SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ecu upgrade to sl 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ecu upgrade to sl 500

Just purchased an 04 sl 500 and have been reading about ecu upgrades. I would like to easily add horsepower without high cost and this seems very intreging.
On the Upsolute and Powerchip websites they say it can add 20-25 or so horses but is illegal in california. Is this still the case? I live in Los Angeles and am not crazy about taking the chip out and sending it away for reprogramming. Can MB service do it?
If anyone has done this, especially in the LA area, any info on what, where and how would be appreciated.
Maybe its silly but I'd just like to know that my car is a little faster than the other 500's and there are many in this area.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Waste of money IMHO.. Renntech says its only a 10HP increase for $1999..
Id invest in a exhaust or headers..
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 SL 550
I had powerchip do it in my car and I can't tell you that I noticed the increase in horse power, but for sure, when I accelerate the response is a lot faster and that you can definitely feel. The only way for me to find out for sure if it increased the HP is to dyno tested. I also live in LA and I took my car to powerchip, they are near the 405 and Olympic blvd. Very nice people, it took then about one hour. Also near them there is a gas station with 100 octane gas
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 AM

2003 SL500, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Originally Posted by mveloz
I had powerchip do it in my car and I can't tell you that I noticed the increase in horse power, but for sure, when I accelerate the response is a lot faster and that you can definitely feel. The only way for me to find out for sure if it increased the HP is to dyno tested. I also live in LA and I took my car to powerchip, they are near the 405 and Olympic blvd. Very nice people, it took then about one hour. Also near them there is a gas station with 100 octane gas
Do you also feel the difference in low revs, or only when 'hammering'? Which chip did you get, the Gold (+20 hp) or the Gold-98 (+27 hp)?

George

++
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 AM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by mveloz
What did the car dyno at after the chip? Also they show the dyno slips on their website producing a 30 hp increase with the Gold 93 chip.

I have called them trying to get some references from people who have made the mod. They haven't had a single person in two weeks that I could talk to. It is worrying me a little bit.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:40 AM

2003 SL500, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Powerchip claims that the HP gain has to also do with the fuel octanes..

By installing the Gold-98 (and using minimum 98 octanes gas) gives you 27.2 HP (20 KW) gain.

Fail to understand how the Gold-93 (gas with less octanes), provides 30 HP (22 KW)...

George

++
Old 11-07-2006, 02:49 PM

2003 SL500
I was mistaken, The Gold 93 shows 27 hp increase the torque increase was 30. See the attached link I used in the other thread.

https://www.powerchipgroup.com/datas...13/Mer0127.pdf
Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Guys, what makes you think this company has come up with some mystical way to get 30hp and Renntech/Kleeman cant get the same result..

The 500 motor is tapped for power... Forced Induction is the only way you are going to get a seat of the pants HP increase.

Buy a nice exhaust or set of headers...
I wouldnt dream of letting some unproven hack tamper with my ECU.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:46 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Guys, what makes you think this company has come up with some mystical way to get 30hp and Renntech/Kleeman cant get the same result..

The 500 motor is tapped for power... Forced Induction is the only way you are going to get a seat of the pants HP increase.

Buy a nice exhaust or set of headers...
I wouldnt dream of letting some unproven hack tamper with my ECU.
I have to agree. That is why I wanted to talk to someone who had done the upgrade.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 SL 550
You can feel it at low too. In California you can only get the 91, unless you are willing to drive to a gas station that has 93 plus octane. Powerchip does not recommend the 93 or 98 for California. Also, not that I can do it here in California with out losing my license, but no more speed limiter . You can PM if have more questions.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
First of all sorry for any bad English.. I will try my best to explain.

I have modified my ECU last year. Cost me about $400. It was done by well known turner here in Sweden.
He hook up the ECU to his computer, took a backup of the original file, and then changed the parameters for the ignition.
I was able to sit with him when he did it and i can tell You he was a wizard with the computer. The ignition settings is hidden in all the other codes of the ECU. There is about 3 or 4 settings that all have to be changed.
He told me that the ECU is programmed to work all over the world, from the north pole to Sahara, with very different octane.
So he optimized the ignition settings for 98 octane and I can really feel a difference.
I have not dyno the car but there is definitely more power! My guess is about 15-20 HP.
I always drive the same route to work and I'm quite an "aggressive" driver. With the ESP off I can now take some bends sideways (drifting?) and that's something that i could not do before.. Not the most scientific proof but it works for me..
He also de-limit the speed limiter so: V-MAX, baby
This summer i had installed a sport exhaust and that gave a little more HP not to mention the sound! It sounds great! The exhaust was done by the same company that makes the Kleemann exhaust.

In conclusion: Yes, I feel that I have got more power but I cant present any proof other then that my tires have to be changed more often...