SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Definite Options.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Definite Options.....

Some of you fortunates have had your SL's for some time - others are waiting.

So those who optioned up their cars to the hilt - one question:

Is there any option you dislike, could do without, will not re-order, wish you had ordered or otherwise?

Be honest now - God is watching you....
Old 12-16-2002, 10:12 AM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
OPTIONS

My car is a Launch Edition SL 500, so it came from the factory without my selecting any additional options-- except MB tele. I would have liked the automatic tire pressure monitors.

I did talk with people who have experienced the "variable radar distanced" cruise control, and they don't like it-------because if you stay back just a bit from the car in front in heavy traffic, other cars keep cutting in on you--and it becomes a pain in the neck!

My car did come with the wooden steering wheel feature; I would not have ordered it, but now that I have it, I really like it--very distinctive and looks and "feels" neat.

It also came with the double Zenon lights which I would have ordered--and I wouldn't be without.

I also have the ventilated seat as well as mechanical lumbar thumpers -- I use these all the time. I also bought the full back seat styled suitcase----neat for long trips, but when full of stuff, a bit heavy for lifting w/o a valet. (No trouble putting it in and locking into position--looks classy!

I also, because of necessity, bought 4 new aftermarket AMG 5 spoke wheels for my 4 Pirelli SnoSport SNOW tires---so I don't have to mess with two different sizes of rims in Winter, etc.and at tire change time.

Giff Albright, of State College, PA (in the Allegheny Mountains of North Central PA)
Old 12-16-2002, 10:14 AM

2003 sl500
Smile

i love my keyless entry system.i carry no keys now and my chip is in a small wallet in my front pocket with my license and visa card.also a great conversation piece when you are showing off the car. i don't miss the sport package nor the radar system.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM

2003 SL500
I live in Florida and the ventilated seats are a must.

I did not get the Parktronic and I wish I had. The hood slopes quite a bit.

Previous car was an E Class with the MB star. Very easy parking because of the star. Without the star on the SL, parking can be difficult especially if you don't want to scratch your bumpers.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hmm.. i can't remember all the options on my dads but...

Keyless go, distronic (cruise control thingy), we got those seats that cool w/ three blue dots and massage ur butt and back, uhh, and some other stuff.. no parktronic tho, my dad and mom have no use for that stuff.. lol we don't really park anywhere that we need to use it

i love the keyless go cuz its a great show off thing and its actually useful when you don't have any pockets and stuff

love the distronic because when cars are close to u and they leave the car blows forward if u have like cruise speed set really high.

the three blue dot and two red dot active ventilation seats are a must in texas.. mainly HOUSTON!, because we have decently cold winters and hot summers.. and its a black car!

i love that Pulse feature, or the massager because if just feels sooo sweet!

we have no wooden steering wheel, i now think if i reordered the car.. or even ordered the car (bought it at premium.. i know, i'm stupid!) we woulda gotten it because it does look neat!

i'm trying to get my dad to get new rims... do they make non chrome ball bearing rims? the rims that keep spinning? my dad doesnt like chrome but i love those kinda rims!
Old 12-16-2002, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Leaving aside wood and wheel options, I would rate them as follows (some are standard already, depending on car/market):

Must Have
=======
Xenons, COMMAND, Parktronic, Tyre Monitoring (for the SL55), CD Changer

Nice
===
Keyless, Exclusive Leather, Garage Door Opener, Multi-Contour Seats, Built-In Hands-Free Phone, Seat heating, Fire Extinguisher

Marginal
======
Linguatronic, Comfort Seats, Distronic, Panoramic Roof

No Thanks!
========
TV, Roof Rack Prep
Old 12-16-2002, 05:27 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
addenda to GIFF Albright reply several above

I forgot to mention in my comments several entires above--- COMAND is standard, I believe on all US delivery models.

I also have a 6 CD changer(essential) and special soft leather seating and trim and "special roof lining" --very nice, and really adds class to interior.

(All of the above were "standard" in the "limited edition 2003 SL 500 Launch Editions" manufactured in 02/2002. I believe only 2,000 were so designated and equipped by MB.)

Fire extinguishers(mb acces.) and TV are not available in US models.

Giff Albright of State College, Pennsylvania, USA
Old 12-16-2002, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

yah command is standard for sl in usa .. well for sl500 it is.. lol

yah.. 6 cd here too!

not sure on the seats and roof lining.. u got a pic? i don't have a launch edition so i'm not sure.. loli wish we could get TV in usa..

the garage door is standard i think and same with the seat heater.. not sure

no fireextingisher here.. and the phone came with voice recognition.. V60 lol
Old 12-16-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
2003 sl500

1) SPORT PKG. a MUST .. 5,100.00

2) VENTILATED SEATS DON'T NEED....1,520.00

3) PANORAMA ROOF AWSOME.... $1800 YOU HAVE TO GET.

4) FACTORY V60 PHONE I HAVE IT THE PHONE IS GREAT BUT THE
PART IN THE CAR NOT THAT GOOD ESPECIALLY WITH THE TOP DOWN. 2,100.00

5) TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING CONSTANT ERROR MESSAGE PROBLEMS. 450.00 STINKS........DON'T BUY THIS ONE.

6) WOOD WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB IS A MUST FEELS GOOD ,LOOKS

GOOD,IS GOOD. 675.00 ?

7) CD CHANGER IS STANDARD.N/C

8) MY CAR HAD A LIST FOR $99,750.00

9) BLACK WITH STONE/CHESTNUT WOOD
Old 12-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I know that I'll repeat many opinions, but here it is...

The Panorama roof is an absolute essential if you live in an area where you need to drive with the top up for some time (fall, winter). By the way, it also helps tall drivers because it provides a little additional headroom.

Distronic; have a SL55 and never use cruise control so it looked like a waste of money to me.

The tire pressure monitor is good because the SL55 has no spare and it seems to work well.
Parktronic is great to have for tight spots and cheaper than the bodyshop

The Massage seats are great and the Bi-Xenons essential for night driving.

I am not sure about the wood steering wheel. I always had a wooden shift knob and had finally got the wood steering wheel combo on the CL500 (standard). Looked great, felt bad...Maybe my hands were to sweaty and it always looked "finger printed". Besides it wasn't an option on the SL55 which only gives you the standard "black" AMG steering wheel, which by the way, feels great and provides excellent control.
Oddly enough, I even like the SL55 shiftknob, it feels great (Alcantara/Leather combo)

Keyless Go is a Go! Best thing ever since I seem to lug too many things with me and always have my hands full. I still have to carry the key as well for valet parking etc. and I haven't found a good solution as I rather not carry a key at all.

Regarding the phone, unless it's bluetooth and a standard phone (not Mercedes only firmware), it's a sure way to spend the most money for the oldest technology.

In the US they give you a V.60 which is already at its end of life. The V.70 came out 6 months ago...

Sport package on SL500: I have mixed feelings about that one. The body panels are great with the exception that the rear bumper has a solid black plastic? insert. On the SL55 it is mesh metal which looks much better.
The problem are the wheels. They are the most boring looking rims, but they are staggered which improves the look of the car but increases the cost significantly since you can't rotate the wheels...

I wish they would offer the provide the option (not accessory) of the AMG Style IV wheels in 19". They look great in one or two-piece wheels.

I have the multispoke wheels which make the car stand out a little more but they are a pain to clean.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:55 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Ahhh, see, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for replying, I was curious about your preferences. Forums out on pano roof and a few other things like TV, but you all have a mighty fine automobile, whatever extras you chose.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

yah, pano is a must.. we got that too..

i can have endless hours of enoyment just sliding the mesh cover back and front! lol

i still want my dad to ditch the old stock seven spoke sl500 rims and get some spinning rims.. but alas.. i can't find any non chrome! lol
Old 12-18-2002, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by vraa
yah, pano is a must.. we got that too..

i can have endless hours of enoyment just sliding the mesh cover back and front! lol

i still want my dad to ditch the old stock seven spoke sl500 rims and get some spinning rims.. but alas.. i can't find any non chrome! lol
Most people who want those kind of rims want to be noticed by all means. And chrome is the only way to go buddy. Besides, allow will not give you the same *bling* *bling* effect when the sun is out and they are clean.