till i thought of something like that.. not sure..
Old 09-02-2002, 04:27 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
temperature readouts?

What is bad about the current SL type temperaure readouts? Please state the negatives specifically----- I don't understand the argument------Thanks Giff Albright
Old 09-02-2002, 05:54 PM

Well lets start with the fact that there are NO temperature readouts,only a dial.

In the other new models,CLK ,E Class, they have digital readout displays on the A/C unit available like most other prestige cars(BMW,Jaguar......etc) which look very modern and clear.

Just wondering if owners feel a little badly done by or whether a digital A/C system would be better.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:13 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
digital temp readout on SL

I thought you were talking about outdoor temp!

Again, what is the specific advantage of a digital readout on the A/C--in a car which has A/C operating with roof down in many cases! The SLK system does not have digital readout--and it worked perfectly for me for 5 years-----With the top down, and the sun shining brightly, can you always read a digital readout? ---GIFF
Old 09-03-2002, 12:41 AM

That's a good point!

Maybe they didn't fit one because of the glare problem with the roof down.

It will be interesting to see if they fit the digital unit to the upcoming CLK convertible (and SLK) to see if that is a possible reason.

My gut feeling though is that they will.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 AM

ML 500 Sport
I don't have a problem with it...seems like it is sophisticated enough:

SL climate control
Old 09-03-2002, 04:15 PM

C-Class
the new climate control wheels looks more upper class to me than a cheap-o-LCDisplay! it works great, and looks gut.

just my 2cents
Old 09-03-2002, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: digital temp readout on SL

Originally posted by giffSCPA
I thought you were talking about outdoor temp!

Again, what is the specific advantage of a digital readout on the A/C--in a car which has A/C operating with roof down in many cases! The SLK system does not have digital readout--and it worked perfectly for me for 5 years-----With the top down, and the sun shining brightly, can you always read a digital readout? ---GIFF
Who designed/engineered the parking garage, that collapsed today at Penn State??

Hope nobody got hurt and you and your SL are ok!

Just saw pix of this tragic event at the 11pm evening local news in Miami.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:44 PM

Ever hear of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)? Basically that. They could've put one in, but basically where it sits and how its angled, it would be nearly impossible to see the LCD anytime the top is down. Plus I find it a lot easier and quicker to adjust the settings as well. Plus no LCD to go out either, which happens.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:58 AM

As long as you are happy I quess that's all that matters.

As I said before it will be interesting to see if they put the Thermotronic version in the new CLK convertible and new SLK.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Although we all think the SL is the latest thing, not least because none of us can buy one, it's actually "old" in development terms. The car was a long time in the making, about 5 years and many of the key design decisions will have been frozen two years before release in 1999 and the body styling earlier than that.

Put that in computer terms, and they started work on the SL when we were first using Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51 and had to make do with a 166MHz Pentium. Oh, and 2Gb was huge for a hard disk.

We're already seeing new gizmos in car announcements since then - DVD Command, Second Generaton SBC in the E class, the new V12 engines and Pre-Safe in the face-lifted S and CL. It's a constant game of leap-frogging and somewhere deep in Unterturkheim, someone will have a list of what they plan to do with an SL make-over in 2005/6 and the next generation SL in 2009.

So I expect newer cars will use alternative climate control systems. I've no argument with the dials on the SL, except that they wobble and feel insubstantial. They should have tried the shutter speed dial on a Leica to understand what a control knob should feel like.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:08 AM

Very true.

Even a company like Benz has technology limits.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by blueSL

So I expect newer cars will use alternative climate control systems. I've no argument with the dials on the SL, except that they wobble and feel insubstantial. They should have tried the shutter speed dial on a Leica to understand what a control knob should feel like.
I wonder, what role HYUNDAI Motor Company contributed or will be contributing in it's role as a Daimler-Chrysler STRATEGIC Partner??
Old 09-05-2002, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I would have thought they would be busy enough with Chrysler to put any more strategic partnerships on the back burner. Perhaps Hyundai do a nice line in aircon temperature dials...