SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2007 SL Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
2007 SL Stereo Upgrade

Like many of you, I was disappointed with the performance of the factory Bose stereo system in my new SL550. No bass response at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a teenager with a craving for bass that pisses off everyone you pull up next to at a stoplight, but the system needs to have SOME bass response. So, I visited Custom Sounds here in San Antonio and they configured a system for me that would add what I was looking for. Just a reasonable amount of low end with as close to a factory appearance as possible. I'm telling you, they produced!

I started with them just adding a couple of 6 inch subs behind the driver seat in the cubby hole where the changer is located. They relocated the changer as you can see, but made a cover for it so that it looked really nice. I really wanted them to put the subs on the other side, but there is a fuse block under the other cubby that would have been problematic to relocate.

It sounded really nice and added what I had been looking for. However, I found myself having to fiddle with the level control on the subs a lot because on some music they sounded perfect and others they needed to be turned up or down. I figure this has to do with the capabilities of 6 inch subs to reproduce bass and they way each song is recorded, but hell if I know

So, I decided that it would be worth the extra investment to have them upgrade the door speakers and add a couple of 10 inch subs under the floor of the trunk where the spare would be (who needs a spare with run-flats anyway, right?). All I can say is WOW! The system sounds perfect. Not too much, but perfectly ample. Crystal clear sound with the bass response that the factory system lacked. All this with the factory head unit (using a JL Cleansweep to correct the signal inputs). If you have a stereo shop in your area that is trustworthy, I highly recommend the upgrade (at least the 6 inchers).
Attached Thumbnails 2007 SL Stereo Upgrade-p8250005.gif   2007 SL Stereo Upgrade-p8250006.gif   2007 SL Stereo Upgrade-p8250007.gif   2007 SL Stereo Upgrade-p8250008.gif   2007 SL Stereo Upgrade-p8250009.gif  

Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 AM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
I have a 2003 SL and i love the stereo system. I think it has alot base and sounds nice. Did they change the new stereos in the 2007?? I have a harmon kardon stereo in my G55 and I think it sucks that lacks base really bad.

p.s your system is awesome....how much did it run you???
Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 PM

2007 SL550
Yeah, I'm not sure what year, but they did change it. I have heard many say that the SL system used to sound great. The initial system with the 6 inch JLs and box with an Alpine PDX amp was 1400. To add the Focal separates, another PDX amp, the Cleansweep, 2 JL 10W3s and build the trunk enclosure was another 3100, so 4500 total.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks for reporting.
Ive been fairly satisfied with the sound system in my 07, Ive got just about all the options on the car so maybe there is a difference in equipment between our systems, that may explain it.
Im not sure I understand exactly, are you saying before the change you would turn the bass up all the way and that still was not enough for you?
I run the bass not quite all the way up and with my music it does the trick.
Any higher than that and I worry about attracting too much attention.
But I agree at times it would be nice to have like a LOUD button (why did they do away with that?) for short burts of bass.
I think it depends alot on the music one listens too.

Thats got to be unbelievable now. Good for you, enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM

What a nice, clean job they did.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 AM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
Looks like it came from the factory that way. Very nice indeed. There are a few songs that I would love to hear on your setup.
Just got back from a concert in Raleigh tonight featuring Foreigner, Styx and Def Leppard. They had some great bass going on.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Nice mix of bands, Do they still "have it", or, just Goodenuf?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
http://www.esotericsoundandperforman...view_album.php

talk about looking factory....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 PM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
Foreigner souded as great as they did the last time I saw them in 1987. As you may know their drummer is Jason Bonham, son of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham. He did a great job. Tommy Shaw still can hit it for Styx and they were as good as ever. Def Leppard was the best. For their last song they did a long version of Rock of Ages. It was awesome.
I hope this doesn't sound off topic. I am just trying to say that these three groups would be a great test for any stereo.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM

sl30
seperates in front

Hi,
Do you know what the focal seperate model numbers/sizes were please??

I have just bought a clean sweep to go in mine, do you know where they positioned yours and the amp?

rgds
Jon
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 PM

2007 SL550
The model on the speakers is 165 KF. They installed them in the factory locations in the door. They had to make a custom mount for the tweeter since the factory ones are 3 inch. The amps are in the trunk on the right side. You can see them under the custom panel they made in the pics I posted.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 AM

2003 SL500, Lamborghini Gallardo
Looks great!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 AM

sl30
I went to my sound dealer yesterday to discuss the install and they wanted over £500 (over $1000) to install the front speakers, the amp and the clean sweep. I had thought I would tackle this job myself as I have done many an install in the past but not for many years and things seem to have moved on a bit.
From what I gather the speaker grills in the front door dont come off with out the whole door card and then I will need custom speaker pods made up as they dont seem to be listed anywhere for the SL. The door cards alone look like a 2 day job to get on and off.

Then on top of this apparently the SL has a fibre optic link to an amp that I will need to connect to....that I cant even find.
Can anyone give me any pointers or should I give up the project, sell the cleansweep on ebay and live with rubbish sound!!! (I would like to point out at this point it is not a case of me being tight and not wanting to pay the dealer but as I change my car every 6 months to a year it seems like a bit of a waste!)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rgds
JOn
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by newpond
I went to my sound dealer yesterday to discuss the install and they wanted over £500 (over $1000) to install the front speakers, the amp and the clean sweep. I had thought I would tackle this job myself as I have done many an install in the past but not for many years and things seem to have moved on a bit.
From what I gather the speaker grills in the front door dont come off with out the whole door card and then I will need custom speaker pods made up as they dont seem to be listed anywhere for the SL. The door cards alone look like a 2 day job to get on and off.

Then on top of this apparently the SL has a fibre optic link to an amp that I will need to connect to....that I cant even find.
Can anyone give me any pointers or should I give up the project, sell the cleansweep on ebay and live with rubbish sound!!! (I would like to point out at this point it is not a case of me being tight and not wanting to pay the dealer but as I change my car every 6 months to a year it seems like a bit of a waste!)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rgds
JOn
The grilles do pop off very easily and you don't need to remove the door panels. The only thing you will need to do is cut 2 pieces of MDF, Masonite, or some other press board into 3 inch circles to mount the tweeters on. The 6.5 inch mids mount right into the factory holes.

You don't connect to the fiberoptic inputs, you connect to the factory amp's outputs to go into the cleansweep. It takes the amplified signal and turns it back into a very clean preamp output. Once you have it all connected, you will need the calibration CD for the cleansweep. Not sure if it comes with the unit or if you have to get it from the stereo shop.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 AM

sl30
Originally Posted by th550
The grilles do pop off very easily and you don't need to remove the door panels. The only thing you will need to do is cut 2 pieces of MDF, Masonite, or some other press board into 3 inch circles to mount the tweeters on. The 6.5 inch mids mount right into the factory holes.

You don't connect to the fiberoptic inputs, you connect to the factory amp's outputs to go into the cleansweep. It takes the amplified signal and turns it back into a very clean preamp output. Once you have it all connected, you will need the calibration CD for the cleansweep. Not sure if it comes with the unit or if you have to get it from the stereo shop.
I have managed to get my grills off and seen the setup underneath.
I appear to have a 6.5", a 3" and a tweeter in my door.
What I cant see though is any way to actually get these speakers out as they are screwed from the other side which does mean taking the door panel off.

I have a factory command system installed and my understanding is that there is a fibre link to an amp that then connects to the speakers. This is where I need to connect the cleansweep I guess. Do you know where the standard amp is installed so I know where to break into the speaker wires?

I bought my Cleansweep in the US (and shiped back to UK) and the CD was actually missing but should have a new one being shipped this week.

thanks in advance.

rgds
Jon
Old 09-16-2007, 02:26 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by newpond
I have managed to get my grills off and seen the setup underneath.
I appear to have a 6.5", a 3" and a tweeter in my door.
What I cant see though is any way to actually get these speakers out as they are screwed from the other side which does mean taking the door panel off.

I have a factory command system installed and my understanding is that there is a fibre link to an amp that then connects to the speakers. This is where I need to connect the cleansweep I guess. Do you know where the standard amp is installed so I know where to break into the speaker wires?

I bought my Cleansweep in the US (and shiped back to UK) and the CD was actually missing but should have a new one being shipped this week.

thanks in advance.

rgds
Jon
I'll have to check with Custom Sounds on the speaker removal. I was pretty sure they did not remove the panels, but now you have me wondering.

That is correct on the factory layout. The amp is behind the right seat under the cubby that does not have the changer in it (not sure if UK models are reversed or not). It's easy to spot...just look for the box with the heatsink (fins) on it.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM

sl30
If you could check that would be really appreciated. In the mean time I will check with my main dealer as to where they hid my amp! My changer is located in the cubby behind the passenger seat (behind your drivers seat) and the box on the right which is much shallower and has the hatch in it only seems to have fuses and relays under it.

Do you know if they replaced the speaker wires to your system or just used the standard ones?

I actually tried the CD changer for the first time today and it all sounds aweful on standard equipment.
cheers
Jon
Old 09-16-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
you have to remove the panels. there was a build up video of the 65 from esoteric on the above link, it showed a rebuilt pod for the 6.5" MB Quart that was later replaced with a JL Audio ZR component system.

$1000 for a properly installed audio system is well worth it when compared to having the greatest gear and a poor install. regardless if you change vehicles. seriously do you have the shop telling you how to do your job because the google'd it?

it takes knowledge in acoustics, fabrication, electrical, automotive, not to mention talent to get it right.

Last edited by jbondox; 09-16-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 AM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
maybe you should just use the best out therehttp://www.reusaudio.com/
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by sporters78
That would be an interesting drive from England.

Newpond, yes that cubby where the fuses are is where it is. Underneath it towards the outside of the car mounted vertically on a bracket. Custom Sounds mounted the cleansweep right next to it.

They ran new speaker wire from the doors back to the trunk where the amps are mounted.

I'll be by there today to find out on the speakers, but it sounds like jbondox has answered that already. I'll find out how they come off if that is the case.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM

sl30
th550, that would be great. I will have a route around again tomorrow and see if I can find that amp.
The bits that were missing from my Cleansweep have just arrived via UPS today so keen to get moving or give up.

I know what you are saying Jbondox re the install costs but whilst I like good sounds, I dont like them enough to blow install costs of $1000 a time possibly every 6 months. Maybe when I find the perfect car I will splash out on a pro install, but untill then.....

I used to install good systems in my cars a few years ago with very good effect but just dont seem to be able to find the time to put into it these days...must be getting old!

In the good old days you could could just flip the grills off and replace the drivers but now there's hidden screws everywhere and half the car has to come apart!! As an engineer by trade these things dont scare me but as I always say, If you are going to do a job, do it properly ..as long as it doesnt take too long ;-)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater

Reus wouldn't know good sound it if came up and kicked him in the nuts.... Please get out more. Anyone in Atlanta that wants to demo what a real good audio system sounds like let me know, or just go by audio designs of atlanta and ask for Jeff Smith, he builds Sound Quality cars for a living... I mean national SQ cars for a living... Reus, I had a good laugh though... hold on let me say Bose... I needed to continue laughing...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Anyways it is a ^1/2 and a 4" in the lower door tweets up top... the bad thing is the position of the gear in relationship to the driver or listner... whatever they want to call themselves. anyways if you went with the 6/4/tweet setup, the 4's are aimed too low and too fwd, plus your whole left leg blocks the left side and you feel every midbass reproduction on your leg, so it takes away from the enjoyment

Then if you use the factory tweet position, it is way to far from the mids, plus needs to be attenuated like 6-9db's... best place would be in the A pillars.

Then if you just did a regular component set, and mount the tweeters where the 4 was, well your stage will be way too low

So basically it takes more than a rues system...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise

sure... or you could get a system that actually sounds good...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by th550
...However, I found myself having to fiddle with the level control on the subs a lot because on some music they sounded perfect and others they needed to be turned up or down. I figure this has to do with the capabilities of 6 inch subs to reproduce bass and they way each song is recorded, but hell if I know

this is a fairly common occurance with small sports cars... not alot of room in the vehicle... someone recommends 6.5" subs. owner lies to himself for a little while and pretends that bass is actually being produced... finally comes to senses... gets 10" sub(s)... happiness!

it is *very* difficult to get anything smaller than a 10" to reproduce bass in any acceptable way. 8" woofers can be done by an experienced designer with a very efficient enclosure but 6" is a waste of time. personally i prefer 10" minimum in convertibles because of the losses due to the vehicle transfer function when the top is down .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: 2007 SL Stereo Upgrade