SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2007 SL Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl30
Originally Posted by jbondox
Anyways it is a ^1/2 and a 4" in the lower door tweets up top... the bad thing is the position of the gear in relationship to the driver or listner... whatever they want to call themselves. anyways if you went with the 6/4/tweet setup, the 4's are aimed too low and too fwd, plus your whole left leg blocks the left side and you feel every midbass reproduction on your leg, so it takes away from the enjoyment

Then if you use the factory tweet position, it is way to far from the mids, plus needs to be attenuated like 6-9db's... best place would be in the A pillars.

Then if you just did a regular component set, and mount the tweeters where the 4 was, well your stage will be way too low

So basically it takes more than a rues system...
Mine has 6.5" next to what looks like a 3" (could be 4 but need to check) But I actually have my tweeters in between the two and not up top. Must be different on the Uk cars.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by newpond
Mine has 6.5" next to what looks like a 3" (could be 4 but need to check) But I actually have my tweeters in between the two and not up top. Must be different on the Uk cars.

you are right I slipped, I looked at the video again,

http://www.esotericsoundandperforman...5amg_build.wmv

tweets were placed in the A-pillars because they were low on the door from the factory. i thought they were in the sail panels... too many Porsches i guess during the day
Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl30
it apears that my command system doesnt have an extra amp on it. I have traced the wires from the speakers and they apear to go directly to the head unit.
So I have been out and bought a genesis amp and speakers to go with the cleansweep and got some spare door clips coming from merc when the inevitable happens.
I have decided to mount the cleansweep in the cubby behind the seats and amp under the kick plate in the passenger footwell. The amp is very slim so it should fit nicely.
I will try to remember to take some pics through out the install.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Originally Posted by jbondox
you are right I slipped, I looked at the video again,

http://www.esotericsoundandperforman...5amg_build.wmv

tweets were placed in the A-pillars because they were low on the door from the factory. i thought they were in the sail panels... too many Porsches i guess during the day
The install in the SL65 is stellar. Can you tell me what comand software is in the SL? It appears to have a 3d view? I also see the rockford 3sixty, is it better then the cleansweep and new alpine version.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
What's wrong with MB that they can't get a descent factory sound system in the car? This same discussion is going on on the GL forum.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by mprsev
The install in the SL65 is stellar. Can you tell me what comand software is in the SL? It appears to have a 3d view? I also see the rockford 3sixty, is it better then the cleansweep and new alpine version.

Thanks!

I don't know what command software that is, the vehicle was purchased in December. the Rockford 360 is a great piece, cleansweep is also. The 360.2 was used because of the EQ, and i can make the adjustments, after everything was put away... I just used the front 30 bands of EQ and the 7 or so for the woofer. plus time alignment and crossovers. The Alpine piece, well it was introduced 2 years ago and still hasn't been released, to be completely honest I am giving up on Alpine.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by WordSmith
What's wrong with MB that they can't get a descent factory sound system in the car? This same discussion is going on on the GL forum.
BMW, Lexus, Maseratti, ETC has a crap sound system also... basically the manu's think they can rely on Bose, HK, ML, and several others to use a built in processor to make the sound better. it is louder but lacks all the basics that makes sound, sound good
Old 10-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
I guess I'll just have to look after-market. Thanks for your input.