SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: On SL's do the doors have the closing assit like the trunks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On SL's do the doors have the closing assit like the trunks?

I was just curious on the 2003 SL's and up do the doors have the closing assit like the trunks? I noticed that when you close the trunk down a bit the assit sucks the trunk lid down and was wondering if the doors have that as well. Also on one car I noticed that the trunk assit doesnt work anymore so I had to push the trunk lid down and push it in. Is that an easy fix? I did notice that where the trunk latch goes into one of the connections is loose. If Im not mistaken Im assuming the silver connection pieces are the ground or something that when the latch slips into it thats when the closing assit kicks in. Is it probably because one of the pieces is loose could that be the problem and is it an easy fix?

Thanks for help in advance.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The doors don't have the soft touch.

Your trunk has a high limit for the soft touch. On mine I find that it just prevent s me from slamming the trunk, that's about it. You have to really push down on it in the first place after you let it close to activate the soft touch closer.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by vraa
The doors don't have the soft touch.

Your trunk has a high limit for the soft touch. On mine I find that it just prevent s me from slamming the trunk, that's about it. You have to really push down on it in the first place after you let it close to activate the soft touch closer.
Okay thanks I was told that the SL's should have them. But thanks for clarifing that. AS for the trunk on the car I really want to pick up it doesnt work anymore. It was working at one point but doesnt anymore. Are they that sensitive and go out often? So what do you think could be a problem with it since it doesnt even work anymore?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Even when my SL was 1 day old, I had to push pretty hard for it to self close...

But if you push down with some force and it doesnt shut itself, sometimes you may have pushed hard enough to close it completely.

Remember that trunk lid has to open both ways, so we are lucky to even have the option IMO.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by cy0811
Even when my SL was 1 day old, I had to push pretty hard for it to self close...

But if you push down with some force and it doesnt shut itself, sometimes you may have pushed hard enough to close it completely.

Remember that trunk lid has to open both ways, so we are lucky to even have the option IMO.
I took the plastic piece off and there was a plastic piece sitting in there so I took it out and its working fine again. I think it might have gotten in the way of the self closing mechanism. Its working like its supposed to again.