SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Distronic opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL550
Distronic opinions?

I'm expecting a second quarter '03 build slot for my SL500 and am wondering whether to spec Distronic as an option. Being somewhat a techno-geek I think the idea of adaptive cruise control is pretty cool, and other marques (Jaguar, Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, etc.) are following MB's lead on this. However much to my surprise, my dealer has really discouraged me from ordering this since "everyone who orders it hates it and complains about it". Although I don't know anyone personally who has adaptive cruise, this conflicts with a lot of what I've read in the automotive press. I make frequent road trips to see my family on a light-to-moderate traffic interstate and think that Distronic might be a good addition to my SL. The negative I see at this point is that it does slightly mar the front of the car since it requires that the traditional tristar emblem be solid rather than hollow.

I'm interested in any opinions of those who have this option on their SL. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I have heard Distronic works good. Not too many compalints. However, I would personally not choose to option my car with it as I HATE the look of the solid star and would rarely if ever use the option myself.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I decided against it not just because of the appearance issue but also because I think it would lull me into a false sense of security.
It is adaptive but in a situation where the car needs to slow quicker than the 20% maximum retardation of the Distronic, you'd better be ready to react.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Hey Guys,

Im ordering an SL500 soon, and was considering distronic. What exactly to you mean by a hollow vs solid star?? Any pics of the two?? Thanks
Old 11-03-2002, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
We're talking about the Mercedes Benz star set into the radiator grille. On cars without Distronic, the black spaces between the "spokes" is open and the star is just like it was on the older 129 series. On cars with Distronic, it's filled in by segments of a black plastic dome and the whole emblem has a bulbous shiny appearance which you may or may not think spoils the appearance of the front of the car.

Behind this is the radar antenna which Distronic uses to detect vehicles in front, it has much longer range than the ultra-sonic sensors used for Parktronic.

About the only reason I can think of to have Distronic is because it fills out two otherwise unused switched positions around the shift lever. Another good reason would be if it jammed police radar but I think that's unlikely!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
See: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=5895 for pictures of a star with distronic and one without.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
if u want distronic take it.. its kinda cool but u do get that bubble dome thingy..
Old 11-04-2002, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
I have distronic on my S500 and it’s specified for the SL55 I have on order. It’s a neat gadget that works pretty well on the interstate as long as the traffic isn’t to heavy. Its main problem is that it insists on staying a safe distance behind the next car. In the Boston area where I live, obnoxious drivers will cut in front of you to fill that gap, causing distronic to apply the breaks and back you up into the driver on your tail.

I thought I’d get distronic on the SL55 to help me watch my speed on longer trips and save a ticket or two.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Even without Distronic, the SL55 has normal cruise control, including a speed limiter to help protect your licence. The speed limit can be temporary or semi-permanent, for example, when running on snow tyres during the winter season.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:19 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Some how buying a car like this and getting Distronc seems all wrong!
Old 11-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Almost a Member!

S-500 Lorinser, 540 Alpina, 512BBI, C-270 CDI Lorinser, Disco 2.5TDI, 2003 SL-500
Originally posted by mookie
Some how buying a car like this and getting Distronc seems all wrong!
I agree, but the same applies to ESP, BAS, ABC, ABS, A/T, and the rest of the alphabet.

Driving this car is not like driving a 930 Turbo in the wet, where you actually need some skill and and reasonably fast reflexes for a good thrill.

Current R230s (like previous SLs) are targeted at a more mature market, and the septa- and octagenerians require all the aids that can be mustered. It's a car that can make you act and look half your age, though.

I agree that the steering wheel shift buttons on this car are a marketing gimmick, no better than Tiptronic, Steptronic or Tip-shift. It remains an autobox, unlike SMG, Ferrari system or even Selespeed. You're leaving so much to the computer that you might as well leave it to change its own gears.

Imho the price premium between SL500 and SL55 cannot be justified, as the extra performance obtained is merely overridden by the electronics in the lower gears. The standard 500 is more than enough for me, though the 19" AMG 2-pcs really make this car look good - a huge improvement on the standard 7-spokers with which the car is delivered.

Just hope the electronics don't give any problems. I've had the instrument cluster module, the right front door module and the central console radio display pack up on my '99 S-500 within the first 2 years, notwithstanding the fact that the car came fully assembled from Germany. Oh yes, also the pneumatic suspension pump. All replaced foc by DC.

Regards
Old 11-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
rest of the alphabet.. hahah

this car rocks! get distronic.. its cool!!