SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: V1 Radar problems in SL550 09

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
V1 Radar problems in SL550 09

Never new they had an infra red strip on the windshield that interferes with radar detectors. Had my v1 hardwired under the mirror and don't belive it's functioning correctly, where does it say in the manual where to place the radar detectors? Any opinions or suggestions gratefully accepted as this is driving me mad.......................I don't have distronic which I hear is a no no for detectors...............if I somehow placed the V1 to sit on top of the mirror and tried to use strong double sided tape would this be better, even though thats where they have the darkened tinted strip?

Had a CLS500 placed on the dash and never had a problem???
Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55AMG
Valentine specifically recommends NOT putting the detector behind the tint band. What is the bad performance you're seeing? And what leads you to believe it is the car and not the V1 unit? I recently sent mine back to Valentine to get fixed, but my problem was with powerering-up, not detecting.

The only time where I've actually noticed the vehicle impacting the V1's performance is in my Porsche when placed too close to the embedded antennae in the windshield (erratic warnings) and an increase in false laser warnings from LED taillights which I suspect has something to do with the distinctive hood-slope.

I've used the V1 with no problem in the SL, which also has an embedded antennae that doesn't seem to give me problems. I mount mine lower on the windshield, although in general the recommendation is higher-the-better. This just being a byproduct of driving convertibles with a radar detector where I find the lower mount to be a little less conspicuous and in-your-face.

Last edited by SDSL; 06-05-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
My V1 been working perfectly for years and in a CLS500........and with a 50% tint on the front windscreen..so no problems there...............I have it mounted under the mirror which is high up..I do not want it stuck to the windscreen for obvious security reasons.................I do agree that the embedded antenna appears on the 09 SL550(and I don't know if this was the same position in previous years) right down the middle, so this might be impacting the performance...you just get to know your equipment after a certain period of time and I think it's functioning in an erratic manner for whatever reason? Some have suggested that on the 09 there is a spot at 6 o'clock on the bottom centre of the windscreen that has no metallic strip, but with a V1 you would not be able to get the reverse directional arrows to work as the back shelf is too high.............Beats me