SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: European Delivery In Progress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 185 Likes on 123 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
European Delivery In Progress

It's been three months since we placed our order, but the time has finally come. We picked up our SL550[pic] on the 25th. I did the factory tour the following day, and then we visited Heilbronn followed by a lively drive through the national forest area to the east of Stuttgart[pic]. Great twisty roads where the motorcyclists pretty much own the road. Much more fun than the autobahn where I was doing 120mph w/ top down & the misses didn't even notice. Today we did the Mercedes Museum [pic], followed by a visit to the Stuttgart Spring Festival (fruehlingsfest). [pic] Tomorrow we are off to Freiburg for a couple of days in the Black Forest (more twistys) before we head south to the Lake Geneva region. The car and the trip were worth the wait. I'll connect to the Internet every couple of days, so I'll post updates every now and then.
Attached Thumbnails European Delivery In Progress-germany-4-26-2007-087small.jpg   European Delivery In Progress-germany-4-26-2007-215small.jpg   European Delivery In Progress-germany-4-27-2007-284small.jpg   European Delivery In Progress-germany-4-27-2007-559small.jpg  
Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
Congratulations on your new SL! I went through the European Delivery process one year ago while taking delivery of my new SL. The European Delivery process, the MB tour, all the great sites and hotels, are now great memories in my life. After taking delivery of my car in Sindelfingen and driving it on the autobahn, it was very difficult, though, to wait the seven weeks for my car to arrive on the U.S. west coast. I cried when I left it behind at the shipper's office in Germany and I cried again when I saw it sitting on my dealer's lot at home. Picking it up at my dealership was a great day.

One year has passed since delivery of my car. I have not had any problems with my SL except I STILL can't seem to drive it enough. I thought I would be over the thrill of this car by now, but I still can't wait to get out and drive it every day.

Enjoy your trip and your beautiful new car!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 185 Likes on 123 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to parting with the car when it's time to go home, but I still having some Euro driving to do. Not sure about rural speed limits in Germany, but no one seems to pay attention to any speed limit at all in the mountains. I spent another day racing through the mountains with Bimmers, Audis, and lots of sport bikes. Today we drove down to Lake Geneva, pretty much a boring drive down the interstate, but it was a taste of what it'll be like driving back home. Tomorrow the Alps!