SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Possible to upgrade to newer nav on 04 SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006 | 06:56 PM

Possible to upgrade to newer nav on 04 SL?

My 04 SL600 has the older style nav, with the trim ring continuing around it. I Am going to install a Touchscreen monitor, but I think I could fit a larger screen of I were to use the newer style trim ring and cup holders. Its the carbon fiber surround. I can fill in where the head unit goes, but I'm curious if anyone knows whether it will match up as far as all the other components in the console like the AC controls, shifter, etc. Mine is the first one with Red Interior. I wanna go to the second one.
Attached Thumbnails Possible to upgrade to newer nav on 04 SL?-04-dash1.jpg   Possible to upgrade to newer nav on 04 SL?-06-dash1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2006 | 11:09 AM

if you end up replacing your '04 COMAND, i would gladly buy it from you.
Old 11-29-2006 | 11:54 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
If you buy that whole center trim piece, the cup holders from 05 up should fit just fine but when you change out your nav you will lose all steering wheel functions to control audio, etc. Too bad the 05 and up nav won't just plug and play.
Old 11-29-2006 | 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Juice it
If you buy that whole center trim piece, the cup holders from 05 up should fit just fine but when you change out your nav you will lose all steering wheel functions to control audio, etc. Too bad the 05 and up nav won't just plug and play.

That sucks so it is possible but you will lose steering wheel functions? Is it because its a newer steering wheel that is needed or the wiring for it is just not compatible?

This was something I wanted to do but if its that much of a hassle than its not even worth doing.
Old 11-29-2006 | 04:47 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by iBkickinit
My 04 SL600 has the older style nav, with the trim ring continuing around it. I Am going to install a Touchscreen monitor, but I think I could fit a larger screen of I were to use the newer style trim ring and cup holders. Its the carbon fiber surround. I can fill in where the head unit goes, but I'm curious if anyone knows whether it will match up as far as all the other components in the console like the AC controls, shifter, etc. Mine is the first one with Red Interior. I wanna go to the second one.
I thought 05 was fiber optic versus regular cables in the 04. I don't think they are interchangeable.
Old 11-29-2006 | 10:04 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
05 command won't work but I thought he was talking about an aftermarket touch screen one. Personally I wouldn't mess with it because it might be a big issue when it comes time to sell.
Old 11-30-2006 | 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The newer style nav units are MOST based. Older comand units are d2b based. They are not swappable. YOu will have to replace all wiring and related fiber components to make it work correctly. I have done this to my w203 car and in the end, not really worth the cost and time involved. It will be cheaper to get a later car with the widescreen nav. You can see what's involved here http://web.mac.com/motorwerks/iWeb/Site/MOST.html

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2006 | 06:38 PM

-
05 command won't work but I thought he was talking about an aftermarket touch screen one. Personally I wouldn't mess with it because it might be a big issue when it comes time to sell.
Yes, very true. The vast majority of people will avoid the car like the plague.
Old 12-03-2006 | 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Hey juice it, sorry for ot anything new in 07 for that brutale (luv the name)?