SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Fletcher Jones NB Service Rep Suggestion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
Fletcher Jones NB Service Rep Suggestion?

I'm taking my SL in tomorrow morning for some warranty type things that are hopefully covered under my extended warranty...

does anyone work with a decent service rep over at Fletcher Jones that I should ask for? or even know of a crappy one I should avoid?

Thanks, I appreciate it-
Old 07-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Service Update

Just heard back on my car...

Went in with:

Front Right Turn Signal Not Working (Not bulb, i checked prior)
SRS Dash Light On
Tire Pressure Monitor Not Working
Trunk Lid Assist Not Working
A/C Not Working

Just got the call back. My premium extended warranty that I bought from Fletcher Jones ($4,500) will cover the SRS issue and the Tire pressure monitor.

The A/C needed to be recharged, around $200 to me. understandable.

The trunk assist is not covered, around $400 to me. ok, but i'm a little surprised.

The front turn signal, which is actually the only thing I thought for sure the warranty would cover since it seems like a safety issue and clearly an electrical short coming since the car has only 53k miles on it, requires replacing the entire front light assembly, so around $1800 for the part and a few hundred for labor to me, not covered at all by the extended warranty.

wow, i woke up this morning thinking about picking up a new S class, i loved my old one and I saw a new one when i dropped my car off at the service department, but that call reminded me why i was looking at a non MB.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
You were ripped off...

particularly on the turn signal problem.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM

yep. i passed on them replacing the defective headlight assembly, still can't believe that fletcher jones doesn't think a front turn signal is an important item to have and won't replace an obvious manufacturer defect. I could see if the car was in an accident or I had caused the damage, but i guess 50k miles is just too much mileage for my SL to handle. we'll see what fails next.

not only that, it took a week and when i got the car back there were hundreds (if not thousands) of ants running through it. spent quite a while yesterday vacuuming up those little guys. we'll see if there are more hiding.

oh yeah, almost forgot. they quoted me about $600 to repair the power assisted trunk, i declined as I open the trunk about once a month, they didn't do the work and it miraculously works now. gotta love those guys. haha
Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 PM

2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
Maybe you should try another dealership. Some go to bat for you more than others will. BTW, is the extended warranty through MB? Just wondering. I've had very good service at RAB in San Rafael. I know I'm in northern California but I heard horror stories about MB of SF and won't take my SL there eventhough it's much closer. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Dude. Total FJ crap. I only went in that place once.
They are rude and just a total rip.
$ 600.00 for the trunk assist ? Thats insane.
My CL was fixed for like $ 200.00 when my trunk assist went out last year.

Go over to Caliber/Anaheim Hills. PM me.
I have one of the Managers that I have been taking my 3
cars to for several years. You will get way better service
from them. Better prices and they are much quicker.
Free C Loaner too.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeblah
Just heard back on my car...

Went in with:

Front Right Turn Signal Not Working (Not bulb, i checked prior)
SRS Dash Light On
Tire Pressure Monitor Not Working
Trunk Lid Assist Not Working
A/C Not Working

Just got the call back. My premium extended warranty that I bought from Fletcher Jones ($4,500) will cover the SRS issue and the Tire pressure monitor.

The A/C needed to be recharged, around $200 to me. understandable.

The trunk assist is not covered, around $400 to me. ok, but i'm a little surprised.

The front turn signal, which is actually the only thing I thought for sure the warranty would cover since it seems like a safety issue and clearly an electrical short coming since the car has only 53k miles on it, requires replacing the entire front light assembly, so around $1800 for the part and a few hundred for labor to me, not covered at all by the extended warranty.

wow, i woke up this morning thinking about picking up a new S class, i loved my old one and I saw a new one when i dropped my car off at the service department, but that call reminded me why i was looking at a non MB.
You could find that light assembly very reasonable from a totalled car in a parts lot somewhere.
Maybe they saw you coming and the problem is minor and elsewhere and your lamp is actually fine, so get a second opinion.

Hey, if you get desperate you can always pay some kid 20 bucks to lift it for you from some other mbworld car.
(better not be mine, though!)
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM

2008 m5
i use tony irvani. he's been very helpful, but i do agree that fj can be stupid expensive on certain repairs.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 AM

03 cl500,04 range rover, 04 cayenne turbo, 08 yukon denali
Dan is pretty good at fletcherjones..I also, dealt with a guy named jamie..very polite. I agree that it's a lot more expensive but that's what you get when you go to a dealer in any city... The lease/mortgage on their location is probably 5 times what a suburban shop is...
I guess you pay for the convienence.