SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: help me choose!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions

If you need more space than the SL, CLK is not a bad choice, but the back seat in the CLK is only for adults you dislike. I had CLK 430 a few years ago, and didn't like the soft top.

I have an SL 550 now, and like it very much. Much prettier car, more people room in front, more fun to drive, I like the interior better. Easy choice for empty nesters.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM

CHIPPED E320 CDI
cls 63
Old 11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
NEW CLK63 = 10k+ discount...I wonder why
Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
What part of the country do you live in?..............Clk is an older sedate design ....lets just say less masculine.........Drop the top on an autumn night with your girly inside keeping you warm..............sl in another class period
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Ok,ok, i see ur points, nevertheless, even among sl's the decision is not a painless one
i mean...when you think of getting an sl55, suddenly the question arises "is this car worth TWO slk55's???"
One sl55 costs about as much as two slks, dont forget,
if someone offered you two brand new slk55s (0-60 4.2) or one SL55, that would be a hard choice no?
In othwer words, sure the sl55 is awesome, but is it worth that much money?
is it worth two other cars, or three?
And if the answer is YES, then how do i write of the 12cyl sl600?
its just about the same price as the sl55, so why not go all the way and get the sl600?
the 55 cant match that awesome torque, right?
So here i am again, unsure where to put my money
please help!
(for that matter, you can get an slk55 and a vette for the price of a 600)
But yes, i determined to stay with Benz, but which one?
definately got to be an open top, part time convert
sl550 has a nice 7spd Xmission, a new generation engine that manages 0-60 in 4.9, the reviews have been outstanding, bloes away all the others, jags, caddys, bmw, they say to invest in a 550 and save your money since the difference between the 550 and the 55amg is much less now, with an improvewd suspension they say the 550 drives like an amg car!
so what to do!!!???
(got to go)
Old 11-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Blazinginder, hello my friend, love that machine of yours, can you tell me what you have there? in detail? colrs, options, thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by benzworshiper
Ok,ok, i see ur points, nevertheless, even among sl's the decision is not a painless one
i mean...when you think of getting an sl55, suddenly the question arises "is this car worth TWO slk55's???"
One sl55 costs about as much as two slks, dont forget,
if someone offered you two brand new slk55s (0-60 4.2) or one SL55, that would be a hard choice no?
In othwer words, sure the sl55 is awesome, but is it worth that much money?
is it worth two other cars, or three?
And if the answer is YES, then how do i write of the 12cyl sl600?
its just about the same price as the sl55, so why not go all the way and get the sl600?
the 55 cant match that awesome torque, right?
So here i am again, unsure where to put my money
please help!
(for that matter, you can get an slk55 and a vette for the price of a 600)
But yes, i determined to stay with Benz, but which one?
definately got to be an open top, part time convert
sl550 has a nice 7spd Xmission, a new generation engine that manages 0-60 in 4.9, the reviews have been outstanding, bloes away all the others, jags, caddys, bmw, they say to invest in a 550 and save your money since the difference between the 550 and the 55amg is much less now, with an improvewd suspension they say the 550 drives like an amg car!
so what to do!!!???
(got to go)
Uhh....what is it that you drive now?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Just renting now.
I had a few more minutes so im back.
For me its a difficult choice.
How much MORE satisfaction would I get out of an sl than the slk55?
I dont know!
Sure, id prefer the sl, but even then....which one!
the new generation motor in the 7spd sl550 is said to be a marriage made in heaven, is that true, romeo550?
have you driven the 55amg, and if so how much better did you find it than your new 550? probably not much, since your machine is said to be a fantastic car as is.
So im inclined, at times, to get a new 550, load it up to the max with options, and be glad that i didnt get the amg car which cannot be had with the cool shiny wooden steering wheel, for one.
looking ffrom here those extra-buffeted amg seats look like overkill, the standard seat is said to be excellent.
nevertheless, if you wanted the fastest machine then why wouldnt you also want the maximum torque? which the sl600 has, not the 55amg.
I keep reading that the sl55amg is the so-called "driver car" but is that really true in comparison to the sl600?
How so?
Just check EVO mag and you will see that the 600 blew away the 55amg on the track, and the slk55 beat them both!
(ok, im exagerating, but the order is true!)
So why bother with the 55amg if its all just hype (in comparison to 12 cyl models)
Anyway, I can get any one of these cars, and Im here mainly to hear from the people who already own them, to explain the reasons they made the choices they did. (assuming you could spend up to140K or so)
???
Ive never had a Mercedes and cant see the reasons to select one from another, other than the obvious reasons (this model comes with this option, and that model comes with that option, but not these, etc)
these options alone may indeed be the factors, but id like to know about the satisfaction they bring you..
tanx
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Just renting now.
I had a few more minutes so im back.
For me its a difficult choice.
How much MORE satisfaction would I get out of an sl than the slk55?
I dont know!
Sure, id prefer the sl, but even then....which one!
the new generation motor in the 7spd sl550 is said to be a marriage made in heaven, is that true, romeo550?
have you driven the 55amg, and if so how much better did you find it than your new 550? probably not much, since your machine is said to be a fantastic car as is.
So im inclined, at times, to get a new 550, load it up to the max with options, and be glad that i didnt get the amg car which cannot be had with the cool shiny wooden steering wheel, for one.
looking ffrom here those extra-buffeted amg seats look like overkill, the standard seat is said to be excellent.
nevertheless, if you wanted the fastest machine then why wouldnt you also want the maximum torque? which the sl600 has, not the 55amg.
I keep reading that the sl55amg is the so-called "driver car" but is that really true in comparison to the sl600?
How so?
Just check EVO mag and you will see that the 600 blew away the 55amg on the track, and the slk55 beat them both!
(ok, im exagerating, but the order is true!)
So why bother with the 55amg if its all just hype (in comparison to 12 cyl models)
Anyway, I can get any one of these cars, and Im here mainly to hear from the people who already own them, to explain the reasons they made the choices they did. (assuming you could spend up to140K or so)
???
Ive never had a Mercedes and cant see the reasons to select one from another, other than the obvious reasons (this model comes with this option, and that model comes with that option, but not these, etc)
these options alone may indeed be the factors, but id like to know about the satisfaction they bring you..
tanx
Wow, your an inquisitive one eh?............ok i had the cl500....great solid car dead powertrain...........this new powertrain really hooks up and your hunch is right...the 55s brakes feel huge and dull whereas the 550 is sharp...the steering on the 55 is heavy slow and direct ....great for a track.............the 550 is sharp lighter and so easy to drive fast.......the ride on the 55 is stiff.. and there is alot of feedback from the road..........the 550 floats when you want it to ...........and yes the performance difference has been narrowed we are talking about .4 or so for 60 .....so dont get hung up on these numbers...especially if u drive it everyday.............ok im done ill send u the bill.............................
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
from the what you've said, it sounds like you've already made of your mind of getting the 550.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

benzworshiper...

Blazinginder, hello my friend, love that machine of yours, can you tell me what you have there? in detail? colrs, options, thanks

The car is a 2005 SL500...

alabaster white exterior / stone leather interior
the car has:

Keyless Go
Xenon Headlamps
Wood Trim Package
Panorama Roof with Sunshade

Now if I were getting one today, with new "P" packages they started in 2006...I'd get the P1 pkg, Wood Trim Pkg, Pano Roof, electronic trunk closer and the AMG sport pkg (not a must though it does look nice)...dont really care for distronic & parktronic
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 PM

Yes, i have found more articles about the 550 than the other three choices, all of which praised it to high-heaven and put it ahead of every other make in the comparisons (ie bmw, caddy's, jags, andsoon).
thanks to those who responded, but since so few have, i think i'll post that last one of mine to the amg forum and see what those boys have to say
there are plenty of 55's out there so i'd like to know why they passed on the mighty 600, im sure it wasnt coz of the additional 2k dollars!
I suppose some of you stopped at 500/550 due to financial reasons, thats not really my problem,
I didnt know about those differences just posted above, i didnt know there was much difference in steering feel or response or that it would be so much so as to influence a choice
thanks for enlightening me
the next step will be to get in and try them out
problem is here in the sticks very few avail especl the amg brutes
think i'll buzz over to Cali where i ought to find many
anyone here from San Fran area?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Get the distronic, its the best thing that i have had, and does not cost much.

Malcolm
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Oh god. Those tough choices in life. Which SL ??

I have not driven a SL550 yet.
So no opinion there.

The last post about distronic is not applicable here in OC.
I might use it 3-4 times a year. Too much traffic here in Cali.

SL55 exhaust sound has a wonderful appeal to it.
Old supercar sound from the 70`s. It really roars.
I love all the AMG goodies. Seats, Brakes, Pedals, Etc.
Since I own one I am biased.

My friend has a SL600.
It is way more quiet. About the same as far as quickness.
More smooth power. Not as snappy on the throttle.
But much more nose heavy.
600`s lose value quicker and are more expensive to maintain.

When I got my CL500. Thought it was not bad for 300HP.
Well the extra 200 HP in the SL55 is another world. The CL500 feels like
a slug compared to the SL55.

"I suppose some of you stopped at 500/550 due to financial reasons, thats not really my problem"

Dude. If $$$ not issue. SL65. SL65. Say again. SL65
My SL55 is humbled in its presence.
I have driven a couple of them. The tourque is so intense you
need to hold on to the steering wheel real hard. Seriously !!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks, on that white car of yours, did you othe exclusive stone interior or just the basic interior?
Does the exclusive in a 550 look like the sl600 door panels?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, on that white car of yours, did you othe exclusive stone interior or just the basic interior?
Does the exclusive in a 550 look like the sl600 door panels?
Is the question for me ...

well if it is...I ordered it with standard stone leather but if you're ordering the car to your exact specs...I'd say go with the red interior ...that would have been my top choice but I wasn't looking to order and they had this on the floor and they let me drive it right out of their enormous showroom right onto the street for a testdrive...I guess my salesman, of 10 years, knew I'd be sold after driving it

Last edited by blazinginder; 12-17-2006 at 01:53 AM.