SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Use iPhone w/ Aux input for speaker phone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
Use iPhone w/ Aux input for speaker phone?

does anyone use the Aux input w/ an MP3 player?

I was wondering if I used my iPhone through that input and a call came in would i end up hearing the caller through the car speakers?

i am assuming so, but before i head out and hunt down the adapter, i thought i would check.

thanks

EDIT:

Just realized the iPhone earpieces have a microphone...

Last edited by mikeblah; 12-30-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benz SL55 AMG, Jag XJR
DONT GIVE UP YET!

I just tested it out in my 03 SL55. I used a standard 3.5" stereo cable (male both sides) and hooked it up to a 2.5" male to 3.5" female adaptor (from iPhone to standard stereo) which I plugged into the phone and made a call to my brother (who I told before hand what I was testing). We talked for about 30 sec as I tested various positions/volume/settings and everything worked fine! Sure beats $XXX for the bluetooth setup and it works with other devices as well (CD, MP3, etc).
Old 01-19-2008, 04:21 AM

-
Originally Posted by Cyrusx7
DONT GIVE UP YET!

I just tested it out in my 03 SL55. I used a standard 3.5" stereo cable (male both sides) and hooked it up to a 2.5" male to 3.5" female adaptor (from iPhone to standard stereo) which I plugged into the phone and made a call to my brother (who I told before hand what I was testing). We talked for about 30 sec as I tested various positions/volume/settings and everything worked fine! Sure beats $XXX for the bluetooth setup and it works with other devices as well (CD, MP3, etc).
Interesting, I wonder how the microphone works in situations like that.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 PM

ya, it worked fine. the trick is to get just the headphone type cable so that it doesn't look for the microphone on the cable and uses the mic on the iphone itself.

went to radio shack. $12 insulated cable (i stepped up from the $7 cable to keep the potential road noise down.) Plugged it in and listened to a little Lenny Kravitz, made some calls, received some calls, no problem at all.

no more CDs to worry about and of course it mutes and pauses the music when a call comes in.

viola!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 PM

04 SL55, 05 NSX, 05 996TT, 03 RR HSE, '08 S550
Didn't even know there was an iPod jack until I read this thread- thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part numbers for the cables you need???

Guys,

Thanks for this insight. I've been thinking about what to do on the phone side for ages... and this would be great if I can get it to work...

Currently, I have a regular iPod that I connect to the aux connector with the standard stereo cable that was mentioned.

However, if I went to the iPhone, it sounds like I need an additional cable to connect my 'standard stereo cable' to the iPhone?

Can you advise on what part number (Radio Shack?) you used please?

Also - just to confirm, you connected the iPhone up to the aux output and when you made a call on the iPhone you got the sound through the speakers and you could use the SL's built in microphone too... i.e. totally hands free??

If so - COOL! :-)

Thanks for any help on the part numbers - great posting! :-)

Geoff
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM

couple things...

1st, the mic in the car isn't involved, just the mic on the iphone itself, but everyone i called says it sounds pretty good. 'a little tinny', but no feedback, etc.

2nd, the iphone does usually need an adapter to get the cable down far enough to connect correctly, you can get those on ebay, but to save time i just trimmed down the plastic on the end i was going to plug into the iphone so that it got into the case and connected.

this should also work with the ipod (no trimming necessary) if they use the same size earphone jack (i know my nano does).. so you can give it a try before you get an iphone.

i don't have the part number, but just take in your earphones and get the same size and you're good to go. they'll tell you it doesn't work with an iphone because of the casing, but get it anyway.

good luck!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
another tip is you can do what a friend of mine did with the aux plug and have it moved to the center console so you can plug your iphone or ipod in there. much better accessibility
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info guys... much appreciated...

/g
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 AM
htn

sl55
Originally Posted by gqa
another tip is you can do what a friend of mine did with the aux plug and have it moved to the center console so you can plug your iphone or ipod in there. much better accessibility

how did he do it?? it looks quite complicated
Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 AM
gqa

05' sl 500
he actually had the shop do it. they said it wasn't that difficult. under $50 for the job. it's the same shop that hardwired my v1. i guess removing a few panels and a jack extension!