SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: DCR wheels for SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Thumbs down DCR wheels for SL

So after waiting 10+ weeks for my new DCR wheels, they finally arrived and were ready to install. The excitement quickly died when 2 of the wheel barrels were warped. They were very apparent when they were spun around the tire balancer. WTF, how can 2 of the 4 wheels be shipped like this w/o any QA? Also, you can forget about their solution to TPMS. They shipped some rigged up L brackets for 25 bucks a piece and didn't even fit. Even more, they way they were suppose to be installed was very very dangerous. Those sharp edges can come lose and shred the tires. A disaster waiting to happen.

So for anyone looking at this brand, I would just stay away. A lot of poor quality and lack of QA in this company. Anyone who has gotten perfect wheels, consider yourself lucky. They are nice wheels to look at but that's about it. I think it's main purpose is for the wheels to sit on the car and not spin. If you want to avoid headaches, go for a brand that's more reputable.

These wheels will be going back. I'm not waiting another 10 weeks to get 2 wheels replaced only have them ship another 2 that may have the same issues. It is not worth my time.

A big thanks to Adam and Tony from Euroelites for your help and w/ dealing w/ these issues.

Last edited by amgme; 01-20-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 PM

E500 , G55 , GS300
hi
i suggest you work closely with william dcr.
there are quite new company
you should give them a chance
everyone deserved a second chance :P
just my 2cent
i only have problem with the valve with dcr
other than that. it is good
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh.. the issue isn't DCR, the problem are the suppliers. DCR is just a private labeler, just like Makaveli wheels or all the billion other "forged wheel" companies. Only a few wheel company actually make the wheels themselves, and it's only usually just the centers. The barrels are mass produced and are not sold like something you buy from Target. It's not uncommon for a company, let's call them, HForged, to buy all the 19x10 barrels for hundreds of thousands of dollars and then resell them to the smaller private labelers.

The forged wheel business is chaotic right now. Too many players, not enough manufacturers, and not enough supply. This could have easily happened if you bought from HRE or any other company.

Best of luck to you. William and DCR are good people. Sometimes, like this, it is out of their control.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
yeah, i was pissed at the time so i just needed to vent.

the lip of the wheel is what is warped. doesn't dcr make that part(lip) and just join that piece to the barrel (which is 3rd party)?

in terms of the valve problem, there's a leak? what have they done to resolve this?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, the barrels all come from a third party. They are separate from the center, which is drilled by a vendor.

They should be able to do something about to seal. However, if there is a manufacturing flaw, which this may sound like, their only option is to wait for another barrel.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C-Coupe
amgme
I have a set of DCR's collecting dust in the garage. I would have to agree the quality is crap. Customer service the worst i've ever experienced.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW
Originally Posted by onie
amgme
I have a set of DCR's collecting dust in the garage. I would have to agree the quality is crap. Customer service the worst i've ever experienced.
You are totally right! I have just ended a two year nightmare with DCR. As far as "giving the a chance" goes...I have tried that...for TWO YEARS.

I purchased DCR rims for one of my BMW's and since the very first day I had nothing but trouble. Countless flat tires, many tow trucks and dangerous situations were part of my life while I owned these rims.

I have actually been getting names of other people that have had the same experiences...and there are an amazingly large amount of them. I have given DCR many chances, but now we are organizing a class action suit due to the obvious dangers these wheels can cause.

They promised me the world as far as fixing or replacing them...but in the end, they were just big liars. They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

If you want to hear the details...let me know.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 AM

SL 500
Weather is DCR, Iforged, HRE, Forgiatto, etc. Its all made in china and taiwan lately none is made in good ol America and EU anymore. I have my 20' HRE fix every other week because of just some small bumps.

The weight is almost as AMG, the balance is almost as AMG, the look maybe better than than AMG (abit), but the strength is FAR LESS than AMG

Just like any other company they just looking for bigger bucks w/o thinking of customer satisfaction.

Suggestions: Get your self some real AMG and safe yourself the trouble
Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM

SL500
I agree. There are enough maintenance items on the R230 already without adding wheels into the mix. Why buy flimsy wheels, regardless of appearance?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW
Originally Posted by Teaga
Weather is DCR, Iforged, HRE, Forgiatto, etc. Its all made in china and taiwan lately none is made in good ol America and EU anymore.
I am not as upset about the initial quality of the rims as I am with the total lack of customer service provided to me; by both the wheel manufacturer and the shop that sold and installed them.