SL/R230: Exhaust Mod.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 R230
Exhaust Mod.

Hello, new here, so this is my first post, also my first Mercedes and I've just given it it's first mod. Not much compared to some of you guys but it's a start.

Only 2 weeks into ownership but really dissapointed with the exhaust note. I had to take the engine top cover off to make sure it was a V8, sounded more like a six.

Checked out posts on exhaust mods but didn't want to play around with the cats so settled on replacement silencers (mufflers) but wanted to retain the original oval tips, not so easy.

Okay so when you're a little bored, you've got a shiney SL and a garage full of heavy duty tools what are you going to do? What's the worst that could happen apart from a little blood loss which to me has always been acceptable and usually inevitable when breaking out the power tools.

First off I removed the silencers and of course gave in to the temptation to give it a run around the block. It was fun but way too loud and I didn't think the sound suited the car. This showed me I was going to need to fit a silencer of some sort.

I wanted to see what was going on in the original silencer so never one to ignore my curiosity I let loose with the angle grinder. Once I'd opened it up it was clear to see why the silencer was so restrictive.

Well that lot had to go, so I cut out the internal pipework.

Next I linked the inlet and outlets with a perforated tube then packed the body of the silencer with wadding, didn't get any pics of this as I didn't want to get any more blood on the camera, finally welded it all back up and refitted.

Now I've got an SL that can be quiet and refiined below 2,000rpm but with a great rumble through the rest of the rev range and sounds good in a refined sort of way. Not too loud but you know it's there.

Acceleration feels more urgent and the engine picks up better, although the fuel consumption has gone down the pan but that's probably because I've had it locked in third and enjoying the rumble.
David
Never ignore an urge to take something apart, you never know you may be able to put it back together again as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
well, i dont know what to say, if it works, then your the man, and its not a bad idea of doing this, just most would not do it i guess, what did u pack the silencer with?

ALi
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Well.......Now that you have a bit better sound, its time to improve the car's power, throttle response, broaden the power band.........and last but not least.......get rid of that pesky speed limiter!

We can help!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Almost a Member!

SL500 R230
Ali, well it sees to work just fine for me, may not be loud enough for some but I've come from a TVR Cerbera and that was ear splittingly loud so wanted something a little more subtle. Packed it with stuff called E Glass which is standard silencer packing. Know what you mean about most not wanting to do it but it's only a silencer and could be easily replaced if it all went wrong.
Dino, all sounds very interesting, increasing and widening power are phrases that get your attention. So what do you do to release a little extra?
Thanks
David
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Porsche 996 (300Hp) Powered Boxster/ Audi A6 Station Wagon
Great job and fine way to present yourself in a first post .
It´s a shame you don´t have the remaining pictures with final job done.

J.Seven
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by UKSilverArrow
Ali, well it sees to work just fine for me, may not be loud enough for some but I've come from a TVR Cerbera and that was ear splittingly loud so wanted something a little more subtle. Packed it with stuff called E Glass which is standard silencer packing. Know what you mean about most not wanting to do it but it's only a silencer and could be easily replaced if it all went wrong.
Dino, all sounds very interesting, increasing and widening power are phrases that get your attention. So what do you do to release a little extra?
Thanks
David
David:

We have been specializing in ECU remapping. I have put together a very good team of software writers...for instance our AMG/MB writer was employed by MB for 10years. I do alot of the development work myself....as far as the driving goes.

We are remapping the air/fuel/timing, as well as some other specific parameters for each particuar engine. The 500 set up we have brings out the breadth of the power band, and really increases the throttle response. Overall, it really improves the sporting character of the car, without making it brutal.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
MacGyver.....!
Way to stay with it.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 R230
Thanks Dino, like the sound of the ECU upgrade, don't think my wallet wants to do "brutal" right now but it's always good to have some options for the future. I'm UK based so may prove a little tricky, didn't notice a private jet in your fleet so I guess you won't be stopping buy with your lap top. Although the jet seems to be the only thing you're missing. Very impressive especially the 916 which I'm finding really tempting right now.
There never seems to be much in the way of tuning for Mercedes in the UK but I'll keep looking anyway.
David
Old 11-13-2007, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UKSilverArrow
Thanks Dino, like the sound of the ECU upgrade, don't think my wallet wants to do "brutal" right now but it's always good to have some options for the future. I'm UK based so may prove a little tricky, didn't notice a private jet in your fleet so I guess you won't be stopping buy with your lap top. Although the jet seems to be the only thing you're missing. Very impressive especially the 916 which I'm finding really tempting right now.
There never seems to be much in the way of tuning for Mercedes in the UK but I'll keep looking anyway.
David
We actually have clients from all over the world. In your case, you would have to send us your ECU. The turn around time is 1-2 days. So your baby won't be down for very long!

Also...given the current exchange rate, we are a huge bargain for you! The weak dollar has brought us alot of non US business.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500 R230
Here's a sound clip of the exhaust mod, I made it by hanging a mic out of the boot just above the exhaust so it's artificially loud. I'd estimate only about 25% of the volume is audible from inside the car with the windows rolled down so it's not massively louder than standard.
http://www.gardner-property.co.uk/SL500soundclip
David