SL/R230: One day with the SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
One day with the SL

Okay so I traded my CLS63 with Murtaza's SL500 for the weekend cause his rents were in town and he needed rocket powered grocery-getter to chauffeur them around.

In the past 24 hours I have driven the car around 4-5 hours total. And if I had to put my impression of this car in just one sentence it would be the following:

The SL has nothing to prove.
Honestly, the car is so chill and so enjoyable to drive you just don't feel like even paying attention to what the hell else is on the road.

Went for a cruise to Main Street in HB during the day, top down, music blasting, not a care in the world.

At night we were down in Hermosa Beach. The car gets a lot of looks and comments from the ladies. On the way out, after a great night, we put the top down, few girls across the street make a few noises to show they're lovin it. We talk for a while. Later at the light, top down still, girl pulls up at the light WITH her boyfriend in the car, she obviously didn't know about MBs so she asks her is that a CLK? I set her straight and she asks me if I want to race her, lol, I decline and she takes off in her Maxima or whatever the hell it was. What other mass production car gets a girl with her BF in the car to talk to you? I am willing to bet the CLK black would NOT!

Drove top down the whole way home about 40 miles, in 60F weather, which is as close to freezing as it gets down here in Cali this time a year. Heater on with heated seats, music loud and it never felt uncomfortable. You could still hear the song very well. I can't even count how many cars tried to race us last night and it was sooo easy to turn them down cause like I said, the SL has nothing to prove. It doesn't care if it beats your car or not in a speed match, or if you can handle the curves better, or if you can fit 9 passengers with golf bags in your SUV, it just does what it does best, which is be the best possible roadster money can buy and it does it in ultimate style.

I am very impressed, and the few things that really bug me about the car, I can easily look past and won't even mention. But lets just say there is room for some minor improvement.

I'd say this is the next best thing, freedom-wise, to being on my motorcycle. Only way it could get better is if it was an SL55/65 but like I said, speed is really not necessary when you drive this car. It makes your day just by the virtue of being itself.

Well back to driving
Old 05-19-2007, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree 100%.. Driving the SL, not a care in the world. It does get quite a bit of attention from the ladies too. My dads lease is up on his, so I think we are going to get him a 550 for now.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I'm going to write a blurb on your 63 later to, glad you like it bro
Old 05-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CLS is a very attractive car as well for being a 4 door and Im sure you get attention from the ladies as well in that car!!! Dont be so modest! I have felt the power in the CLS 63 and damn I have to say the power feels good.

I wish the SL500 had more power but like you stated it gets good attention as is and when I do drive it Im the same way with no worries in the road. Ive been screwed with by other cars on the roads to but I usually just chill.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:01 PM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
ladies do love the SL
Old 05-19-2007, 11:38 PM

2007 SL550
Hey - I wish the reverse were true for me. Men are intimidated. Guys don't want to race - probably because most of them would lose - BORING.

Yes, us chicks do love the SL and driving one couldn't be sweeter.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by SL-Chick
Hey - I wish the reverse were true for me. Men are intimidated. Guys don't want to race - probably because most of them would lose - BORING.

Trust me guys love girls with nice cars. Yeah it could be a little intimidating but it goes back to most girls I see in nice cars are snobby. Not saying you are but thats from experience. I would love to meet a girl in an SL!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order

Tell you what, you can pick me up in that SL any day. Absolutely love the car and any girl who drives one.

Happened again tonight, at about 2:30 am heading out to Barry's Pizza, three chicks in a Lexus pull up next to us and ask us to turn up the music, then they follow us to Barry's for some late late night grub ++

SL guys just have more fun. Plain and simple. Hate to say it, but I can't hate.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Love you Trez, I feel you on everything you said. Ditto to the whole blurb.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw a new blk/blk 07 SL55 at Autohuas yesterday and the new rims really looked sharp not to mention the benefit of the extra HP due to the revised supercharger. I can only imagine how nice the new body style will be if they make it an evolution of the current car.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by TREZ63
Tell you what, you can pick me up in that SL any day. Absolutely love the car and any girl who drives one.

Happened again tonight, at about 2:30 am heading out to Barry's Pizza, three chicks in a Lexus pull up next to us and ask us to turn up the music, then they follow us to Barry's for some late late night grub ++

SL guys just have more fun. Plain and simple. Hate to say it, but I can't hate.
The 63 is the complete opposite in that regard. It gets a lot attention... from guys, lol. I've only had the car for what, 2 days now and at least 10+ cars have tried to race me. Girls definitely check it out to although it's not exactly the same as the SL, I think they just look over in fear for there lives; this thing sounds ridiculous with the resonators cut
Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Oh Sure Girl. Lets go.

Ok. I found your post.
Getting the boys all stirred up. You go girl.
Your SL550 looks pretty. But we know who is in charge in the power
department.
Next year you got to make the AMG Challenge.
Just think. You could have driven the SLR.