SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Question for people who bought an SL550. Why didn't you buy SL55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for people who bought an SL550. Why didn't you buy SL55?

This has always puzzles me and not just regarding the SL550, but most new Mercedes. Why do people buy a brand new Mercedes instead of buying a higher performance version used with only 5,000 miles or so. A lot of people buy the SL550 for around 100,000$ brand spanking new... there was even a thread in the SL55 section about one SL550 owner removing the "0" and putting the AMG sign on his car to make it appear as "SL55 AMG". Now, if you browse ebay right now, there is a 2007 SL55 with 6,000 miles for Buy it Now of 104,000$. Its basically brand new with 6,000 miles and costing as much as SL550. You can buy an 06 SL55 for under 100,000$, cheaper than new SL550. Now why would anyone even consider buying new SL550 instead of a used SL55? Especially why would performance enthusiasts consider buying a much slower car for the same money? We're talking about 6,000 mile old car here.. you can't even call it "used". And some people actual badge their "SL550" as "SL55", so clearly they wanted the 55 but "couldnt afford it".
Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Tuskir
This has always puzzles me and not just regarding the SL550, but most new Mercedes. Why do people buy a brand new Mercedes instead of buying a higher performance version used with only 5,000 miles or so. A lot of people buy the SL550 for around 100,000$ brand spanking new... there was even a thread in the SL55 section about one SL550 owner removing the "0" and putting the AMG sign on his car to make it appear as "SL55 AMG". Now, if you browse ebay right now, there is a 2007 SL55 with 6,000 miles for Buy it Now of 104,000$. Its basically brand new with 6,000 miles and costing as much as SL550. You can buy an 06 SL55 for under 100,000$, cheaper than new SL550. Now why would anyone even consider buying new SL550 instead of a used SL55? Especially why would performance enthusiasts consider buying a much slower car for the same money? We're talking about 6,000 mile old car here.. you can't even call it "used". And some people actual badge their "SL550" as "SL55", so clearly they wanted the 55 but "couldnt afford it".
I'm not going to state my reasons as they are a bit silly, i've had ups and downs in terms of regret, i'm doing ok now though Only about 16 months left

As for the poseurs who buy brand new 550's and rebadge them as 55's, a lot of people don't like buying used cars so they don't consider the 550 less expensive then the 55's I'm pretty sure those dikes don't even want a 55, they just want the image attached to it

Also, a lot of people just don't care for speed.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Most people who buy them new are old people who don't care about speed. The 550 has almost 400 HP stock....which already is going to blow out 98% of the cars it sees. Why pay $45k more for an extra 200 HP that you might need to use the one or two times per year you see a Lambo. Plus....the cars look the exact same with the exception of the rear, basically.

It doesn't make sense to say someone can't afford something when you are downplaying them for buying a......$100,000 car anyways. I love the people with $35k AMG's who try to make fun of people with $80-100k non-AMG's.

I never understood why people wouldn't buy used, either. Especially these cars.....the depreciation is ridiculous. AMG's are that much worse on the high-end ones.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with not knowing the market and not doing enough research before buying the car. People look at the price sticker at their dealer and say "wow I can't afford that!" without actually realizing the market value of these cars. What about all the threads on this and other Mercedes forums where owners want to sell their 1-year old 65's that they bought for 185,000$... thinking they can get maybe 15-20k less, but then realizing they're only worth 120,000$ now?

Like I said earlier, there is a 2007 SL55 on ebay right now for 104,000$ "buy it now", which is basically a brand new car with 130,000$+ MSRP that lost 30k in value the minute it was driven off the dealer lot. Can you really consider a 2007 car "used"? Why not buy that instead of a new SL550 that's maybe 7,000$ cheaper. The only explaination I can think of it lack of knowledge...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 PM

2003 SL500, Lamborghini Gallardo
I didn’t go new, but I can relate to the people that choose a slower version of this car. I bought an 03 SL500 because I am also a proud owner of a Lamborghini Gallardo which blows doors on about everything I have bothered to race. The SL is a phenomenal car I use to commute from OC to LA everyday and I don’t think there is a better convertible out there I would enjoy crawling thru traffic more with.
The car is fast stock. I was also thinking about reliability. I figured that supercharger may take a couple thousand miles of life off the top, especially the way I drive! With the hefty miles I am putting on this car daily, I think I made a wise decision with a 500 rather than a 55.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 155 Likes on 99 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
1. 7spd vs. 5spd auto. The 7spd is smooth a butter. I would consider an SL63 with a 7spd, but not a SL55 with a 5spd.
2. It's fast enough. Car and Driver Test Results: 0-60 in 4.9sec for the 550 vs. 4.5sec for the 55. If I wanted a super fast car, I would have bought a Z06 or 911 turbo.
3. European Delivery - the joy of 254kph with the top down. There is no used SL55 purchase possible for a U.S. spec car in Europe.
4. I personally prefer normally aspirated engines to turbo or supercharger assisted engines. Again, an SL63 would be an option.
5. The new 4 valve per cylinder engine in the 550 vs. the old 3 valve engine. If I actually felt the need for a supercharger/turbo, then I would have a better starting pointy that what AMG had.

The SL55 had some clear advantages over the SL500 in my eyes, but the SL550 has really closed the gap.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 AM

I studied the situation carefully and made a conscious decision to buy a new sl550 sport. I checked performance and overall comparisons, the 550 managed first place often and at 4.8 sec zero to sixty to boot.

A used 55amg? "now why is that car for sale after only 6,000 miles? Perhaps its a lemon!"
And for those quick-sellers that had pre-planned an early sale, no point in babying a car you're not going to keep right, might as well put the pedal to the medal from the get go, who cares if the blower craps out at 10,000 miles.
Besides, the best car to buy is always the one engineered as it stands, as opposed to loaded up with taxing gizmos like superchargers. They can reduce the life of your engine, cause it to run hot and wear more quickly.
The more parts the more to go wrong and the more expensive to fix.

Also everyone in the know will be challenging you with that amg badge on your trunk lid. Who needs that (unless your 20-something).

Also the 07 cars are much improved, ride and run and stop like a dream.

Have you ever had the experience of buying a never-driven car? Sitting in it there in the showroom, the feel and smell, knowing you will know it completely and be its good master.

And if you go to sell it some day, well dont you know that 1-owner cars are easy to move?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
We bought a new 06 SL500 with AMG trim and tires because we wanted to move up from our 01 SLK320, which we enjoyed very much. When we saw the SL550 50th Edition in pewter with the cognac interior and 382 horses we traded because we liked the color combination. You can't get that combo any other way and we had all the power we needed with the SL550.
It is not always about power. If that were the case then there might be an SL65 in our garage.
If you have driven both an 06 and an 07 then you know the difference in engine and transmission feel/comfort. The SL55, as you know is also much different.
Every once in a while we take out the 67 Corvette for a spin, but that is a completely different drive due to old technology in the suspension.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Originally Posted by allminesl550
I studied the situation carefully and made a conscious decision to buy a new sl550 sport. I checked performance and overall comparisons, the 550 managed first place often and at 4.8 sec zero to sixty to boot.

A used 55amg? "now why is that car for sale after only 6,000 miles? Perhaps its a lemon!"
And for those quick-sellers that had pre-planned an early sale, no point in babying a car you're not going to keep right, might as well put the pedal to the medal from the get go, who cares if the blower craps out at 10,000 miles.
Besides, the best car to buy is always the one engineered as it stands, as opposed to loaded up with taxing gizmos like superchargers. They can reduce the life of your engine, cause it to run hot and wear more quickly.
The more parts the more to go wrong and the more expensive to fix.

Also everyone in the know will be challenging you with that amg badge on your trunk lid. Who needs that (unless your 20-something).

Also the 07 cars are much improved, ride and run and stop like a dream.

Have you ever had the experience of buying a never-driven car? Sitting in it there in the showroom, the feel and smell, knowing you will know it completely and be its good master.

And if you go to sell it some day, well dont you know that 1-owner cars are easy to move?
I am going to bet you did not get any seat time in a late model SL55.

A close friend of mine "SL-Chick" has a new 2007 SL550. After she drove my
SL55 she was really having buyers regret. I could have got an "AMG".
Yes the supercharger is an extra device. But having the handmade engine
made with the best quality parts. Also the suspension and the brakes
are so much finer on the AMG model. Very different car indeed.
AMG engineering is the entire engine and suspension and brakes.
Its not slapping some gear on a stock SL.

I am 50 something. And yes the AMG badge does get some reaction from
ricers and mustangs attempting to get eaten. You learn after a few weeks to ignore them.

Yes a new car is nice. But a 1 owner AMG is still an AMG. I am sure driving your SL makes you smile. Driving a 500HP SL really will make that smile very
large indeed.

Enjoy your SL !!!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by bltserv

ricers and mustangs attempting to get eaten. You learn after a few weeks to ignore them.

Yes a new car is nice. But a 1 owner AMG is still an AMG. I am sure driving your SL makes you smile. Driving a 500HP SL really will make that smile very
large indeed.

Enjoy your SL !!!
I can't agree with you more; well said. I am 60 something and the big smile that the 55 engines put on my face is about the only thing that works consistenly anymore.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by bltserv

large indeed.

Enjoy your SL !!!
I can't agree with you more; well said. I am 60 something and the big smile that the 55 engines put on my face is about the only body part that works consistenly anymore.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

O9 SL63, 08 Ferrari 612OTO, 08 Maserati Granturismo (SOLD), 07 CLS550 (SOLD), 07 SL55 (SOLD)
My job as taxi cab driver would only allow me to spend 100K. on mine. I perfer new verus used. Too old that I need to worry about the rice burners. Would perfer other choices if I really only need the speed. It wouldn't be a Mercedes SL anyway. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM

19 G550, 19 X3
If one is considering used, then why not an SL65?

On ebay tonight: 2006 SL65 8K mi, Buy it Now $127k. Less than the cost of a new SL55.

Now this may be offensive to the AMG crowd, but I would have considered an SL450 if MB offered one. The 4.6L engine with 335hp should be good for 0-60 in less than 5.5 sec. Of course, one would be able buy a used 500 for the same price.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 PM

a review fyi

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
Starting MSRP $94,800 – $186,000

Expert Reviews

By Mark Glover
The Sacramento Bee
November 3, 2006
Stepping into the $104,000 Mercedes-Benz SL550 roadster for the first time, I wondered why anyone would pay so much for a car.

An hour later, I was trying to come up with a financial plan to buy the 2007 road-burner.

Fat chance. I have no more business contemplating a savings-draining purchase of this sleek rocket than I would stand a chance of making contact with a Roger Clemens fastball.

The gasoline alone is a killer -- premium blend, with tepid fuel economy ratings of 14 miles per gallon in the city and 22 mpg on the highway, plus a $1,700 gas guzzler tax on the sticker. Ouch!

But, of course, those who buy SL550s don't worry about such trivial matters as fuel prices. They just want the tank filled pronto with top-grade go-juice, the quicker to get back to enjoying the SL550's considerable performance charms.

After a week in the two-seater with its retractable hardtop, I'd say performance is the overwhelming reason for writing a six-figure check at the dealership.

The exquisitely tuned 5.5-liter V-8 engine has 382 horsepower, which might not raise that many eyebrows in this high-horsepower era. But 391 foot-pounds of torque arriving at less than 3,000 revolutions per minute get the heart racing.

The SL550 delivers the kind of response that's so instantaneous that "driving" really doesn't quite describe it. Like a laser-guided dart, the car seemingly teleports you from Point A to Point B.

It's an incredible rush, but not as big as when someone is tailgating you in heavy freeway traffic approaching a sharp turn. In the SL550, you just keep your foot in it and let the stability systems and rock-solid multi-link front/rear suspensions do the rest. Bye-bye, tailgater.

Ever wonder why Mercedes-Benz sports car devotees are so cocky? That's why.

The SL550's exterior look for 2007 is all intimidation, with a flying wedge shape, a three-horizontal-bar grille, 10-spoke alloy wheels hugging the performance tires and a deeper front air dam.

Naturally, folding the power hardtop into the vehicle's rear with a flick of the wrist wows bystanders. Just be sure to have the engine running and let the retracting process finish before letting go of the hardtop control in the center console.

The first time I made the hardtop retreat, I let go too soon. Thankfully, I spotted the not-yet-flattened decklid before taking the SL550 out for a run, thus avoiding a hideous scenario of too much air getting under the decklid at high speed.

Happily, besides performance, the tester had oh-so-much more to justify its lofty sticker price.

The lengthy list of standard comfort/convenience features included such opulent goodies as premium leather, hand-polished hardwood trim, 12-way power adjustable seats with pneumatic lumbar supports, eight-speaker Bose audio system with surround sound, premium navigation system, Sirius Satellite Radio (with the first six months of service free) and a hands-free communications system.

The tester had an optional equipment package that included a sunshade in the roof, ventilated seats and super-penetrating fog lamps.

How about safety? I can't think of a more comprehensive package on a two-seater. The short list of features included front/rear crumple zones, dual-stage front air bags, head-thorax side-impact air bags, a driver's knee air bag, an electrohydraulic braking system and a roll bar that automatically pops up when sensors detect an imminent rollover.

What's not to like? Well, forget about baggage. You may need to literally forget about it when the hardtop is safely hiding in the SL550's back end. With that configuration, you have to choose between a small suitcase or your right-seat passenger. There's no room for both.

Another drawback: While you can zip around 18-wheel trucks and gigantic sport-utility vehicles when the highway is clear, you'll be stuck in line among those big brutes during rush-hour commutes. And because you sit so low in the SL550, you'll feel like an ant waiting to get stomped by a size 22 shoe.

Yeah, the SL550's extensive safety package makes you feel a bit more secure during these moments.

All in all, this peak performer is a blast and a veritable steal compared with its pricier sibling, the 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG roadster with a 604-horsepower V-12. That one lists for $186,000.

Hmmm, 604 horsepower. Maybe if I start saving today ...
Old 08-11-2007, 06:24 PM

2007 SL550
Simple

As for buying a new 550 vs a used 55, it's simple...given the choice, I'll choose the virgin every time. I know the limits of her experience and how she was treated from day one
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Damn guys I just feel lucky to own my 2003 Extended 3 year CPO protects me from the unforseen expenses of such a complex vehicle and it looks like a new SL to 98% of the people out there. Sure if I was worth more I would have newer and nicer, but everyone has their own reasons. Share the love with your fellow owners.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:12 PM

CLS63, GLK350
SL550 has superior engine design. DOHC and latest design upgrades. The SL55 has a old engine design that AMG beefs up, not a bad thing but if someone wants a fast car they can buy a new base Vette for $55K and blow the doors off a SL55. This could be a reason to buy the SL550, that was one of mine.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:56 PM

'08 SL55
I think a lot of it has to do with not knowing the market and not doing enough research before buying the car. People look at the price sticker at their dealer and say "wow I can't afford that!" without actually realizing the market value of these cars. What about all the threads on this and other Mercedes forums where owners want to sell their 1-year old 65's that they bought for 185,000$... thinking they can get maybe 15-20k less, but then realizing they're only worth 120,000$ now?

Like I said earlier, there is a 2007 SL55 on ebay right now for 104,000$ "buy it now", which is basically a brand new car with 130,000$+ MSRP that lost 30k in value the minute it was driven off the dealer lot. Can you really consider a 2007 car "used"? Why not buy that instead of a new SL550 that's maybe 7,000$ cheaper. The only explaination I can think of it lack of knowledge...
There's another explanation. It's that not everybody focuses on the price as our only factor. I liked the SL55, I got it. Done. No used car on E-Bay where the history and reason for selling are arguable. From the dealer, brand new. Every car depreciates, some more than others. Lack of knowledge? No. If your argument were true, we'd all be driving Civics. In fact, your comment is a bit comical. You see, it's my knowledge that led me to have a job where I can afford this car.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
SL550 has superior engine design. DOHC and latest design upgrades. The SL55 has a old engine design that AMG beefs up, not a bad thing but if someone wants a fast car they can buy a new base Vette for $55K and blow the doors off a SL55. This could be a reason to buy the SL550, that was one of mine.
Wanna race for pink slips? Your new engine design versus my old one.

Last edited by teeth; 02-03-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by teeth
If I wanted to race for pinks I would of bought a ZO6 and you would lose big time. Enjoy your SL55 you have a great looking car that is also very fast. Mine goes as fast as I want to go and it has the technology that I wanted. Guess we are both happy. Glad you have a great job and can afford your SL55. I have you beat on that one. I don't work and can afford one.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM

19 G550, 19 X3
Let's see:
First race: Your SL55($$$ - old engine[virtually abandoned by AMG] plus supercharger) vs SL550 ($$ - new engine without the supercharger) - You win a SL550
Second race: Your SL55 ($$$) vs Z06 ($) - You lose an SL55

I doubt anyone who bought an SL550 had any intentions of racing for pinks as part of their decision to buy. I also doubt many SL55 drivers would be racing for pinks, especially since you don't get to look under the hood of your competitor - a little bit of NOS plus a limited slip and a 550 beats you to the line.

Personally, I considered both the SL55 & SL600, but found the SL550 to be fast enough. After all, I got to cruise down the Autobahn at an indicated 157mph with the top down, an experience not shared by many of my fellow stateside SL drivers - AMG or not.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 AM

19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I don't work and can afford one.
Ouch, that hurts! I still have a couple of decades left before retirement.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Teeth, I'll Let You Race My SL55 Against Any Z06, This Way We Can Rotate Weekends With The Z06.
Oh, What Am I Saying?
You Can Have The Z06, I Have An SL55 AMG!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 AM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by Havoc
Teeth, I'll Let You Race My SL55 Against Any Z06, This Way We Can Rotate Weekends With The Z06.
Oh, What Am I Saying?
You Can Have The Z06, I Have An SL55 AMG!
Me too. I have an '08 SL55.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Me too. I have an '08 SL55.
I Have An Idea!
We'll Take The Z06, Put A Small Block Ford Engine In It, and Sell It To A Jeep Dealer For $10!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Question for people who bought an SL550. Why didn't you buy SL55?