SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Okay need some insight on things.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2006 | 04:22 AM

Okay need some insight on things.....

Okay I have been pondering either going chrome wheels or Silver with polish lip. I have also considered jet black or maybe even gun metal with polish lip. How many of you on here things that painted wheels makes the car look ricey??

I have a pewter SL and think that black or gun metal with polish might look pretty aggressive on the car. I have seen a few SL's black mainly with black and polish that look really good but what about on pewter??

Also what do people think of mesh style wheels on the cars?

Can anyone post pictures of there cars with chrome, silver, gun metal, black, etc....
Old 11-24-2006 | 07:26 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I think Black rims with a Polished lip would look awesome on your car....but in the end I would personally go chrome or silver with a polished lip since everyday I would want something that blends a little more and is less "in your face" contrast wise with the exterior color of the car. Asanti, I forged, HRE.....the choices are numerous.
Old 11-29-2006 | 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cy0811
I think Black rims with a Polished lip would look awesome on your car....but in the end I would personally go chrome or silver with a polished lip since everyday I would want something that blends a little more and is less "in your face" contrast wise with the exterior color of the car. Asanti, I forged, HRE.....the choices are numerous.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. Everytime I look at the car and imagine black with polish lip I keep thinking thats the way to go. It would blend in perfect with the pano roof and other black on the car. But then again like you stated it will contrast to much and Im not sure if I really want that. Im looking for different but I think that is to much. Just wanted to see what others thought but guess your the only one that had an opinion.

By the way this is another thing I have been pondering on...I was thinking of going wheel size staggered like 20 rear and 19 front. But do you think that will cause a problem and will it look right on the car?
Old 11-29-2006 | 09:55 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I hate when I see 19's front and 20's rear on the SL....IMO you should pick one or the other....

What you could do is get 3 piece rims in silver with a chrome lip and powder coat them black in the center after trying it out with silver for a while....high quality black rims on silver/pewter sportscar look awesome though so its a tough one.
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:21 AM

none
19/20 setup is only for cars that cant run a 20 up front.. go 20 all the way around.
Old 11-30-2006 | 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by cy0811
I hate when I see 19's front and 20's rear on the SL....IMO you should pick one or the other....

What you could do is get 3 piece rims in silver with a chrome lip and powder coat them black in the center after trying it out with silver for a while....high quality black rims on silver/pewter sportscar look awesome though so its a tough one.
Thanks for the insight. It was something that I was pondering but wasnt to sure if I really wanted to go that route. A few dealers were telling me it looks good having 19's up front and 20's in the rear but like you and LorinserBenz Im not sure of that setup on a SL.

I think Ill just end up going 20's. As for color I have seen this blackish Chrome color that has been catching my eye for sometime now. I believe that is the route Im pushing for. Ill keep you posted on what style and brand I go. Its a surprise for now!!
Old 11-30-2006 | 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
19/20 setup is only for cars that cant run a 20 up front.. go 20 all the way around.
Thanks for the opinion. I figured it wasnt a good set up on the car but just wanted a few feedback on it. I believe I have made up my mind on going 20's all the way around.

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2006 | 05:40 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The ride may a bit harsher, but again not by much IMO....and you can always raise the car to a higher setting if there is a super bumpy road...I had no problem with the ride after putting on 20's. After the lowering, it incrementally becomes a little harsher once again...but to me its worth it.
Old 11-30-2006 | 12:07 PM

2008 M6 Vert
My Chrome wheels

Heres my 20" chrome wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Okay need some insight on things.....-88kg-ii-.jpg   Okay need some insight on things.....-88kg.jpg  
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Keng1
nice choice
Old 11-30-2006 | 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Nice chrome looks good on silver....Johnny i liked the idea about painted centers and polished lip.............or polished, just make sure its clearcoated.....cmon johnny pulllllllll the trigger
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Keng1

Very nice choice....I was looking at a set of Chrome Brabus as well. Chrome looks awesome on a lighter car...it brings out the class of the car. But I also like the idea of jet black with polish lip but havent found much people with this set up...making me want to do it more but I dont want to regret it after looking at it on the car for a few days or weeks.

Chrome and Silver you cant go wrong with these cars. Anything else is a risk you take!!
Old 12-02-2006 | 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by ROMEO550
Nice chrome looks good on silver....Johnny i liked the idea about painted centers and polished lip.............or polished, just make sure its clearcoated.....cmon johnny pulllllllll the trigger

Yes I know its the same story over and over. Everytime I have my mind set something pops up makes me change my ideas. Give me a month or two and watch what I have in stored for this car!!!

Im breaking it down one by one and as soon as I figure out what Im doing Im going to ordering it all at once.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by johnny5
Yes I know its the same story over and over. Everytime I have my mind set something pops up makes me change my ideas. Give me a month or two and watch what I have in stored for this car!!!

Im breaking it down one by one and as soon as I figure out what Im doing Im going to ordering it all at once.
Cool johnny, lookiing ahead for u then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,